PDA

View Full Version : Anyone up for a quickie?

msd
December 9th, 2004, 14:43
I bought the full version and would love to play as a player...I am thinking a one-shot short adventure so that whoever the GM is doesn't have to put a lot of work gearing up with resources...multiple story pages / multiple maps, etc.

In other words, I really would like to just see how the game flows in this environment.

Sound interesting to anyone? A week from this Friday? Sometime late(r) EST?

Let me know (and hopefully there will be a demo version out by then so a lot of people can potentially participate).

-matt

Art Wendorf
December 9th, 2004, 15:50
I bought the full version and would love to play as a player...I am thinking a one-shot short adventure so that whoever the GM is doesn't have to put a lot of work gearing up with resources...multiple story pages / multiple maps, etc.

In other words, I really would like to just see how the game flows in this environment.I'd love to find out, too. The program looks pretty amazing so far.
Sound interesting to anyone? A week from this Friday? Sometime late(r) EST?

Let me know (and hopefully there will be a demo version out by then so a lot of people can potentially participate).

-mattI'm definitely interested. Depending how my week goes, I'd be able to play, but I doubt with my hectic schedule at the moment, I'd have time to whip up an adventure.

MarauderX
December 9th, 2004, 18:42
I'm looking to see how this works out for everyone, and I'd love to get into it now, but the holidays are kinda screwy. Have fun!

Ashy
December 9th, 2004, 19:17
Once I get a copy, you can count me in... :)

msd
December 9th, 2004, 19:23
My problem is...I've never really DM'd...always been a player. So, I would be willing to DM but, I think it would be slower than it has to be and we really wouldn't get a good feel for how it really works.

Having said that, to the extent this is really kind of a test, I would be willing to try something like this.

Assuming no one else has the time, I can try and convert something small and relatively simple like the Burning Plague from WOTC into FG format. I will give someone the adventure pre-made and let someone else run it and we can all play...most of us have already probably read (or played) it so there will have to be some suspension of disbelief, but this is just for the purposes of testing the software right?

So, as of next Wed...no more exams and I am free 24/7 and am willing to begin a conversion project. If someone is willing to be a DM, let me know and at a minimum, the two of us can play...

-matt

Morgan
December 10th, 2004, 00:01
Well I can GM, no problem. Next Friday is out, though, already have a game I'm in that night. Saturday's good, though.

I prefer RP in games, not just combat. Since it's a one shot, XP won't be much of an issue. What level characters?

Morgan

msd
December 10th, 2004, 00:31
Well I can GM, no problem. Next Friday is out, though, already have a game I'm in that night. Saturday's good, though.

I can most likely do Saturday (let me check though before definitely committing to that)

I prefer RP in games, not just combat.

I hear you. Really, I'd like to see a good mix of both only because I want to give as many features as possible a run. I know there are (on the player's side) a lot of /emote and /action switches in chat so I agree, I'd like to have some interesting RP opportunities. At the same time, I'd like to see the drag and drop of multiple modifiers onto the stack, the roll, and the result in action during combat and get a feel for how the environment flows...shouldn't be a problem to balance those out.

Since it's a one shot, XP won't be much of an issue. What level characters?

Yeah...well, this all depends. I was thinking about something as low threshold as possible. Let's get two or three players (or more!) with level 1 characters and go through a level 1 adventure.

Personally, just for the sake of not having to be creative and being able to focus on learning the tool, I was planning on taking something that already exists and just doing a conversion to story pages, etc. I was thinking about specifically taking a free WOTC adventure, maybe The Burning Plague (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20000801a) or Wreck Ashore (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20040430a) or something else. Those should be short enough to get done in a night, long enough where we get in a groove, etc.

If you want to do the conversion, go nuts and choose anything you want obviously. Like I said, I really consider this an experiment first and foremost. I want to learn the tool and get a better sense of what works, what doesn't work as well, etc. I assume we'll have fun, of course, but really, anything beyond the experimental value is pure bonus in my mind.

Is that cool? Anyone and everyone reading this thread should chime in and share their thoughts...let me know where your guys' head is at.

Later,
matt

Morgan
December 10th, 2004, 04:05
I definitely agree that this is more for a test of the tool. That said, one of the things I want to test is the prep tools. I'll get some work done over the next week using the tools and we'll go from there. Anyone who's interested drop me a private message with a really quick character writeup (nothing comples, just name, class, and very basic personality stuff). No evil characters, please, and let's try for a cohesive party. Yeah, I know it's just a one-shot, but hey, I got my standards <g>

Morgan

msd
December 10th, 2004, 04:14
OK...well obviously I want in on this. I can't get to this until next Wed (exams), but I will definitely participate.

Art Wendorf
December 10th, 2004, 15:38
I'm very interested. It's just a matter of time. Such as: What time on Saturday next are we talking about here?

msd
December 10th, 2004, 23:04
What time on Saturday next are we talking about here?

I'm on the East Coast. Don't know where you guys are.

Realistically, I am up for any time...How is 8PM EST sound as a suggestion?

Morgan, a couple of questions...

1st level characters?
Just stick to core?
Point buy system? 32? 36?

I have this hankering to play a dwarven cleric who witnessed the brutal slayings of his clan at the hands of goblins and the giants they were able to control through their shamans.

