PDA

View Full Version : Exporting??

Ashy
December 8th, 2004, 22:15
Is it possible to export a character sheet to a word doc or an html file once it is created with FG?

msd
December 8th, 2004, 22:32
I obviously don't know the answer to this (not a developer), but I would assume that this is information all stored in XML and with some XSL styling, you could probably generate any HTML you wanted.

Whether that is a native function is a question for the developers.

Its kind of an interesting idea for export though...allow you to point to your own XSL or have a number of pre-created XSL templates that will allow you to generate various HTML representations of the data.

Dupre
December 8th, 2004, 22:54
That's right, the characters are stored in XML.

Here's a small snippet:

<node name="Dupre">
<stringvalue name="race" value="Half-elf" />
<intvalue name="strength" value="13" />
<intvalue name="dexterity" value="11" />
<intvalue name="wisdom" value="10" />

Edit: Oh and we don't support exporting characters to any other format, but since it is in XML, there are plenty of tools to view and modify the content.

Ashy
December 9th, 2004, 18:20
That's right, the characters are stored in XML.

Here's a small snippet:

<node name="Dupre">
<stringvalue name="race" value="Half-elf" />
<intvalue name="strength" value="13" />
<intvalue name="dexterity" value="11" />
<intvalue name="wisdom" value="10" />

Edit: Oh and we don't support exporting characters to any other format, but since it is in XML, there are plenty of tools to view and modify the content.

Gotcha - any plans to do this in the future???

Dupre
December 9th, 2004, 19:07
No plans at the moment, but since it is a fairly simple task to convert it to a nice HTML character sheet, I'm sure there will be a tool for it sooner or later.

Ashy
December 9th, 2004, 19:10
No plans at the moment, but since it is a fairly simple task to convert it to a nice HTML character sheet, I'm sure there will be a tool for it sooner or later.

Ok... :(

WolfStar76
December 17th, 2004, 16:17
For what it's worth, my play group and I are creating our characters with the E-tools software from codemonkeypublishing.com (https://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/) (in fact it was their user forums that directed me here).

The E-tools software is full-functional character generating software that does all the math, lists all the skills, and lets you export your character to HTML (via XML style sheets, so you can tweak/edit/change the layout as you like).

I don't think there's a demo version - but a mock-up of one of my groups characters can be found here (https://www.wackychaco.com/dnd/illidan.html).

We're just making them in the E-tools and then manually re-entering what we "need to know" into the FG software. :)

Next up - finding good mapping software that exports in JPG or GIF. ;)

Alasomorph
December 17th, 2004, 17:08
Try this for maps...

https://www.dundjinni.com

Ashy
December 18th, 2004, 14:41
For what it's worth, my play group and I are creating our characters with the E-tools software from codemonkeypublishing.com (https://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/) (in fact it was their user forums that directed me here).

The E-tools software is full-functional character generating software that does all the math, lists all the skills, and lets you export your character to HTML (via XML style sheets, so you can tweak/edit/change the layout as you like).

I don't think there's a demo version - but a mock-up of one of my groups characters can be found here (https://www.wackychaco.com/dnd/illidan.html).

We're just making them in the E-tools and then manually re-entering what we "need to know" into the FG software. :)

Next up - finding good mapping software that exports in JPG or GIF. ;)

Yea, but then I have to buy two tools, and I would rather just have one. :p

Elric
December 19th, 2004, 00:37
I'll be incorporating Character (and Monster) XML dumps from my AD&D C.A.P. System - but they'll be for 1st Edition.

Callum
February 7th, 2007, 12:03
Has anyone done this yet? I'll start work on it myself if no-one has, but I can't believe that in all this time someone out there hasn't created an XML -> HTML character sheet conversion tool for FG...

TarynWinterblade
February 7th, 2007, 18:22
Has anyone done this yet? I'll start work on it myself if no-one has, but I can't believe that in all this time someone out there hasn't created an XML -> HTML character sheet conversion tool for FG...

I had one witten up in PHP at one point that read most of the fields for the ruleset and then displayed the character data using that information. I used it mostly for designing my ruleset because FG1 lacks the ability to reload the ruleset without reloading the game (I <3 the devs for putting that in FG2).

That said, though, I never bothered to add in the more advanced information (the windowopencontrols and the scrolling lists).

I'm not even sure I have a copy of the script anymore... >.<