PDA

View Full Version : Target tags for actions in the combat tracker

epithet
May 24th, 2015, 17:34
Is there a tag to self-target an action in the combat tracker? If you have an NPC with an ability that can heal or damage only that NPC, how can you designate that?

Example: you have created an NPC named Clyde. Clyde has a reaction you've called "Parry" which is "When targeted by a melee attack, Clyde can use his reaction to gain 1d8+3 temporary hit points. Any temporary hit points remaining at the end of the round disappear." In the combat tracker, this reaction is rendered "Parry [HEAL: 1d10+3 temp]". Is there a tag like "(self)" that I can stick in that phrase to keep ol' Clyde from granting my undeserving PCs temporary hit points if I forget to clear his target before using his reaction?

Bonus Question 1: If there is such a tag, is there a text phrase I can add to the description that will automatically apply it?

Bonus Question 2: Is there a way to automatically remove temporary hit points, e.g. at the end of a round?

The 5e Effects wiki page is a great resource that I keep open always when I'm DMing, and often when I'm playing. I wish that the 5E Combat Tracker wiki page had that level of depth to the "Syntax" section.

Edit: I know that I can apply the heal in the example to the NPC in question by simply dragging and dropping on his combat tracker entry. I'd still like to know if there is a tag for self targeting.

Zacchaeus
May 24th, 2015, 18:03
I'm not entirely sure how you get this kind of thing to work. As far as I know the rendering that you have above won't do anything at all. Again, I may be wrong and I may have missed something recent but there is no tag which will give a character whether PC or NPC temporary hit points. Equally therefore there isn't a mechanism for removing them.

If you are creating an effect for use by a PC then there is a self targeting option. This comes out as [SELF] when viewed in the combat tracker, and you can add this ";[SELF]" to your rendition above but again I can't get that to do anything.

So the question is how are you managing to get what you have rendered above to actually do anything?

The syntax for effects on the Combat Tracker is exactly the same as it is for the effects; so if you have the wiki open then you have everything you need - sort of.

epithet
May 24th, 2015, 19:00
I have tried putting the word self (or SELF) in brackets both before and after the [HEAL: 1d10+3 temp] phrase, and inside the brackets with and without commas. It is either ignored or breaks the function.

While there is a lot of overlap between effects and actions on the combat tracker, there are also a lot of differences.

Zac, the syntax I described above works perfectly to give temporary hit points. Double clicking the phrase (in the NPC sheet or on the combat tracker) will apply the temp points to the target, dragging will apply it where you drop it (to a PC or NPC.) I am not aware of any mechanism other than damage or a long rest to remove temporary hit points (no way to set a specific expiration on them.)

epithet
May 28th, 2015, 03:50
So I guess there is no SELF tag for combat tracker actions, then?

Zacchaeus
May 28th, 2015, 23:19
OK, so I've learned something new. I was typing the phrase directly into the combat tracker, rather than into the NPC's character sheet. As you say when the Character is then dragged into the combat tracker you can then see it in the reactions. However (and it may be something to do with the recent update - I'm using the current test version) all I get when I try this is an error when I double click. If I drag the phrase onto someone (including the person with the reaction) it gives the temporary hit points but also gives an error. Not sure if I'm doing it right or not.

The Self bit will only appears on the CT if it's from an action or an effect set up from the PC's sheet. There doesn't seem to be an equivalent if it comes from an NPC.