PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible? - DM and player on same computer

Bot
May 21st, 2015, 17:25
So I'm looking for a nice way of showing maps to my players, with fog of war and grids etc - we're playing in person, so I'd be running the GM part on one screen and the player map on a screen on the table that we're all sitting around.

Is this possible with just one DM licence? Or do I need to buy both a dm and player licence just for myself?

Thanks for any answer or alternative suggestions

Trenloe
May 21st, 2015, 18:37
Start a second instance of FG on the same computer and "Join game" with a host address of localhost

OneSidedDie
May 21st, 2015, 18:44
Certainly,
You can open a second instance of FG on the same PC and connect to the loopback address (127.0.0.1) as a player. This would allow you to show a map to the player instance on a 2nd monitor. As long as this is on a single PC it will work fine with one DM license.
There would be no way for the players to use any input so you will have to move all tokens yourself.

Personally I prefer to run my face to face games with a laptop running my copy while my wife connects using the PC connected to the TV in the living room. There everyone sits on the couch and designates one player to do all the player movements with a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Cheers!

Bot
May 21st, 2015, 19:50
sweet, thanks both!

That answers my question fully, and with the answer I hoped - now off to purchase a DM licence :)

@OneS - sounds like a nice setup. I'll consider that, if this is an success - would be great way of both involving the players and also to relive myself to perform other tasks.