PDA

View Full Version : Customization potential

Morgan
December 8th, 2004, 00:52
Ok.. here's an esoteric question...

If I were running a campaign with a completely different flavor, say a spacey science fiction adventure, is it possible to change the graphics used by the various windows in the game?

Morgan

Dupre
December 8th, 2004, 01:50
If you installed the ruleset sources, you can find Data and Ruleset directories under the installation directory. It contains the graphics files and and XML-files that define graphics used on the interface. We don't have a guide written up for modifying them yet, but feel free to experiment.

Here's a sneak peak on Goblin-King's vision for a scifi oriented ruleset. This might change though, so take it as what it is - work in progress. :wink:

https://www.smiteworks.com/ads/scifisetting.jpg

Goblin-King
December 8th, 2004, 09:05
In addition to the graphics, you can completely rework the contents as well, as long as you stick to the types of controls available. You can also add new sheets.

Things you could do are split the character sheet inventory info into another sheet that is opened from the character sheet, or create a completely new sheet type for vehicles that need their own stats.

Ashy
December 8th, 2004, 16:07
In addition to the graphics, you can completely rework the contents as well, as long as you stick to the types of controls available. You can also add new sheets.

Things you could do are split the character sheet inventory info into another sheet that is opened from the character sheet, or create a completely new sheet type for vehicles that need their own stats.

VERY cool! How difficult is it to do these types of modifications? Do you have to be an XML guru or something?

Lizard Lips
January 1st, 2005, 18:51
If the GM creates a new "skin" for the FG interface, do the clients need to download and save the new skin to their FG folders, or will the new skin be "pushed" to them (like shared maps, tokens, etc.) when they connect?

Goblin-King
January 3rd, 2005, 11:14
If the GM creates a new "skin" for the FG interface, do the clients need to download and save the new skin to their FG folders, or will the new skin be "pushed" to them (like shared maps, tokens, etc.) when they connect?

It will be pushed to them when they connect. If you create a ruleset that has big files, you can naturally also zip it up and request your players to extract it into their ruleset folder beforehand. If you do this, only the parts that were modified after creating the zip are sent.

Lizard Lips
January 12th, 2005, 04:44
What's the best way of reskinning FG without overwriting the original textures? I'm considering replicating the data folder in my custom rules set and pointing references to the data folder in that rules set to the new data folder, but I'm worried other parts of FG may be looking for the data folder in its default location.

So:

<framedef name="chatbox">
<bitmap file="data\frames\chatbox.png" />

Would become:

<framedef name="chatbox">
<bitmap file="MutantsAndMasterminds\data\frames\chatbox.png" />

Bagpuss2
January 12th, 2005, 08:45
That looks like the most sensible idea to me as well since creating a new directory structure means there is no chance a file will be overwritten with a new patch or if you have to reinstall.