PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Armor Master effect

Daxis32
May 31st, 2015, 04:33
Can someone help me write an effect to reduce bludgeoning, piercing and slashing damage by 3.

Zacchaeus
May 31st, 2015, 09:57
Right now the RESIST and IMMUNE keywords can't be used to reduce something by a specific amount. However in the forthcoming update (I believe next week) there is numerical support for the RESIST and IMMUNE keywords. For more see this post https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24097-Test-Release-v3-1-0

Once this is available then you can write an effect which will allow FG to calculate the correct damage when someone is hit and has that effect on them.

Draca
May 31st, 2015, 14:16
Until then, create a 3 pt heal to be applied after taking any damage that needs to be reduced.

Mavrik6666
May 31st, 2015, 15:30
or an effect you put on the monster that reduces damage by 3... after they have hit you of course :) DMG: -3

Mavrik6666
June 2nd, 2015, 12:35
Now the update is here, what is the syntax for the RESIST damage -
RESIST: 3, all
doesn't seem to work

Trenloe
June 2nd, 2015, 14:21
Now the update is here, what is the syntax for the RESIST damage -
RESIST: 3, all
doesn't seem to work
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24097-Test-Release-v3-1-0&p=214177&viewfull=1#post214177

kalannar
June 2nd, 2015, 14:31
Its RESIST: 3 slashing, bludgeoning, piercing, !magic

Mavrik6666
June 2nd, 2015, 16:40
while inputed as above, it seems to be just resist - and halves the damage

Trenloe
June 2nd, 2015, 16:50
while inputed as above, it seems to be just resist - and halves the damage
It works fine when I test it.

Make sure you've updated any extensions you're using - especially the player effect removal extension.

Mavrik6666
June 2nd, 2015, 17:13
hmmm have removed the old remove ext, and downloaded the one from the top of the link - but when I add it to the folder, it doesnt appear in the campaign details like it use to, and when I load a campaign it isnt there ... thoughts ?

Mavrik6666
June 2nd, 2015, 17:21
but.... now it cant see the remove.ext the resist works :)

Trenloe
June 2nd, 2015, 17:34
hmmm have removed the old remove ext, and downloaded the one from the top of the link - but when I add it to the folder, it doesnt appear in the campaign details like it use to, and when I load a campaign it isnt there ... thoughts ?
Works fine for me. You got the new extension from here? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23566-5E-Player-Effect-Removal-Extension

Mavrik6666
June 2nd, 2015, 17:46
The Remove effect Tag extension appears in other campaign types... 3.5e -but not 4e or 5e... and does appear in PFRGP, but not core.... is there an xml file issue somewhere ?

Trenloe
June 2nd, 2015, 17:47
The Remove effect Tag extension appears in other campaign types... 3.5e -but not 4e or 5e... and does appear in PFRGP, but not core.... is there an xml file issue somewhere ?
You've downloaded the wrong one - use the one from the link I provided above. There are different extensions for 3.5e/PF and 5E.

Mavrik6666
June 2nd, 2015, 17:53
Done, and done.. thanks Trenloe, yes I was downloading from a link that was for the other rulesets

Daxis32
June 3rd, 2015, 00:32
Is there a way to permanently assign this affect to a character? I tried typing it in Special Defense but that does nothing.

Moon Wizard
June 3rd, 2015, 02:39
Just add to PC in combat tracker with a duration of zero.

Cheers,
JPG

Elihu
June 3rd, 2015, 08:21
Until then, create a 3 pt heal to be applied after taking any damage that needs to be reduced.

Please explain how you do that.

Mavrik6666
June 3rd, 2015, 08:29
Elihu - the way I do it is create an entry in the Action tab of the character sheet.... add an effect, and edit the effect to say
RESIST: 3 slashing, bludgeoning, piercing, !magic
this lets the player or the DM drag that effect onto the tracker, so its there all the time.... to add to this, best rule of thumb is never remove the players form the tracker

Elihu
June 3rd, 2015, 08:59
Elihu - the way I do it is create an entry in the Action tab of the character sheet.... add an effect, and edit the effect to say
this lets the player or the DM drag that effect onto the tracker, so its there all the time.... to add to this, best rule of thumb is never remove the players form the tracker

I don't see that I see add a power or add a weapon. there is no option for me to add an effect in the action tab of a character sheet.

However I was able to just put the RESIST: 3 slashing, bludgeoning, piercing, !magic line on the fighters Effects on the Combat Tracker like you said and I tested it. It Works!!!
TYVM :)

Zacchaeus
June 3rd, 2015, 13:21
I don't see that I see add a power or add a weapon. there is no option for me to add an effect in the action tab of a character sheet.

Here's how.

