PDA

View Full Version : Allowing Players to Use PHB Tokens

Wiglaf Smith
May 30th, 2015, 22:15
I'm having problems with allowing the players to get access to the tokens that I am able to see as the GM. I have the Ult License and the full PHB, so I clearly can use and assign portraits and tokens freely. However, my players say they cannot see any tokens beyond the ten or so basic tokens provided. How can I provided players with viewing access of these?

Zacchaeus
May 30th, 2015, 22:25
Short answer is that you can't. At least not for anything which is 'official', and by that I mean the intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast. If, however, you have other portraits that you have bought, or created, you can place these in the portraits folder in AppData/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds/portraits. You can also do this with tokens you have bought but they go in the tokens/shared folder. Having said that I believe that doing so might well slow down connection of your players.

Normally the players don't need to have access to tokens at all, but I can see why they might want to choose their own portraits.

I will now sit back and await the many corrections that are likely to result from what I have just said :)

JohnD
May 30th, 2015, 22:37
Take a screenshot of the PHB portraits selection screen, share it and let them tell you which one they want.

Larac
May 31st, 2015, 00:44
Or use the Party Sheet dump them in there and then move the one they want over.

Draca
May 31st, 2015, 02:17
I saved mine to a .ppk file and drop boxed the portraits to my players, they load the file into their fantasy grounds portrait folder and then they have access from their own pc.
of course after reading the post again that wont help at all. Since yours are specific to your ruleset.

I went a different route and made my own portraits with matching tokens.

damned
May 31st, 2015, 03:00
its an historical architecture/design decision that may be changed in the near future.... IIRC from another post...
you can assign them for the players or they can find their own.
the screen shot thing is a pit of a pain - but you only do it once.
if players are doing their own (or you) the displayed image size is typically 63x63px. Some rulesets also use the portrait as a token and the most common sizes of grid/token that are in use are:

50px
64px
100px
128px

so a maxmimum image size of 128x128px is best for memory optimisation (and yes - it can matter once the number of assets you have starts building up) - anything more is wasted as it just gets downscaled at game time.