PDA

View Full Version : Problem with difference of spell description formatting between PC xml and mod xml

Farnaby
June 2nd, 2015, 17:21
Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me out because I am nearly screaming in frustration here. :(

I am creating a new spell library from scratch and using the effects from the character files so
that they get dragged from the library onto the pc sheet. So far so good.

Now I get to the description. I formatted everything with multiple line breaks, tables, etc.
In the character sheet xml the description is type=string.
This doesn't work in the mod as it should be type=formattedtext and uses html formatting tags.
So I redid all the formatting with <p> and <b> and, and, and.
In the library description, it looks perfect, but when I drag the spell to the character sheet and
look at the description, it's all screwed up because it uses the type=string formatting and not the type=formattedtext formatting.

*!%# is putting it mildly. ;)

Is there anyway around this?

Trenloe
June 2nd, 2015, 17:35
Ruleset?

Farnaby
June 2nd, 2015, 17:45
Sorry, PFRPG

Trenloe
June 2nd, 2015, 17:57
There's no specific way around it (without writing your own extension which would break other people's character XML or require conversion during import). The best approach is coding your module formattedtext to be more compatible with the string control.

Or, getting SmiteWorks to change the control to a formattedtext control.

Farnaby
June 2nd, 2015, 18:21
I take it that the latter would be putting it on the wish list?

Trenloe
June 2nd, 2015, 18:23
I take it that the latter would be putting it on the wish list?
You got it! :)

Moon Wizard
June 2nd, 2015, 22:30
Well, the issue is that the spell description parsing engine (picks out effects, rolls, etc.) for the PFRPG ruleset can't parse formatted text, so the spells were all entered as regular text strings to allow that to happen. Changing the field to a formatted text field at this point requires a lot of moving parts (all modules in community, all modules in store, all character files, etc.).

Regards,
JPG