PDA

View Full Version : Question on creating 5E NPCs

Uzzo
May 30th, 2015, 00:50
Hey everyone.

Just starting out, and making some low level NPCs for a custom-built campaign. When I make an NPC, I put in something like: "DAGGER[M] [ATK:0] [DMG:1]" which works. This gives no bonus to the d20 attack roll, and does one damage on a hit (This is for a first level adventure). Problem is that when I load that NPC into the Combat Tracker, and click on the "Attack" icon, it loads that Dagger information as all lower case. It ends up with, "Dagger[m] [atk:0] [dmg:1]", which does not work. If I go through and manually change it to all caps again, it works fine. Am I missing something, maybe an escape character to keep the all caps in the Action? Thanks for any help.

- Uzzo

Thegroo
May 30th, 2015, 01:04
FG parses the text and you have to format it like this:

Dagger
Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 piercing damage.

When you then drag the NPC to the Combat tracker, it will look like this:
Dagger [M] [ATK: +0] [DMG: 1 piercing]

damned
May 30th, 2015, 01:42
Dagger.
Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 (1) slashing damage

damned
May 30th, 2015, 01:43
Doh - left this sitting too long :) Thanks Thegroo!

Larac
May 30th, 2015, 02:37
Learning the arcane writings of FG can be frustrating.

Not as bad as having to deal with Verizon, by any means.

Uzzo
May 30th, 2015, 06:57
Works like a charm. Thanks everyone!

Griogre
June 2nd, 2015, 16:04
Just for anyone in the future. NPC's and Monsters should use the exact same language as you would see in the Monster Manual when you are setting up their attacks. Use the same text and just change the numbers. FG's internal drag and drop parser expects it that way when a monster/NPC is dropped on the combat tracker. The idea is to *avoid* making the DM have to know what "DAGGER[M] [ATK:0] [DMG:1]" means.

epithet
June 2nd, 2015, 22:24
Is there any move toward enabling drag-and-drop action creation from a weapon from the PHB? E.g., drop a sword on the NPC actions and have it create the entry with the stat bonus and proficiency bonus based on CR?

Moon Wizard
June 2nd, 2015, 23:09
There are no plans currently, but an interesting idea. I think it might be in line behind several other desired 5E features.

You can throw on the wish list to let us keep track.

Regards,
JPG

Larac
June 4th, 2015, 07:12
Think it is there already

damned
June 4th, 2015, 12:29
Think it is there already

For PCs yes but not for NPCs.

Larac
June 5th, 2015, 02:40
Opps meant on the Wish list.