PDA

View Full Version : Question about Sneak Attack and Divine Smite

Jendar41
May 17th, 2015, 20:21
A few issues I'm trying to work out:

1. Can anyone tell me how my Rogue player can apply sneak attack damage automatically, or add an ability for the damage?

2. For my Dragonborn Paladin, what is the best way to add Divine Smite damage?

Jendar41
May 17th, 2015, 20:34
And can someone tell me how I can control the PCs? I'm trying to set up their option for me and test them out in some combats myself, but I can't get their attacks and abilities to show up in the combat tracker (though I think when they play they are in there). When I test things, I have roll or use spells directly from their character sheets.

Eru the One
May 17th, 2015, 20:58
I would recommend effects for both.

For sneak
DMG: 1d6

For smite
DMG: 2d8 radiant

Just be sure to drop the effects on yourself before you roll damage. As for controlling characters, you have to use their sheets to do attacks and damage. Hope that helps!

Dekorume
May 17th, 2015, 21:17
For Sneak Attack, I or my player's create a "power" on their Action's page called Sneak Attack and categorize it as a Rogue Ability. Then set it up for the damage, he player can then apply Sneak Attack damage when necessary. The damage can be adjusted when the player gains a new sneak attack die.

Divine Smite for your Paladin can work the same way, just remember to put "radiant" as the damage type for this one so it applies it correctly.

To control your PCs for testing purposes you should open a separate instance of Fantasy Grounds and load the players there. You will be able to manipulate them in the combat tracker and the map from the "Player's" instance and see the results in the DM instance.

As always,

Dek

Jendar41
May 17th, 2015, 21:35
Thanks. I've created effects for both. Now, is there a way to apply it so that it will stay active on the character, and they can just toggle it on and off as needed? I tried setting the duration to day, etc., and then using the window in the combat tracker to turn it on or off skip rolls, but once the rogue does damage once with it, it disappears, and then she has to reapply the effect each time. Which becomes cumbersome.

Dekorume
May 17th, 2015, 22:00
Actually, it is easier to put the burden the players and set these up on the player's character sheet. They are not really "effects" that are placed on the players from an outside source but rather ones they are applying themselves.

FYI: I have my barbarians set-up their own rage action(effect) button on their sheets as well.

As always,

Dek

Trenloe
May 17th, 2015, 22:43
Use the player removal effect extension to allow players to remove effects after they added them: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21546-Player-Effect-Removal-Extension

And can someone tell me how I can control the PCs? I'm trying to set up their option for me and test them out in some combats myself, but I can't get their attacks and abilities to show up in the combat tracker (though I think when they play they are in there).
PC attacks don't appear in the combat tracker - neither for GMs nor for players. Do what you've been doing - open the character sheet.

Papa Bear 138
May 9th, 2018, 04:34
I know this is an old thread but I'm not sure how to start a new thread as I am very new to this. I apologize in advance and if I should start a new one for my question then please let me know how to.
I am having a similar problem with trying to set up Divine Smite for a 5E paladin. I currently have it set up like this...

DMG: 2d8 radiant: IFT: TYPE (undead, fiend); DMG: 1d8, radiant, melee; Divine Smite

However, it's only adding an additional 1d8 to ALL creatures instead of 2d8 to all creatures and an additional 1d8 to undead and fiends. What am I doing wrong?

Again I apologize. Thank you.

midas
May 9th, 2018, 04:46
This is exactly what I have.

DMG: 2d8 radiant; IFT: TYPE(fiend,undead);DMG:1d8 radiant

If what you have in your post is exactly what you have, it's possible the extra spaces are the issue? You also have some extra commas, a : instead of a ; in there, etc.

Try that and see if it works for you.

Papa Bear 138
May 9th, 2018, 04:53
Oh my gosh that worked like a charm. It had to be the extra spaces and commas. I cannot thank you enough midas, I appreciate it!

midas
May 9th, 2018, 04:58
No worries.

One thing you can do is look at Zacchaeus's post here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information). There you can find a list of "complete packages" for each class. They're basically level 20 characters with (almost) all of the effects coded in. You download the .XML, import it into your campaign and go to the Actions tabs to see how the various effects are coded, and copy them over to your sheet.

Papa Bear 138
May 9th, 2018, 05:02
That's awesome. Thanks again!

Zacchaeus
May 9th, 2018, 10:34
The difference between your one and the one midas posted was that you had a colon after the first damage instead of a semi colon - that difference was why your version didn't work.

So the way I'd write it would be:

Divine Smite;DMG: 2d8 radiant, melee; IFT: TYPE(undead, fiend); DMG: 1d8 radiant, melee
Set the targeting to SELF and the Expend? to on next action

Papa Bear 138
May 12th, 2018, 06:37
That is perfect. This helped me out so much! I'm still learning how to write these but my players love them so far. It's a huge help! Thank you!

Vondebrandt
December 17th, 2018, 02:10
Hello all - thanks for your help with FG, everyone! I am new to FG, just started running Curse of Strahd. One PC is playing a Paladin. I want to program Divine Smite as the posts above. I read Zaccheus' post including an XML file with the " DMG: 2d8 radiant; IFT: TYPE(fiend,undead);DMG:1d8 radiant " text, but I cannot figure out where that text goes. And I do not understand how to "apply" this to the Paladin before the damage roll.

So far I have created a new Power with the damage built in as radiant, but I really want the undead/fiend portion. Can someone please clarify where this text " DMG: 2d8 radiant; IFT: TYPE(fiend,undead);DMG:1d8 radiant " goes?

Thanks!

Grommit57
December 17th, 2018, 05:07
Try Fantasy Grounds College. They have classes on everything from "How FG works" to "Advanced Coding Effects". And it's ALL FREE!

https://fantasygroundscollege.net/

Zacchaeus
December 17th, 2018, 09:15
Hello all - thanks for your help with FG, everyone! I am new to FG, just started running Curse of Strahd. One PC is playing a Paladin. I want to program Divine Smite as the posts above. I read Zaccheus' post including an XML file with the " DMG: 2d8 radiant; IFT: TYPE(fiend,undead);DMG:1d8 radiant " text, but I cannot figure out where that text goes. And I do not understand how to "apply" this to the Paladin before the damage roll.

So far I have created a new Power with the damage built in as radiant, but I really want the undead/fiend portion. Can someone please clarify where this text " DMG: 2d8 radiant; IFT: TYPE(fiend,undead);DMG:1d8 radiant " goes?

Thanks!

It goes here.

Some videos on how to create effects here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41478-Effects-Videos-for-5E).

Trenloe
December 17th, 2018, 10:39
Welcome to the FG forums.

For effects to trigger when an action is rolled, they need to be applied to the actor (PC or NPC) in the combat tracker. The screenshot Zacchaeus provided shows the effect setup in the PC actions tab - this is stored there, ready to be applied to the PC in the combat tracker - with the PC in the combat tracker do this by clicking the humanoid body outline button next to the effect line. This will apply the effect to the PC (make sure it’s set to Self as shown in the screenshot) and the effect will be processed each time that PC makes a damage roll. The IFT: TYPE part will be checked if the PC has a creature targeted when rolling damage, or the damage it drag/dropped on a creature.

Vondebrandt
December 18th, 2018, 05:32
Thanks to everyone for a great response! I did look into Fantasy Grounds College. I very much appreciate the responses specific answers from Zacchaeus and Trenloe! I am working on integrating and testing these very soon!