PDA

View Full Version : Skype vs Hangout

Daxis32
May 31st, 2015, 01:11
Which do you prefer? Had our first session with Skype. Went a little long (7 hours) .skype video is limited to 4 hours. But most of the time the video was hidden behind FG anyway.

Mask_of_winter
May 31st, 2015, 02:03
I prefer TeamSpeak. I don't have the bandwidth to handle video and don't care much for all the background noise. Push-to-talk is much better.

damned
May 31st, 2015, 03:07
the nice thing about Hangout/Video is being able to more accurately see who is talking - especially on one shots when it can be hard to remember who is who!

i also use TeamSpeak as my preferred comms unless I need video then I use Hangouts.

Daxis32
May 31st, 2015, 04:55
Ya, buy Teamspeak takes a server. Costs money.

Mask_of_winter
May 31st, 2015, 04:57
FG has a free TeamSpeak server for anybody to use.

kavaliro
May 31st, 2015, 05:06
My preferred chat program is mumble. There's really no comparison at all. Mumble is superior to every other option in every way that matters to me; sound quality, latency, bandwidth, overlays, encryption, and very importantly, vastly superior hotkey management. However, most of the people I game with are bonkers for teamspeak (for reasons that I don't understand.) As a consequence, I've been using teamspeak a lot.

I use Skype, for the same reasons. Some of the people that I game with have a love affair with it.

I also use Hangouts. If there's video involved, it's the easiest option that is good.

So:

If you are doing only voice (and why would you use video and fantasy grounds at the same time?) then you should prefer Mumble. When I say it's technically better than teamspeak, I've done side-by-side comparisons, and it really is better. Failing that, use Teamspeak. It's an acceptable option in most cases, even though it tends to leak memory and has a wretched overlay that doesn't work (Overwolf.) Under no circumstances should you choose Skype for voice or video on purpose. It's not good.

If you are doing video, Google Hangouts is really your only legitimate option. I'm not saying "look no further;" it's good to try lots of options. But you'll find it's the best thing around that everyone has access to without jumping through a ton of hoops.

Seriously: if it's your choice, choose mumble. Try everything, but mumble is the Bruce Lee of voice chat. Nothing else comes close.

But MaskofWinter is right; there's a TS server that's available for free use for fantasy grounds games. No muss, no fuss, no paying for a server.

Daxis32
May 31st, 2015, 05:26
FG has a free TeamSpeak server for anybody to use.

Can you point me to the information?

Mask_of_winter
May 31st, 2015, 05:43
The sticky thread right here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server

damned
May 31st, 2015, 06:41
the server is completely free for you to use for your Fantasy Grounds gaming.

viresanimi
May 31st, 2015, 10:20
Yep... Mumble is great and very unappreciated.

Vires Animi

kilma.ard.venom
May 31st, 2015, 10:59
My preferred chat program is mumble.The same here. We'd played two sessions via TS and then replaced it with mumble. It was my players decision. They are into Dota, CS and other multiplayer games, so I've just put myself in their hands. =)

Don't like Skype. It seems so bulky and unhandy to me.

Hangouts is a nice app. Haven't ever tried videocalls though.

seycyrus
May 31st, 2015, 14:46
Can you point me to the information?

So, I use teamspeak. I don't use the FG server. I just set myself up as the server. It doesn't cost me anything.

Mavrik6666
May 31st, 2015, 15:25
you should have a look at OoVoO.... skype clone, but nice sidebar layout, for a good fit with FG, you can turn off others camera feed to keep up bandwidth, good audio controls.. and its free .... usable for upto 12 people on a call

https://www.oovoo.com

kavaliro
May 31st, 2015, 16:44
The biggest problem I have with skype is that the quality of the call is based on the bandwidth of the person who initializes the call, and the number of people connecting. Comms with one person, maybe two, are fine. After that, things degrade quickly.

I'm part of a group that plays SIFRP (A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying Game.) that group uses skype. But we don't use skype for voice, we use it for persistent text chat. That's a whole bag of wtf in its own right; IRC, and if not IRC, create a subreddit, and if not a subreddit, there's a hundred other services out there that will work better than skype. But there it is. Skype is buggy and it leaks memory. It doesn't behave properly as a UI, and is very inflexible. In truth, I need to wean them off of skype for text, too.

epithet
June 2nd, 2015, 23:21
We use Skype for no real reason other than we've all got it installed, we've been using it, and change is scary.

I've used the new Curse client for MMO gaming, and it seems to work quite well.

kavaliro
June 2nd, 2015, 23:52
We use Skype for no real reason other than we've all got it installed, we've been using it, and change is scary.

I've used the new Curse client for MMO gaming, and it seems to work quite well.

I worry about anything coming from curse though; they can't keep their website running, so now I should install a chat client they created? I think I'll pass on that. I know mumble is rock solid.

MartianKat
July 19th, 2015, 17:20
I prefer TeamSpeak. I don't have the bandwidth to handle video and don't care much for all the background noise. Push-to-talk is much better.

I know your reply here was a while ago, but I figured I'd mention that you can 1. mute your mic in Skype and 2. set a PTT button for use in Skype.

I can use any chat software fortunately. I think someone else mentioned that an issue with Skype that call quality for video is really dependent on the strength of the call initiator. That's true, sadly. I've done gaming through Mumble, Skype, Hangouts, and Teamspeak. While Teamspeak is my preferred chat software, I'd say that Hangouts would be a close 2nd. I prefer Skype if i'm going to stream games through Twitch though, because it picks up the mics of all in the call on the stream and I don't have to worry about making sure i'm pressing the button to talk.

MartianKat
July 19th, 2015, 17:24
I played a game through Hangouts with video calling. That was pretty cool. They have a few neat apps for dice rolling, and also to get graphics on the screen to represent characters. That's in addition to the toolbox that they already have. It's pretty stable too.

Honken
July 20th, 2015, 07:31
We use skype. It works for us. Without video. 4 players.

/H

damned
July 20th, 2015, 12:40
Hey Honken a little OT - my apologies - but do you or your players have an interest in a Tuesday 7pm (your time) 5e campaign?
AxitMaster https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?34074-AxitMaster is looking for a couple more players in your TZ.

Honken
July 21st, 2015, 11:26
Well, sounds kinda interesting. I will look into it. Thanks. And yes, still OT. :P

/H

Xorn
July 21st, 2015, 18:39
With video... Roll20.

Blasphemy, right!? I've tried Skype, ooVoo, Hangouts, even Teamviewer (has video conferencing) and Roll20's video feed works the best of them. Audio is clean, video is smooth, and it's remotely hosted. I especially like that everyone can change their handle to their character name, and then if they disconnect and reconnect, their name follows them in our stream feed.

For non-video, RaidCall all the way. Fantastic quality, remotely hosted 200 person chat channels.