1. Open the character and click on the actions tab.
2. At the very bottom right hand side of the sheet you will see a little brownish dot with a white slash, click on this.
3. You will now see two blue symbols beside the dot one with a star and one with a sword, click on the one with the star
4. You will now see that there is a new line in the actions tab below a heading of "powers". Below that you will see two boxes, one with <<name>> in it and the other blank.
5. In the Name box type in whatever you want to call your new power, let's say Heavy Armour Power or whatever. In the other box you can type in something like Feat. Now tab out of the line and you will see that the heading has changed from "Powers" to whatever you typed into the second box.
6. Now right click over the words Heavy Armour and you will get a radial menu. Mouse over the options until you see the one marked "Add Action" ( It's an arrow).
7. This will bring up a second menu and again mouse over the options until you see the one marked "Add effect". (It's a little man). Click on this.
8. You will now see that a new line has been added below the feat description. You'll see a little button with the man on it, a blank line, another that says "0 rd" in it and at the very right hand side a little magnifying glass. Click on the magnifying glass to bring up a dialog box.
9. In the dialog in the Description/conditions/modifiers box type in Heavy Armour Master; RESIST: 3 slashing, bludgeoning, piercing, !magic
10. You can leave the duration blank and in the targetting box click until it shows "SELF". You can also leave the expend as it is.
11. Now close the dialog and click on the little brown button at the bottom right of the page.
12. You can now drag the effect onto the player in the Combat tracker.
13. Done

You can use this method to set up many different effects so that a good deal of what happens in combat can be automated. Have a look at the Wiki as suggested above for more information. I'd suggest also having a look at the tutorial videos.

Mavrik6666
June 3rd, 2015, 16:06
Yeh - what he said :)

Daxis32
June 9th, 2015, 01:48

Works for normal damage but need help setting up the magic attacks. How do I setup a weapon to have the magic property? For example a longsword +1. Or a creatures attack in a stat block?

someoneinatree
June 9th, 2015, 02:48
How do I setup a weapon to have the magic property?

It's tracked using damage type. So a magic longsword +1's damage roll should do "1d8+1 slashing, magic" damage.

This is the same for creature attacks that count as magical for the purposes of damage resistance etc. as well.

Mavrik6666
June 9th, 2015, 09:11
Daxis - In the player character sheet, on the actions tab, where the weapons attacks are, you can just click the little lasso and on the damage Type add the word magic (lowercase) after the existing - slashing - piercing etc. That make the damage type magic for over coming resistance etc

Daxis32
June 9th, 2015, 23:28
Thisis Rezmir's (HotDQ) magic sword. She is a NPC.

"Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d6 + 6) slashing damage plus 7 (2d6) necrotic damage. If the target is a creature, it can't regain hit points for 1 minute. The target can make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending this effect early on a success."

if I change it to this,

"Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d6 + 6) slashing, magic damage plus 7 (2d6) necrotic, magic damage. If the target is a creature, it can't regain hit points for 1 minute. The target can make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending this effect early on a success."

the program will not parse the weapon damage. Ideas?

Thegroo
June 10th, 2015, 01:20
From the Patch notes 3.1.0:
NPC actions with the text "This is a magic weapon attack" will add the magic modifier to damage rolls made with that action.

Daxis32
June 10th, 2015, 01:24
From the Patch notes 3.1.0:
NPC actions with the text "This is a magic weapon attack" will add the magic modifier to damage rolls made with that action.

Awesome! Thanks!

Mavrik6666
June 10th, 2015, 08:02
Does this mean all of the modules need updating, with the addition of 'This is a magic weapon attack'

Daxis32
June 10th, 2015, 15:15
Does this mean all of the modules need updating, with the addition of 'This is a magic weapon attack'

I could be wrong with this but it seems they don't modify the raw data (text) from the campaigns but rather let their parsing engine do the heavy lifting. So if it doesn't specifically mention it in they text in the book it won't be in FG and you would have to manually change it yourself.

Zacchaeus
June 10th, 2015, 19:06

The phrase "This is a magic weapon attack" generally refers to something which wouldn't normally be magical such as a fist attack or something like that. This phrase is what Wizards use in their material specifically the Monster Manual to indicate that the attack should be treated as magical. Prior to the recent update FG would not parse this phrase but now it does. So, any modules already in existence shouldn't need updating since the phrase existed before. Anything using a custom NPC that doesn't specifically use this phrase would need looked at, however the ones in the Monster Manual should work I believe.

Griogre
June 10th, 2015, 19:37
It should be noted that the phrase is parsed "on drop" so if you had something on the combat tracker before the change it still wouldn't work until you re-dropped (not likely for monsters I know, but may be true for long term party NPCs).

Daxis32
June 10th, 2015, 20:44
In HotDQ Rezmir has a magic sword but the text doesn't mention that so I had to manually update it.