PDA

View Full Version : HOTDQ Maps not linked to encounters?

Desmodaeus
May 27th, 2015, 01:09
Hello. I may just not be doing something right, but I notice for the encounters that show they have enemies placed, there is no mention or link to any map where they are to be found. I have tried seeing if maybe a map exists by the same name or location name as where the encounter is set, but I find no such maps. This seems very odd to say the least and I hope I am just missing something. Any help would be appreciated. Whenever I make encounters in my own modules, I always link the map directly underneath the actual encounter I built so I can open it and load all the placed tokens.

Larac
May 27th, 2015, 01:20
Hold down CTRL
Should show the pins, also an options if you right click on the map.

I think will show what you are looking for.

Desmodaeus
May 27th, 2015, 01:26
Let me try to explain. As I am going through the "story" portion of the module, I come across the encounter there. The encounter is provided but how am I to know what map it corresponds to? There seems to be no way of determining this. Hope that helps.

Nylanfs
May 27th, 2015, 01:49
I don't have the HotDQ, but I think their should be a link in the story to a map, or there should be an image in the map that has the same name as the encounter or story entry.

Desmodaeus
May 27th, 2015, 01:51
Exactly, but there isn't and I am very confused/disappointed.

Nylanfs
May 27th, 2015, 03:03
I do know that it was mentioned in the press release that they made several maps for encounters that didn't have any, just story entries. Perhaps this is one that got missed? Or is there a generic map that is used for several map encounters ie forest trail, mountain pass etc.?

damned
May 27th, 2015, 03:20
Let me try to explain. As I am going through the "story" portion of the module, I come across the encounter there. The encounter is provided but how am I to know what map it corresponds to? There seems to be no way of determining this. Hope that helps.

Open the encounter and add it to the CT and the Map will also open.

Desmodaeus
May 27th, 2015, 03:47
I tried that, but no map opens. It does show on some of the encounters that the tokens have been placed. They appear as check marks. I really am not sure what the deal is.

damned
May 27th, 2015, 04:09
give us a clue and tell us an encounter/story entry so we can have a look... :)

Desmodaeus
May 27th, 2015, 04:29
Alright. For instance, "Greenest in Flames" has "Seek the Keep" encounter which shows all tokens have been placed on a map. However, I see no link to a map nor can I find one that matches the encounter's name.

Trenloe
May 27th, 2015, 05:11
Open the encounter and add it to the CT and the Map will also open.
Maps don't automatically open.

Alright. For instance, "Greenest in Flames" has "Seek the Keep" encounter which shows all tokens have been placed on a map. However, I see no link to a map nor can I find one that matches the encounter's name.

As Larac was mentioning above, the story entries that contain the encounter are linked to the main player map for the section.

Try these steps:

In the Story list, select the "E01 Episode 1: Greenest in Flames" tab.
Open the top entry: "E01-01-00 Greenest in Flames".
Click on the link for "Map: Greenest (Player)" - you'll need to resize it as it is a very large map.
To see the story links, either hold down the CTRL key or right-click -> Layers -> Enable Shortcuts. This will show pushpins that are links to story entries.
Click on which one you're interested in. In your example, "E01-06-00 Seek the Keep" is at the bottom of the map. This opens the story entry.
Open the encounter in the story entry and add the encounter - the tokens will be added to the map close to where the link in step #5 above is.

This is the usual way that well designed FG modules provide links - it essentially emulates the numbered locations on a map - but gives you direct links to open the relevant sections needed as the players explore a map. The first one or two entries in a story section usually contain the links to the required player (and DM) maps - both with pushpin links.

Lobosolo
May 27th, 2015, 05:18
He is right. It looks like FG is opening the map from the module to enter the encounter tokens, but not "opening" the map in the software for viewing. See pic 1 and 2. You can see that it open "Greenest (Player)...but nothing opened in the images.

1) I have not moved any images from the module to the campaign....should I?
2) I do not have any modules or extensions running except the PHB Deluxe and HOTDQ Module.

Cheers,
Lobo

UPDATE: Just saw Trenloe's response.....makes sense. Thank you sir!

Vellun
May 27th, 2015, 17:25
EDIT: Ok...completely forget about what I said below...and the fact that I missed much better responses ahead of mine!

WRONG:
In this case, I don't believe there is a specific point on the map where this encounter is supposed to take place to help direct the characters toward the keep. It's really the DM's discretion. This one really depends upon the characters approach into the town as they have some options. There are only a couple instances where there is a general area in which specific encounters take place as they are all rather random here.

All of the dungeon maps that I've looked at are all pinned with encounters as each room has specific characteristics and inhabitants.