PDA

View Full Version : The Heroes Path Tuesday

Nickademus
June 1st, 2015, 16:55
Group is currently full.
Due to some player withdraws, we will be starting this AP over from the beginning of the Prelude (many of the current players came in after it). New players will have missed nothing.

Heroes Path Custom AP

System: Pathfinder (knowledge of system not required)
Character Creation: Custom (no character needed beforehand)
Slot: 7 pm-11 pm EST on Tuesday
Campaign Emphasis: role-playing and character development
Tools: FG and Team Speak

Out of the blue, a letter arrives from Uncle Ved. This could be your chance! A chance to get out of this backwater village and make a name for yourself. After all the storybooks you’ve read of knights and heroes slaying dragons and defeating armies of orcs, maybe Uncle Ved will bring you and your friends to the Frontier to adventure with him…

This game is what is called a 'Zero-Level Campaign' or Peasant Campaign. It takes place in a fantasy world where you play boys and girls just coming of age. No one has gained any PC levels or even experience traveling. The only source of character knowledge about the outside world is the stories of the peddlers and the storybooks they bring. An uncle of one of the PCs is a powerful mage out beyond the borders of the kingdom and has paid for the children to receive a higher grade of education than most peasants can afford. Thus your parents were not surprised when you received a letter at the end of your schooling requesting a visit. It seems the mage has plans for you.

Character receive a level of a custom NPC class to start and must work to discover and earn their first PC class. The Frontier area is wild with only a small population of well-fleshed out NPCs that offer more than just a place to rest and sell. They each have personalities and agendas and can potentially help the characters earn their PC class and more. Your characters become more than visiting adventurers. You become a part of the area, known by people and possibly even a part of the community.

The Frontier also just happens to be where the highest concentration of ancient ruins are. Perfect for daydreaming adventurers. The campaign is largely sandbox with periods of concentrated questing and downtime. There are several overarching plotlines that could be considered the 'main plot' of the campaign, as well as a plethora of optional content for the youths to adequately get in trouble.

This campaign also features some unusual changes and new optional content (for those bored with the standard fantasy fare). For instance, some of the changes are that there are no gods in this world (not to say there are no religions) and a new AC value has been added.

Some things I like to mention upfront. I have found that the style of this adventure path doesn’t suit everyone. There are some elements that veer away from a standard Pathfinder game. Below are some of the aspects of this game that you could find enjoyable or unenjoyable.

• Slower XP progression, similar to older versions of D&D
• Story-based group XP that focuses on accomplishments instead of just combat
• Lack of divine entities and thus a minimal presence of NPC divine magic
• Small, mostly wilderness campaign area with only towns and villages
• Deeper interaction with local NPCs and the ability for the PCs to make the Frontier their home rather than just a place to visit
• Over arching plotlines with large periods of sandbox exploration
• Low magic and technology level
• Low wealth per level and low wealth limit for NPC vendors (crafting is advised)
• Non-human races are much more reclusive with humans dominating the land
• Utilizes premade material from D&D 2nd and 3.x Ed., mostly from the Kingdoms of Kalamar setting (if you are a veteran of D&D you may encounter material you are familiar with)

There are a few new options in this adventure path that may appeal to a veteran player or someone wishing to try something new. Below are hints at these additions.
• a new standard race: half-hobgoblin
• a pair of new classes utilizing a new magic system
• an herbalism crafting system to produce tonics and poultices
• itinerant crafting and spell research system for mobile parties
• new fields of Knowledge to support mass combat

Joining the Adventure
If you feel this style of AP is something that you would enjoy, send me a private message letting me know of your interest. It will be about a month before the content is converted over to FG and then we will start.

Nickademus
June 5th, 2015, 12:35
Two spots left. The first game will be June 16th. The server will be available for character creation on June 9th.

Draca
June 5th, 2015, 15:36
Ive never played pathfinder , but the slower progression and low item/magic along with the setting youve mentioned sounds good to me.
Those items your addressing in this AP are some of the reasons i didnt play 3.5.
Currently running and playing in 5e games , but im almost always open on tuesdays and the time is good as well.
Let me know if you still need additional players.
Id enjoy giving this a go.

KingofKlubs
June 6th, 2015, 19:49
Are there spaces left? I would love to get in on this

Please disregard last message as my circumstances have changed quite suddenly

rhoule6819
June 6th, 2015, 22:11
Are there any spot left in the group? This is my type of campaign and the hours fit perfect for me. I am an experienced gamer who has and still plays pathfinder in my weekly tabletop group. I have been searching for a group like this for a while and with the correct group i believe this can be a great campaign.

Thanks,

Nickademus
July 25th, 2015, 00:11
A slot has opened in this game. The party is still working towards gaining 1st-level. Things are a bit rocky in the plot right now (so expect some craziness) but a character could be easily integrated.

If interested, send me a pm.

Nickademus
July 28th, 2015, 01:49
Full group once again.

Taonna
July 30th, 2015, 04:24
If a slot opens let me know