PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds System Requirements?

demonsbane
May 22nd, 2015, 18:33
Hi, I noticed something about the page with the system requirements.

Here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/features/systemreqs.xcp) it says that the minimum RAM is 4GB.

Now, I've seen this program with installed modules, tokens and so, working more or less well in an "old", low-end HP netbook with only 1GB of RAM, and no dedicated graphics card (other things are Windows 7 Ultimate and single core Intel Atom processor). Even if it could be smoother, faster, it even rolls the 3d dice.

So, I think that page could be updated. Also, the corrected requirements (those of a low-end netbook) can encourage people with old or current low-end machines.

Griogre
May 22nd, 2015, 19:51
The reason for the 4 GB minimum is because of data modules. FG itself runs fine on lower end machines, but really starting with 4E, people were putting the whole games worth of information in memory, monsters, classes, properties, magic items - at once. This literally ran low end machines out of available RAM for an individual executable, and would cause FG to crash. The devs got a lot of static about that, when it wasn't really their fault. Because 4 gigs is the max allow for one executable for Vista and 32 bit Win7+ thats why the system requirements were changed.

JohnD
May 22nd, 2015, 20:25
Probably best to leave it at 4 GB. When DMing I see memory usage in the ~ 3 GB range and I take pains to keep my tokens to a minimum and modules small. Some rulesets, RMC comes to mind for some reason, push higher than that in my experience.

demonsbane
May 22nd, 2015, 20:25
Thank you very much Griogre for the clarification.

Still, what do you think about this: I've seeing that low-end netbook running FG with the activated modules of 5e PHB and MM (full, Par5ed), along with a few others for tokens and maps.

What I mean is that if it's not expected that each normal user is going to load a huge quantity of modules (besides, that isn't even possible for a lot of RPGs other than the aforementioned one), such RAM requirements could be realistic and honestly lowered, which is beneficial: right now there is still a market for computers and netbooks with 2GB of RAM, which can run FG perfectly fine, even if by looking to the current system requirements page, their owners can think otherwise.

demonsbane
May 22nd, 2015, 20:33
I see your point JohnD.

Just let me add that some users (like me) take the FG app for GM's prep work in laptops, for games that will be run later via FG in more powerful desktop computers. In that sense, 4GB of RAM isn't necessary for the GM's prep work. And similarly, there are FG users that just want a campaign manager, and use it in such sense, not at it's full potential as the VTT it is.

I don't know. Maybe quoting the minimum system requirements also isn't a bad idea.

Just for what is worth.

JohnD
May 22nd, 2015, 21:25
I see your point JohnD.

Just let me add that some users (like me) take the FG app for GM's prep work in laptops, for games that will be run later via FG in more powerful desktop computers. In that sense, 4GB of RAM isn't necessary for the GM's prep work. And similarly, there are FG users that just want a campaign manager, and use it in such sense, not at it's full potential as the VTT it is.

I don't know. Maybe quoting the minimum system requirements also isn't a bad idea.

Just for what is worth.
I hear you... I also use my laptop for development and desktop when actually DMing a game. Not exclusively like this, but at least 50/50 I'd say... and I know we aren't the only ones who utilize laptops this way with FG.

I wonder if there would be some gain to split out requirements - DM and Player. I think there's some difference on the memory requirements there... when my DM instance is clocking in around 3 GB and I open a Player instance it's around 55% of the memory load from what I remember.

damned
May 23rd, 2015, 01:32
Its a catch 22.
All the licenses that are for sale are GM capable.
I was working with a new GM recently and he had a Netbook with an Atom CPU and 2GB RAM and he was happy with it.
I have a Win8 Tablet with similar specs on it and I can run FG on it but its far from my first choice...

demonsbane
May 25th, 2015, 13:14
Thank you for adding more experiences on the subject.

demonsbane
June 14th, 2015, 00:36
What the Steam webpage for Fantasy Grounds says makes sense to me:

Minimum:
Processor: 1.6 GHz or higher processor
Memory: 1 GB RAM
DirectX: Version 9.0
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 500 MB available space
Sound Card: n/a
Additional Notes: Requirements vary by the add-ons installed and the number of players connecting to your game.

