PDA

View Full Version : newbie question re: targetting

stoney
May 19th, 2015, 02:59
I'm wondering if there is a way for players to target enemies so that it shows up in the combat tracker? Currently the DM is having to do it, and that doesn't seem very efficient.

Nylanfs
May 19th, 2015, 03:05
Drag the attack onto the token on the map that was drug from the tracker.

Dekorume
May 19th, 2015, 03:05
Players can Ctrl+Left click on targets in the Combat Tracker or on the map if it set up with a proper grid. Note: the Combat Tracker will drop a target if it made its saving throw versus a spell and the player would need to re-target before or on their next turn.

Trenloe
May 19th, 2015, 03:27
You don't even need a grid on the map to allow targeting via the tokens on the map - a grid will show you the distance to the target if a grid is present though.

Info on targeting here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Targeting

The key is that you need to left-click on your own token so that it is highlighted with a grey circle (no need to left click if the grey circle highlight is already there). Then CTRL + left-click on the token you want to target.

For this to work the GM *must* have put the PCs and NPCs on the combat tracker first, added tokens to the CT if needed and then dragged the tokens from the CT to the map so that there is a direct link with the token and a record in the CT.

Larac
May 20th, 2015, 01:00
Order they go on CT matters as well.

Some one can explain better, but if wrong order they will not be linked to ones on map.

As a new DM I have done it a few times.

Moon Wizard
May 20th, 2015, 01:28
To be safe, always drag tokens from CT to map for PCs and NPCs.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
May 20th, 2015, 01:31
Order they go on CT matters as well.

Some one can explain better, but if wrong order they will not be linked to ones on map.
The order in the combat tracker shouldn't matter. Just make sure that you add the PCs/NPCs to the combat tracker and then drag the tokens from the combat tracker to the map.

Larac
May 20th, 2015, 02:00
My order I meant how you moved them not where in list, sorry.

Xorn
May 21st, 2015, 15:42
When the turn changes, the token with focus automatically switches the the current entry in the Combat Tracker. Just hold Ctrl down and left click on what you want to target. You only need to click on a token (without control) to change the focus--which is what you will be targetting for. As a DM, I will sometimes click on a player token and clear it's targets for them (for some of my more... computer challenged... players).

harrisben
May 25th, 2015, 02:41
I'm slowly understanding how this works. You have to add NPC's to the combat tracker and from there drag their token onto the grid for players to be able to target using only tokens? Does this count for the PC's as well?

In this scenario, how would you prepare tokens on the grid in advance (masked) and keep this functionality? Am I misunderstanding that you can't?

Larac
May 25th, 2015, 03:04
Yes NPC to combat tracker, PC to combat tracker, then to map, is how I do it.

To have them in advance you make an encounter.

From Trenloe
"Dragging from the encounter to the map is to preset the position of the NPCs during your prep. You shouldn't drag tokens to the map from the encounter when you want to run the encounter as this won't give you the links to the combat tracker records. If you use pre-placement of tokens (the tokens have a check/tick on them in the encounter), when you press the arrow button to add the encounter to the combat tracker it will also add the tokens to the pre-placement locations on the map and create the correct links to the combat tracker. This video covers the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx7CtPsdNbA

The tokens are initially placed so that the players can't see them. You can make them all visible at once by pressing the "eye" icon at the top of the combat tracker, or you can make individual tokens visible by pressing the "eye" icon at the left side of the individual entry on the combat tracker."

Good info above and the video is very helpful.

A thing you can do is run another Instance of FG on your machine, connect using localhost.
Make a Char.
From this FG you will see what your players see, and what they can do, I found this helpful for figuring out stuff as well, as I can get the interface the players see.
It just helped me while learning, which I still am, how to set things up so that it works best for my group.

Good Luck,

As I have run 2 games now, have most of the kinks out now.
Thanks mostly to the folks here who help so much.

damned
May 25th, 2015, 03:18
Video above and this to keep handy:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/images/3/33/CnC_encounter_prep.jpg

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/images/3/33/CnC_encounter_prep.jpg

harrisben
May 25th, 2015, 03:21
That's really helpful, thanks guys!

stoney
May 28th, 2015, 03:40
Thanks everyone! These answers are really appreciated!

epithet
May 28th, 2015, 05:55
Keep in mind that if a player has an NPC targeted, and you (the DM) click the eye to make it invisible, they will still have it targeted but will not be able to see it in their targets. When your kobolds run away to warn the dragon that lunch is coming and turn the corner so that lunch can't see their scaly backsides, you have to manually clear them from lunch's target lists.

Likewise, when one of your players intuits where you've placed an ambush and drops an AoE among some unseen hostiles, you can add them to the character's target list without the player being able to see them.

damned
May 28th, 2015, 13:15
Good points epithet