Kiri Oakenthrell only narrowly escaped the savage fate that befell everyone he had ever known in this life. He spent the remainder of his youth wandering the hamlets and villages that lay in the shadow of the mountain where he and his clan once lived...one day...one day I will return, he would think, and when I do there will no measure of the swiftness with which I bring the justice the dreaded goblins so richly deserve.

While the anger of his youth might have subsided some, his passion to return and reclaim what is rightfully his never has. Kiri has dedicated all his strength, all his energy, and all his effort to the greater glory of Moradin in hopes that the great Dwarven god might one day deliver him back to his mountain...

Morgan
December 11th, 2004, 00:36
I'm on the East Coast. Don't know where you guys are.

Realistically, I am up for any time...How is 8PM EST sound as a suggestion?

That'd be 7 pm here (I'm in Texas), works fine for me. So Saturday, 18 Dec, 7 pm/8pm Eastern

Morgan, a couple of questions...

1st level characters?

Let's make it third. I generally reserve first level characters for newbie gamers.

Just stick to core?

For the sake of simplicity, yes.

Point buy system? 32? 36?

Point buy as follows:

All stats start at 10. Stats are one point per point, 27 points total. For the curious, that gives a stat average of 14.5, which is good enough to be heroic, wihtout being over the top.

I have this hankering to play a dwarven cleric who witnessed the brutal slayings of his clan at the hands of goblins and the giants they were able to control through their shamans.

Kiri Oakenthrell only narrowly escaped the savage fate that befell everyone he had ever known in this life. He spent the remainder of his youth wandering the hamlets and villages that lay in the shadow of the mountain where he and his clan once lived...one day...one day I will return, he would think, and when I do there will no measure of the swiftness with which I bring the justice the dreaded goblins so richly deserve.

While the anger of his youth might have subsided some, his passion to return and reclaim what is rightfully his never has. Kiri has dedicated all his strength, all his energy, and all his effort to the greater glory of Moradin in hopes that the great Dwarven god might one day deliver him back to his mountain...

Excellent background. I can work with that.

Morgan
December 11th, 2004, 00:38
By the way, I need a volunteer sometime before the game to help me with getting my connectivity set up. I use a router and home network and will be working to get it set up so everyone can connect on game night, and could use some help to try connections from outside my house.

Any takers?

msd
December 11th, 2004, 00:45
By the way, I need a volunteer sometime before the game to help me with getting my connectivity set up. I use a router and home network and will be working to get it set up so everyone can connect on game night, and could use some help to try connections from outside my house.

Any takers?

If you want to try it right now...I can try and connect as a player.

Morgan
December 11th, 2004, 00:47
You got Yahoo Messenger? I'm on it as BardMorgan

Morgan

Art Wendorf
December 11th, 2004, 00:51
Make sure that you guys keep a chatlog of what goes on so we can all enjoy your blundering... er... experimenting with the program.

7pm/8pm is around 5pm my time (California). I think I can swing that! I'll let you know within the next couple of days.

'Cause right now, I'm off to work...

:::crawls away sobbing like a little girl:::

Morgun:
I'll make up a 3rd Level Human Cleric called Mercy during brief moments on the weekend and attach it here (or send it to you) for approval by Tuesday morning at the latest!

msd
December 11th, 2004, 00:52
You got Yahoo Messenger? I'm on it as BardMorgan

Morgan

2 secs

msd
December 11th, 2004, 01:01
Yahoo ID: m_shields_dunn

Yuan-Ti
December 11th, 2004, 16:53
Are you guys still planning this thing for the 18th? I would be interested in joining up to test FG.

Art Wendorf
December 12th, 2004, 00:16
Morgun:
I'll make up a 3rd Level Human Cleric called Mercy during brief moments on the weekend and attach it here (or send it to you) for approval by Tuesday morning at the latest!It just occurred to me that we already have a cleric (MSD), so I'll come up with a... fighter-type.

Morgan
December 12th, 2004, 15:45
Morgun:
I'll make up a 3rd Level Human Cleric called Mercy during brief moments on the weekend and attach it here (or send it to you) for approval by Tuesday morning at the latest!It just occurred to me that we already have a cleric (MSD), so I'll come up with a... fighter-type.

Sounds good! If you guys prefer, I'll make up characters (a not uncommon procedure in one-shot games), but I'll leave it up to you.

Morgan

msd
December 12th, 2004, 16:27
If you guys prefer, I'll make up characters (a not uncommon procedure in one-shot games), but I'll leave it up to you.

I'm totally fine with that too...

Art Wendorf
December 12th, 2004, 23:12
Sounds good! If you guys prefer, I'll make up characters (a not uncommon procedure in one-shot games), but I'll leave it up to you.Whatever would be easiest for you is what we should do.

MarauderX
December 13th, 2004, 01:06
So, how did it go?

msd
December 13th, 2004, 01:29
So, how did it go?

Not until this coming (I think...I hope) Saturday. The upshot is, if you are still interested, there is still time...that would give us three players which would be great!

Yuan-Ti
December 13th, 2004, 12:45
So, how did it go?

Not until this coming (I think...I hope) Saturday. The upshot is, if you are still interested, there is still time...that would give us three players which would be great!

Well, I'm interested.

Lord Robert of Worcester
November 18th, 2005, 03:42
Are u guys still doing pick up games

mhodi
November 19th, 2005, 02:20
I am available right now to connect to anyone who wants to test the connectivity. I will connect to you right now if you would like.

you can get to me on Googletalk at [email protected]

or you can email me there with your server info and I will jump on and connect to you.

the Mhodi