PDA

View Full Version : Skin extension glitch?

Mask_of_winter
May 26th, 2015, 14:25
I believe SavageWorlds doesn't use the charselect.png graphics for the character selection window. I'm working on a skin loosely based on the savage fantasy skin with elements of the theme_dungeon. My xml files do not call for a change of any kind. Yet I get a different looking character selection window for the GM (image on the top) and a player instance through local host (image at the bottom). What's going on?

Also, I'd appreciate if someone could shed some light on how to change the character selection window with SavageWorlds.

Thanks!

Trenloe
May 26th, 2015, 16:19
Which windowclass is used for the character selection screen is established via the DesktopManager.registerDockShortcut2 command in desktop\scripts\desktop.lua in the buildDesktop function. For the GM (in the -- GM mode section) it displays a windowclass of charactersheets when the button is pressed. For the client side (the -- Player mode section) the windowclass used is charselect_client.

I'll leave it up to you to examine these two windowclasses and see what the differences are. :)

Mask_of_winter
May 26th, 2015, 16:25
Thanks Trenloe!

Mask_of_winter
May 26th, 2015, 16:40
So I need to add two separate framedef entries in my xml file then?
Like I said, what puzzles me is that my extension is calling for no such windowclass. I've made several skins before and that never happened.

Trenloe
May 26th, 2015, 17:33
In utility\utility_charactersheetlist.xml:

The GM view uses the charactersheets windowclass that uses <frame>minisheet</frame> for the graphical frame.

The player view uses the charselect_client windowclass that uses <frame>characterbox</frame> for the graphical frame.

I'd check these frame definitions in your extension to see where they point - it is the framedefs that will control the graphical frame to display.

I've made several skins before and that never happened.
Were these in v3 or v4 of the SW ruleset?

Mask_of_winter
May 27th, 2015, 14:58
Got it!
I managed to get the character selection window to match from the GM and Player side. Not sure why such design decision was made in the first place. Seems like more work than it's worth unless the reasoning behind it escapes me.

Thanks again Martin!

Moon Wizard
May 27th, 2015, 18:08
In some rulesets, there are different frames for GM and Player character selection windows. The CoreRPG ruleset was built to support these as well.

Cheers,
JPG