PDA

View Full Version : (Starting Up) Modifying LMoP/HotDQ

GuardianLurker
May 20th, 2015, 05:48
Alright, I'll confess that I've just started using FG, and have *just* gotten past watching the tutorials linked from the Wiki.

Now I already have copious notes on both, and (for obvious reasons) I like to incorporate those changes (somehow) into my copies of the adventures.

I first set out to copy the module info over, then modify it appropriately. Problem 1) I can't seem to copy the images/maps over from LMoP into my new copy. Do I have to break open the mod's zip file and fetch the raw files? 2) LMoP has a custom section called "quests", which seem to be encounters, but again, I can't copy them over. 3) Somehow in my flailing around I managed to get LMoP into a state where it'd crash the FG updater. It took a clean install to fix it.

Especially because of the last, I'm leery of editing the adventure directly, but right now, it seems like that's the best way to go. What did I miss?

Trenloe
May 20th, 2015, 14:50
You can't break open the 5E modules like you can other modules, they're encrypted and not accessible.

The best way is to wait until 3.1.0 comes out, where any module edits you make in a campaign won't be overwritten if the base mdoule is updated. Then, you can edit the module entries listed in the campaign windows (down the right hand side). This will modify the entries as displayed in the campaign where the edits are made. It won't edit the base module.

GuardianLurker
May 27th, 2015, 01:26
Darn. But thanks. So in the meantime, I'm stuck making a "Modifications to..." module and loading that with the base?

(Oh, and any WAG/estimate on the arrival for 3.1.0? I know the FG crew are busy working on the 5e modules.)

Trenloe
May 27th, 2015, 05:00
(Oh, and any WAG/estimate on the arrival for 3.1.0? I know the FG crew are busy working on the 5e modules.)
The current estimate is next week: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24097-Test-Release-v3-1-0&p=214095&viewfull=1#post214095

Fot5
July 5th, 2015, 02:51
I have a question related to the original post. I'd like to add maps, etc. to HotDQ (which I've purchased). I can see that I can edit the module within a campaign, but I'd like to export that module so that I don't have to add the links each time that I want to start a new campaign. Is there any way to do this?

damned
July 5th, 2015, 12:03
You can type /export in the chat window and it will export all your changes and this module should be able to be opened in another campaign.

GuardianLurker
July 7th, 2015, 03:10
However, you'll only be able to easily update from original campaign you exported from, nor can one campaign really export multiple different modules (at least, that I have found).

I didn't know that export would also export the modifications to an existing module - that makes life a little easier.

Trenloe
July 7th, 2015, 05:17
I didn't know that export would also export the modifications to an existing module - that makes life a little easier.
It doesn't. You only export what is in the base campaign database. Modifying a module stores the modified data separately to the campaign database and it isn't included in a module export.

Trenloe
July 7th, 2015, 05:24
I have a question related to the original post. I'd like to add maps, etc. to HotDQ (which I've purchased). I can see that I can edit the module within a campaign, but I'd like to export that module so that I don't have to add the links each time that I want to start a new campaign. Is there any way to do this?
To expand on my post above.

If you add completely new entries within a campaign - story, maps, NPCs, etc. then these can be exported into a module. Likewise, new entries with links to other modules will be included in a module export. *But* if you modify actual module entries these won't be exported.

If you modify module data directly, you have a couple of options - copy the moduledb.xml file or the whole campaign to a new campaign. This is discussed here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24870-Copying-campaign-info-from-one-campaign-to-another Even if a couple of the posters were talking at cross purposes for some of the thread. ;)