PDA

View Full Version : Looking for guid to creat custom spells or powers

Daxis32
May 27th, 2015, 19:00
How do I get like the automated "Heal" or "Dmg" or "Save" button to show up when creating a custom power or spell.

Moon Wizard
May 27th, 2015, 19:08
The 5E ruleset looks for the "words" that are used in the rulebook to denote damage and heal rolls. If you follow the same format, then the ruleset can pick up the rolls when it parses the spell description. The spell description is parsed when the spell is dropped onto the Actions tab from another source (i.e. module), or you can select the right click menu and the Re-parse option.

Heal Example:
"A creature you touch (regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier.)"

Damage Example:
"A target (takes 8d6 fire damage) on a failed save, or (half as much damage) on a successful one."

Save Example:
"Each creature in the area must (make a Dexterity saving throw.)"

I deliberately added parentheses to show the text that the ruleset currently triggers off of to generate the "rolls".

Cheers,
JPG

Daxis32
May 27th, 2015, 19:38
The 5E ruleset looks for the "words" that are used in the rulebook to denote damage and heal rolls. If you follow the same format, then the ruleset can pick up the rolls when it parses the spell description. The spell description is parsed when the spell is dropped onto the Actions tab from another source (i.e. module), or you can select the right click menu and the Re-parse option.

Heal Example:
"A creature you touch (regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier.)"

Damage Example:
"A target (takes 8d6 fire damage) on a failed save, or (half as much damage) on a successful one."

Save Example:
"Each creature in the area must (make a Dexterity saving throw.)"

I deliberately added parentheses to show the text that the ruleset currently triggers off of to generate the "rolls".

Cheers,
JPG

Thanks Moon Wizard. Is there a comprehensive guide with a list of words and phrases?

Daxis32
May 27th, 2015, 19:42
Moon Wizard, why doesn't this produce roll buttons?

"The DC for this saving throw equals 8 + your + Constitution modifier _ your proficiency bonus. A creature take 2d6 damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one."

Moon Wizard
May 27th, 2015, 21:46
Because the power description parsing engine has to be coded for every saving throw permutation that needs to be parsed. Basically, the parsing engine is looking for a specific combination of words in a specific order and has to be written to adapt to every variation. When writing up the parsing code for 5E, I focused primarily on the spells.

For the case of saving throws, the code looks for:
fails a [DC #] <ability> saving throw
must make a [DC #] <ability> saving throw
must succeed on a [DC #] <ability> saving throw

For the example you cited, it comes from a racial ability, so it wasn't part of the initial push. Also, the type of the saving throw is not defined within the ability description, so it can't be fully parsed anyways.

It's one of the limitations of parsing the "rolls" and "effects" belonging to a power from the power description. However, this was a decision that was made prior to getting the license to distribute the official 5E data packs, and allows people to use Par5E and add custom abilities. We are talking internally about how to expand the automation on these kinds of things internally.

Regards,
JPG

Daxis32
May 27th, 2015, 22:15
Thanks! I was just hoping to fool the parsing engine by modifying the the description. For example I added the text "must make a constitution saving throw". Now I have button. I had to go in an manually add the proficiency bonus but it works.

Larac
May 27th, 2015, 23:21
You can also on an Action,

Right Click Choose Add Action.
Then choose Cast, Damage, Heal, Effect

As a GM I keep a Spare PC that I practice these tings on to make sure I have them correct before moving to PC.

Daxis32
May 28th, 2015, 23:10
You can also on an Action,

Right Click Choose Add Action.
Then choose Cast, Damage, Heal, Effect

As a GM I keep a Spare PC that I practice these tings on to make sure I have them correct before moving to PC.

Larac can you screen shot this? I don't see what you are saying on my screen.

Daxis32
May 28th, 2015, 23:15
Trying to get the parsing to add the bane effect (Bane; ATK: -1d4; SAVE: -1d4 ) to the spell but I can't figure out the wording.

Larac
May 28th, 2015, 23:52
Open a PC, as a GM I keep a dummy PC up to test things

Go to the Actions tab

Pick a spell or power, or pull one over

Right Click on it you get a radial menu

The pointer to the right without a o is the Add Action command

It brings up another menu, Heal Dam Effect Cast

Example for Good Berry Spell
I Made a Power Called it Good Berry
then Add Action Heal
Clicked the add in that box, but added no Dice just a 1 in the Mod box
I did it this way so he could use the Powers Prep to track the berries

Now When the player gives out a berry he just puts that heal effect on the target they are Healed 1 point.
He has to click for the use of the berry still it is not used like ammo

You can Also do it to Spells
Pull the Spell over
Then Right Click Add Action and make the changes

DOing the same to the Good Berry Spell
Gets the Heal of 1 point

Larac
May 28th, 2015, 23:54
Really really wish I could make those changes in the main spell list, but you have to build a custom one for that.