PDA

View Full Version : Can Demo/free players play 5e?

yleague
May 24th, 2015, 18:11
After spending hours and hours working through the connections issues (configuring router & firewalls to open port 1802) my connection test was finally a 'SUCCESS'.

I had a free / demo player try to connect to me as the host (I have an Ultimate subscription and have purchased all the 5e modules) I could see him connect in the chat window but then he got a host of run-time errors saying he could not download the files for any of the rule sets, etc....

Can anyone shed any light on what's happening and what I / the player should do to play?

FYI we are planning to run Phandelver.

Thank you in advance for the help!

damned
May 24th, 2015, 23:05
hola yleague have the player load fantasy grounds and choose join game and then hit the nuke button to clear their cache. then have them run the updater. if the application isnt showing 3.0.13 then they might try running the updater "as Administrator".

yleague
May 25th, 2015, 01:17
Thank you!

damned
May 25th, 2015, 01:58
Hey yleague.

For your images challenge... start with the file sizes - keep your images as small as possible. Not so much in number of pixels - more in number of kilobytes.
I try to keep my maps and images to under 300kb and for bi important maps I try to keep under 500kb. I have some that are getting close to 1mb but I avoid that as much as i totally can.
You can save most images as JPG with 40-60% quality and lose very little detail but save up to 80% of file size.

Dont have too many tokens in your token bags... how many is too many? I try and keep under 100 in there.

If pre-sharing images (good idea when you have some slow connections) make sure you mask them first.

If a player is having trouble with images check his Player Name. It should have no special characters or punctuation - eg my.name could cause issues but my name should be ok. this is a recent bug or recently discovered bug.