PDA

View Full Version : What is Best Way to Set Up Monk's Deflect Missiles

arksorn
May 23rd, 2015, 02:01
What is Best Way to Set Up Monk's Deflect Missiles

Nickademus
May 23rd, 2015, 05:15
I'm not that familiar with 5e, but I think this would work:

Make a spell entry for Deflect Missiles. Add a damage action to deal 1d10+Dex+CL (set the CL to your monk level obviously). When you are attacked by a missile, take the damage from the missile then roll this damage without targeting. Hold Ctrl and drag the damage from with action to you to remove the amount rolled. This has the potential to remove more damage than the missile did, but you can just watch for that.

I can't think of anything better at the moment.

Zacchaeus
May 23rd, 2015, 23:08
You can set up an effect and in the description/conditions/modifiers box enter DMG: -1d10 [-DEX], [-LVL] Set the Target to targets and Expend to On next action. Then when you are hit drag the effect onto the attacker before damage is rolled. This will reduce the damage precisely. One thing to note however is that even if you roll more than the damage the Monk will always lose 1 hit point which you'll have to adjust in the Combat Tracker. This method negates any problem of 'healing' any excess amount rolled as described by Nickademus above. You can then set up further effects for the throwing back of the missile and the damage caused should it hit.

arksorn
May 24th, 2015, 02:50
Thank you Zacchaeus

Only problem I ran into with inflicting it as an effect on the attacker was if he rolls a crit, it subtracts 2d10 (but should only subtract 1d10). Any way to avoid this? Also, thank you for pointing out the 1hp thing... One more reason I would just want to roll the dice and adjust the hp manually. This feature more often than not will reduce the damage to zero.

Zacchaeus
May 24th, 2015, 11:31
Only problem I ran into with inflicting it as an effect on the attacker was if he rolls a crit, it subtracts 2d10 (but should only subtract 1d10). Any way to avoid this?.

This has never come up in my games so I wasn't aware that this happened. I have no solution unfortunately.

freemanjc
October 29th, 2016, 01:43
This has never come up in my games so I wasn't aware that this happened. I have no solution unfortunately.

Would doing it as a HEAL instead of DMG stop it from being 2d10 and change the target to self.

Griogre
October 29th, 2016, 19:37
You should use temp hps instead of a heal or you might cure the monk.

drakonin
October 31st, 2016, 19:35
Yes I set the deflect to add temp HP so if the missile does more than the temp amount it removes health properly, end of action I as DM remove whatever temp HP is left over before attacking him again.