PDA

View Full Version : 5E combat questions

Karykzen
May 28th, 2015, 14:33
While I know what the PHB says on some of these, I wanted to get the community's take on some of these combat rules since other players in a campaign I am in have brought up some good points (albeit they may be considered home rules).

#1) Opportunity Attacks: PHB says "an attack", but if a character is duel wielding or is high enough level to make multiple attacks, would the character get those extra attacks as well?

#2) Opportunity Attacks (rogue's sneak attack): If a creature moves by a rogue who is hiding where the movement triggers an opportunity attack, can the rogue's sneak attack damage be applied to the opportunity attack assuming it hits?

#3) Opportunity Attacks Movement: PHB says that the character/creature that provokes the opportunity attack has its movement interrupted. Does this mean that they lose the rest of their movement or can they continue to move after the attack?

#4) Disengage: Does this action apply to only one creature or multiple? I'll provide some examples.

Example A) A character has three creatures around them. They decide to disengage and run. Does this apply to all three creatures or only one (if only one, would the other two get attacks of opportunities, etc.)?

Example B) A character is fighting one creature and takes the disengage action to move. Their movement moves them though other creates that they were not fighting. Is the disengage "global" or would the other creatures the character moves by get attacks of opportunities?

Thanks,
Karykzen

Mavrik6666
May 28th, 2015, 14:48
I'm no official rules lawyer but...

Opportunity Attack is a reaction, and as such dual weapon and extra attacks can't be used, its one attack- text says ' use your reaction to make one melee attack'

Sneak Attack can be used once per turn - so as this is the creatures turn, yes sneak attack would apply

OA Movement - The OA interrupts the movement, but as the creature can break its movement up anyway, it can continue on its way - provided of course its still alive and doesn't have an effect that stop it. Some fighter maneuvers stop the movement as an ability or effect

Disengage - If you disengage, then your movement for the rest of the turn does not provoke opportunity attacks from any creatures

hope that helps

Larac
May 28th, 2015, 23:33
Sneak Attack can be used once per turn - so as this is the creatures turn, yes sneak attack would apply

This one I would be wary of, as a GM.
In our games it is once in the players turn,
YMMV

damned
May 29th, 2015, 01:05
Just curious Larac if the hidden rogue had not yet attacked this round would you allow the sneak attack on the AoO?
I would agree that it should only be once per Turn but I dont see any harm in lettuing it happen on the AoO - except that as it is a very powerful attack perhaps it needs to be pre-meditated?

Xorn
May 29th, 2015, 01:13
1) Extra Attack only takes effect when you take an Attack Action, on your turn, so an Opportunity Attack (a reaction, outside your turn) gets shot down twice for extra attacks. Dual Wielding is a Bonus Action that accompanies an Attack Action, so again doesn't work with Opportunity Attacks.

2) Yes, a rogue's Sneak Attack damage can be applied once per turn as opposed to once per round--as long as you meet the other requirements during that Opportunity Attack.

3) They "stop" moving while you resolve the attack. If that attack disrupts their movement, reduces their speed, etc, that's the square they are in after the attack. They can continue to use any remaining movement they have though after the attack.

4) The Disengage Action states that your movement does not provoke opportunity attacks. Both A & B will not provoke from movement. Note that the Sentinel feat specifically states it overrides Disengage.

EDIT @ damned: Yes, the AoO can benefit from Sneak Attack. Once per turn means on each combatants turn, as opposed to once per round which is one time through the initiative count.

Griogre
May 29th, 2015, 02:18
However, practically speaking, it would be very rare that the Rogue gets more two than two sneak attacks off per round - one during his turn and one on an AoO.

Larac
May 29th, 2015, 21:48
Just curious Larac if the hidden rogue had not yet attacked this round would you allow the sneak attack on the AoO?
I would agree that it should only be once per Turn but I dont see any harm in lettuing it happen on the AoO - except that as it is a very powerful attack perhaps it needs to be pre-meditated?

Sure not an issue, just do not want the following.

Rogue is hidden at a doorway.
Mage comes in other side and casts Fear.

Every NPC running through gets a Sneak Attack done to them as each is on another turn.

Just feels wrong, to me is all. I think the OA is more than reasonable.

Also I see Sneak Attack as a timed precision attack, Once a round seems good for that.
Poking each person as they run by seems like a rushed attack.

But everyone has their own quirks.

Zacchaeus
May 29th, 2015, 22:15

Every NPC running through gets a Sneak Attack done to them as each is on another turn.

I think it would be reasonable in such a situation that you could rule that after the rogue had made his first attack he was no longer hiding, or at least any following NPCs would be aware of the rogue and so he would not have advantage on his attack roll and so he wouldn't get any more sneak attacks. As you (and others) have said though it's situational and in some circumstances, particularly if the PCs have been clever, more than one sneak attack per turn would not be overly powerful. It hasn't come up a lot in my games since the rogue in my party is using range and relies on one of the other party members getting into proximity to his target for his sneak attacks rather than hiding.

Trenloe
May 30th, 2015, 02:00

AoO is a reaction. You only get one reaction a round ("When you take a reaction, you can't take another one until the start of your next turn") so, in this example, the rogue would only get a sneak attack against one of the NPCs running past, or none if the rogue had already used a reaction.

Zacchaeus
May 30th, 2015, 22:16
AoO is a reaction. You only get one reaction a round ("When you take a reaction, you can't take another one until the start of your next turn") so, in this example, the rogue would only get a sneak attack against one of the NPCs running past, or none if the rogue had already used a reaction.

A very good point, Mr Homes!

Larac
May 31st, 2015, 00:47
If that is the case, too many editions in my head at times, then I need to think on it, but leaning towards allowing it.