PDA

View Full Version : cleric needed to help me with getting my players connected

rabbedrabit
May 22nd, 2015, 23:30
need assistance with my router have opened ports but to no avail skype rabbedrabit please help

Ironmanowar
May 22nd, 2015, 23:31
someone help this guy for god sakes

Nylanfs
May 22nd, 2015, 23:51
Start FG campaign, check Canyouseeme.org and see if it's actually open.

Ironmanowar
May 22nd, 2015, 23:56
Error: I could not see your service on xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on port (1802)

but i was not able to change the ip address entry.

BTW rabbidrabit and i have same problems

rabbedrabit
May 23rd, 2015, 00:05
got same mesage but wont let me put in my ip address have to use the one provided

Mask_of_winter
May 23rd, 2015, 00:08
Have you checked your firewall?

rabbedrabit
May 23rd, 2015, 00:09
trying now

Nylanfs
May 23rd, 2015, 00:10
https://portforward.com/store/pfconfig.cgi?advertid=1

Also there are guides that will show you how to get everything setup up there.

Ironmanowar
May 23rd, 2015, 00:53
that doesnt help us

rabbedrabit
May 23rd, 2015, 00:54
if my home network uses anouther router between the router my comp is connected to and the internet will i need to open the port on that router allso. internet to cable box to my router

Ironmanowar
May 23rd, 2015, 01:00
ya we "checked" our firewall, that does'nt help us either.

WhtZombie
May 23rd, 2015, 01:16
I am assuming your configuration at home is setup much like https://www.networkingreviews.com/images/Wireless-Home-Network-Setup.jpg
If so then you will need to logon to the router and configure port 1802 to point to the IP of your PC. Here is an example on my Netgear router - 9983 I just made up the name for my use FGVTT and you can see I have only the one port 1802 being forwarded to my PC's IP address. You can find your IP by opening a command prompt (Hit START, RUn, type CMD and hit ENTER) and in the black window that appears type ipconfig and you will see something similar to this 9984. Hope that helps. This site has some examples of various common routers https://www.howtogeek.com/66214/how-to-forward-ports-on-your-router/

rabbedrabit
May 23rd, 2015, 01:17
found a work around. i connect to my modem directly and bypass my router this wll work for me thanks for all your help

WhtZombie
May 23rd, 2015, 01:25
Ahh, don't do that for long.... Outside access is now directly going to your PC and if it is a Windows box the holes open to malicious activity is now exposed to the Interwebs..... At least you have narrowed it down to your router and not your ISP. What router do you have? I will find the instructions for you to get that working properly.

damned
May 23rd, 2015, 01:41
If you need some help check you PM.

damned
May 23rd, 2015, 01:46
Ahh, don't do that for long.... Outside access is now directly going to your PC and if it is a Windows box the holes open to malicious activity is now exposed to the Interwebs..... At least you have narrowed it down to your router and not your ISP. What router do you have? I will find the instructions for you to get that working properly.

This is most likely inaccurate (sorry). Almost no-one actually sells a modem today - they are almost all routers even if marketed as a modem.
Most likely rabbedrabit has a Modem/Router doing NAT and then has installed a Wifi/Router internally that is also doing NAT.
To make this work through this etup requires you to do the following:

Collect the WAN IP address of the Modem/Router
Collect the LAN IP Address of the Modem/Router
Collect the WAN IP address of the Wifi/Router
Collect the LAN IP Address of the Wifi/Router
Collect the WAN IP address of the Modem/Router
Collect the LAN IP Address of the GM Computer

Ideally you will statically assign (you can do this via DHCP) the same IP address to your PC all the time.

On the Modem/Router port forward TCP 1802 to the WAN IP of the Wifi/Router
On the Wifi/Router port forward TCP 1802 to the LAN IP of the GM PC

you should be in business then.

rabbedrabit
May 23rd, 2015, 02:02
it is provided from my cable co. and will only use it for when i play on the fantasy grounds. i have a wireless modem for my wireless conections. have my ps4 hard wired directly into the modem allso and no problems there. just a matter of disconecting the ps4 and directly to my laptop

Ironmanowar
May 23rd, 2015, 06:04
This info isn't helping me cus I can do nothing with it

For example you say collect all these ip addresses but I don't know how to find them

WhtZombie
May 23rd, 2015, 06:15
This is most likely inaccurate (sorry). Almost no-one actually sells a modem today
Maybe where you are from but I can still get a PLAIN OLD CABLE MODEM with no frills from Cox here in AZ.... So, just as likely to be accurate....