LordEntrails
June 14th, 2015, 01:44
Or consider "Minimum" and "Recommended", that's what I'm used to seeing in the CAD world.

Min meaning it's what you need to run and do anything usable. Recomended being what you should have if you want to do big stuff or not have significant performance impacts.

demonsbane
June 16th, 2015, 05:09
That is right LordEntrails: the Steam webpage for Fantasy Grounds lists both "Minimum" and "Recommended" columns. Here I only quoted the first of them.

gaulendor
January 25th, 2019, 04:05
I'm looking to purchase a Surface Pro 3 Core i3 4GB ram 64GB storage. will this be adequate to run FG?

damned
January 25th, 2019, 04:09
Hey there gaulendor

It will run FG though it is at the low end of the specs.
Some users of Surface 3 report choppy dice animations.
You will also want to make sure you have a keyboard and mouse.

gaulendor
January 25th, 2019, 04:33
Thank you. what about a Surface Go (latest model) running in Windows Mode?

damned
January 25th, 2019, 12:06
Thank you. what about a Surface Go (latest model) running in Windows Mode?

I dont know Im afraid. I havent seen any reports good or bad about Fantasy Grounds on a Go. I see lots of positive reviews of the Go in general.
You might find the screen too small?

Ok, I just double checked the specs - 8GB - great, that CPU though is really designed more for office style applications only benchmarking at 2200. The screen is hig res and only 10" which to me is not a great combination - yes similar to the Pro 3...

What else will you be using it for?
If portability is your main thing then the Surface range is awesome.
If you will be spending a lot of time on it - Id go for something bigger if you can.

I have a surface pro 4 and I only use it for meetings, travel and when Im on call...
I use my 17" laptop 97% of the time.
Its over 4yrs old now but does everything I need well (except for Wonderdraft...).

gaulendor
January 25th, 2019, 13:48
I dont know Im afraid. I havent seen any reports good or bad about Fantasy Grounds on a Go. I see lots of positive reviews of the Go in general.
You might find the screen too small?

Ok, I just double checked the specs - 8GB - great, that CPU though is really designed more for office style applications only benchmarking at 2200. The screen is hig res and only 10" which to me is not a great combination - yes similar to the Pro 3...

What else will you be using it for?
If portability is your main thing then the Surface range is awesome.
If you will be spending a lot of time on it - Id go for something bigger if you can.

I have a surface pro 4 and I only use it for meetings, travel and when Im on call...
I use my 17" laptop 97% of the time.
Its over 4yrs old now but does everything I need well (except for Wonderdraft...).

I have a spectacular Desktop gaming system at home. i travel for work and was hoping to not have to spend $900.00+ on a new surface Pro 6, and was hoping for a Smaller/less expensive surface Pro model to use when I travel and cannot use my nice home setup. i have a work notebook which i cannot install FG on, so that doesn't work. been looking at <$500 options, and Refurbished surface Pro 5 looks promising too.

damned
January 25th, 2019, 13:53
FG will (should) run on any of them. If its not your primary FG machine then I dont see any issues.

Trenloe
January 25th, 2019, 16:03
I'm looking to purchase a Surface Pro 3 Core i3 4GB ram 64GB storage. will this be adequate to run FG?
I think you'll experience laggy dice and if you're using a lot of modules in FG then you'll burn that RAM and will experience some further slowdown (although the hard drive being SSD will help with that). If you're the GM, and the type of person who gets annoyed when things are slow, then this might be too low spec for you. The key things being are you OK with laggy 3d dice rolls, jagged window movement, slow response during intense processing (players joining, opening a large map, adding an encounter to the combat tracker, etc.). If you're a player, not the GM, then I think you'd be OK (depending on the system and what's shared with you, there still maybe some slowdown but not as much as the GM), if you're the GM you may get frustrated...

I use a Surface Pro 3, i7, 8GB RAM and this works well enough for me.