PDA

View Full Version : Which version for LIVE gameplay?

Madeiner
May 28th, 2015, 19:14
Hi there.

I am a DM of a group of players. We play 5e face-to-face, but i'm using dual laptops to run maptools (DM for me, another laptop for all the players).

Can i switch to fantasy ground in that configuration? Do we need internet access to play, or can we use LAN?
Which license should i buy? Is a single 40 dollars license able to support the server + one client?

Mavrik6666
May 28th, 2015, 19:44
I am fairly sure you can connect one user in demo mode, so wouldn't need a licence if you are one DM and one player in effect... and will work on the LAN.... I am sure people that have used it longer can confirm.... have you tried it with the demo licence, to test ?

I guess my question is why ? FG is great for combat tracker, rules sets, encounter building... but having used lots of VTT's, the mapping is pretty basic, if you are doing it for ease of DM'ing, - combat tracker, effects, autocalc stuff is great... i think that's a good way, if you want to improve or enhance the player visual experience, hmmm I think it probably wont - IMHO

Nylanfs
May 28th, 2015, 19:58
The problem with that Mavrik is that anything in Demo Mode isn't saved so he would need a full license to run the GM side, and one for the players. Although what do the players do with the laptop? Is it just viewing the maps and such? You can connect a 2nd instance connecting to localhost and send that prog to an external monitor/tv/projector.

Moon Wizard
May 28th, 2015, 20:08
As Nylanfs mentioned.

If you are just needing a second screen to show the users material and combat tracker, or projecting the map onto a surface, then you can run two instances of FG on the same machine using a single license. Just start a second instance of FG and connect to "localhost" instead of an IP address.

If you are using the second laptop to allow users to interact with the tabletop during the game, then you would need a standard license for each machine. The laptops would connect using FG over the local IP address.

Regards,
JPG

Griogre
May 28th, 2015, 20:09
To the OP, to exactly mimic your current system you would need two licenses and you could connect through a LAN using the local IP address. However as Nylanfs pointed out you could also just get one license and instead of two computers just use two *monitors* and two instances of FG on one computer which would just require one license.

A lot depends on what you are doing on the second computer and why. Probably the demo mode wouldn't work well for you because of the no saving but again it depends on why you have the second computer.

damned
May 29th, 2015, 01:44
FG doesnt have dynamic lighting but otherwise its use of maps is pretty bloody amazing IMO.
Targetting on maps etc - bloody brilliant. It will enhance your TT experience I think.
You will need a license on both computers though - or an ultimate on the GM machine.

Xorn
May 29th, 2015, 17:38
I don't like dynamic lighting. There, I said it. Just let me carve away what the players see. I think dynamic lighting looks neat--but in practice it's usually just a distraction.

Larac
May 29th, 2015, 22:10
For 3.5 with many different vision modes and rages it makes sense.

For 5e not needed IMHO.

Got 2 getting a 3rd who live in other states now playing is what really matters.

:)