EDIT: Oh wait pulled my modem out, a bit dusty but just a modem.. 9985

damned
May 23rd, 2015, 08:12
This info isn't helping me cus I can do nothing with it

For example you say collect all these ip addresses but I don't know how to find them

you said earlier -

ya we "checked" our firewall, that does'nt help us either.

So im confued - which is it? you checked it out or you dont know how to check it out?
If its the later - help us help you and tell us what make and model devices you have or have the GM respond to my PM....

Ironmanowar
May 23rd, 2015, 09:14
after 8 hours of extreme frustration. still cant connect. Quitting.

damned
May 23rd, 2015, 09:19
after 8 hours of extreme frustration. still cant connect. Quitting.

hmmm... 8 hours ago I sent your GM a PM - no reply.
you also havent responded to my last post an hour ago.
am here and willing to help but cant if you dont provide more info.

Ironmanowar
May 23rd, 2015, 10:57
i was reading the FAQ at this site https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/faq.php?faq=networking

Unable to host a game due to connection problems. section.
i was able to do the task with the heading Software Start a second instance of Fantasy Grounds, and connect using "localhost" as the server IP/alias." that's the only thing i was able to pull off. I don't understand why that's in the troubleshooting steps it didn't accomplish anything or get me closer to my goals.
But
whenever i conduct the test at the start menu it still says fail.

Trenloe
May 23rd, 2015, 15:16
I don't understand why that's in the troubleshooting steps it didn't accomplish anything or get me closer to my goals.
It's part of the trouble shooting steps and eliminates a few possibilities.

I suggest you get your GM to respond to damned's PMs or give more information here as requested. We're trying to help you...

Ironmanowar
May 23rd, 2015, 18:12
rabbid rabbit is happy with his set up hes up and running he the one that connected directly to the cable modem.
im a gm too but yet to get success on connection test
BTW thanks for helping Trenloe I have read several of your post and respect you very much.

Ironmanowar
May 23rd, 2015, 20:40
well I have tried just about everything to no success here is a list of everything I have tried:
Setting up Port forwarding on router settings
made sure Upnp is enabled
tried using a static IP
tried configuring port forwarding on cable modem port forwarding

damned
May 24th, 2015, 02:54
Hi Ironmanowar if you want some help check your PM.

Ironmanowar
May 24th, 2015, 18:53
Hi Ironmanowar if you want some help check your PM.

Hey guys just want to give a shout out to damned who helped me solve my problem last night. I'm good to go.

yleague
May 24th, 2015, 20:38
I really like this software and I know I'll eventually get the connection issue figured out but why write a program that is so 'fiddly' to use and causes so much heartburn with connectivity? I'm not tech-savvy but I'm not tech-stupid either.......

Callum
May 24th, 2015, 22:22
It's not the software that is "fiddly" or has connectivity issues - it's all the different routers out there, along with different ways of connecting to the Internet.

damned
May 24th, 2015, 22:45
I really like this software and I know I'll eventually get the connection issue figured out but why write a program that is so 'fiddly' to use and causes so much heartburn with connectivity? I'm not tech-savvy but I'm not tech-stupid either.......

yleague sent you a PM...

damned
May 24th, 2015, 22:50
well I have tried just about everything to no success here is a list of everything I have tried:
Setting up Port forwarding on router settings
made sure Upnp is enabled
tried using a static IP
tried configuring port forwarding on cable modem port forwarding

In this case we had a cable modem/router with a PUBLIC IP Address and a LAN IP Address in the 10.x.x.x range
and inside that we had a wifi/router with a WAN IP in the 10.x.x.x range and a private IP in the 192.168.x.x range
and a computer with an ip in the 192.168.x.x range

we configured modem/router to forward tcp1802 to wifi router WAN IP (10.x.x.x)
we configured the wifi/router to forward tcp1802 to pc IP (192.168.x.x)

as a last step we configured the modem/router to always give the wifi/router the same ip
and the wifi/router to always give the pc the same ip.

JohnD
May 25th, 2015, 00:50
Bingo! Pro tip; when damned offers to help, take him up on it.

Nylanfs
May 25th, 2015, 03:03
That's a really odd setup.

JohnD
May 25th, 2015, 03:05
That's a really odd setup.

Indeed. Wonder what the reason for it is.

damned
May 25th, 2015, 03:08
its because people buy a Wifi Router and not a Wifi Access Point (router/wifi are often cheaper even though they do far more)
They plug the "internet" from their modem/router into the WAN port.
If they instead plugged Internet into a LAN port and turned DHCP off on the Wifi/router they would not have this issue.

It is far more common than you might think - probably half of all connections I help people with today are setup this way.

I dont change it because I cant *see* what else is on their network and how other things are working (or not).