PDA

View Full Version : Conditional effects questions

Farnaby
May 16th, 2015, 21:07
And now to my next question...
Can I use these conditions to inflict damage that gets applied straight away to a target?

E.g. Disrupt Undead; IFT: undead; DMG: 1d6

My reasoning is if the caster doesn't realise that the target is not really undead then the spell fizzles.

And while I'm at it as I have the experts here. :-)

How do I manage 2 x level damage? 2[lvl] just added them together and [2lvl] did not work.

Thanks

[MODERATOR] Moved to 3.5E/Pathfinder forum.

Trenloe
May 16th, 2015, 21:21
Can I use these conditions to inflict damage that gets applied straight away to a target?

E.g. Disrupt Undead; IFT: undead; DMG: 1d6

My reasoning is if the caster doesn't realise that the target is not really undead then the spell fizzles.
Effects don't trigger anything themselves, they apply to an actual roll - so the creature with this effect would have to actually roll a damage action for this to apply. You would have to have a blank damage entry so that 0 damage was triggered as part of the damage action, but then the effect might kick in if the target had the undead condition (and undead was a valid condition in the ruleset).

The exceptions to this are regeneration (REGEN) and ongoing damage (DMGO) which are triggered when the combat tracker advances to a creature with either of these two effects. In 3.5E/Pathfinder there is also fast heal (FHEAL) that behaves the same.

Farnaby
May 16th, 2015, 21:28
Sorry,

I didn't notice the forum, I just clicked on the link for the optional conditions extension in the pathfinder forum.
I'll open up a thread in the pathfinder forum later. Working on the pregens at the moment.

Trenloe
May 16th, 2015, 21:38
Sorry, I didn't notice the forum, I just clicked on the link for the optional conditions extension in the pathfinder forum.
That's OK - just wanted to confirm which system you were referring to as effects/conditions are slightly different between systems.