PDA

View Full Version : Convert 1e adventure module G1-3 to 5e

Baron28
May 13th, 2015, 22:33
Has anyone converted G1-G3 "Against the Giants" series to 5e?

hawkwind
May 14th, 2015, 08:48
No but I recently did S3 white plume mountain and its not hard to do. Most if not all the monsters will be in the 5e Monster manual and the rest might be in Fog God Games Book of Foes. I believe a quick google will find nice updated maps for the G series

Baron28
May 14th, 2015, 18:42
No but I recently did S3 white plume mountain and its not hard to do. Most if not all the monsters will be in the 5e Monster manual and the rest might be in Fog God Games Book of Foes. I believe a quick google will find nice updated maps for the G series

I have WPM and ToH converted from 1e to 5e with WPM on deck and ToH in the hole. I'm just looking for something for the party to do next after they complete WPM and ToH, that is, if they survive.

dulux-oz
May 15th, 2015, 04:58
I believe a quick google will find nice updated maps for the G series

WotC did the 7 main maps of the G series as ""Map-A-Week" articles back in the early 2000s - they're still available for download from the 3.5E part of the WotC Website.

Cheers

dberkompas
May 15th, 2015, 06:41
WotC Archives
https://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mwa/archive2000

Keep increasing 2000 by one up to 2007

BoomerET

Loucifer
May 15th, 2015, 16:28
Specifically 2006 archive.

https://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mwa/archive2006

Griogre
May 15th, 2015, 22:41
For balance reasons you might find it better to do straight conversions from 1E to 5E of the monsters instead of using the 5E MM since you might have some cases where the monsters are of significantly different power between editions. You can use the Converter here to check if you think there might be a serious difference or just convert the old monsters: https://brentnewhall.com/games/1e5e.html

Baron28
June 10th, 2015, 20:07

I'm running that adventure now and my players are having a blast! I even got the FG grid to lay on the map's grid using a nice image re-sizing trick.

Baron28
June 10th, 2015, 20:09
Thanks guys for all the replies! I found all of the Against the Giants maps and downloaded them. Next up, find the content and do the conversion.

dberkompas
June 10th, 2015, 20:10
Tricks? Please share.

BoomerET

Baron28
June 10th, 2015, 20:35
Tricks? Please share.
BoomerET

One of the biggest problems we all have with maps is getting the FG grid to lay exactly on the map image grid. Here are the steps to solving this problem:

1. Open your image up in Paint.net. If you don't have this tool, google it and download it.
2. Open up a calculator.
3. Change the cursor in Paint.net from a drawing tool to a selection tool
4. Size the map image so you can clearly see the map image grid.
5. Draw horizontally around 10 squares. On the status bar in the lower left corner, you will see the area of your selection. For example, mine was 72,8
6. Divide the number of pixels selected horizontally (72) by the number of squares on the map selected (10) = 7.2
7. On the status bar in the lower right corner, you will see the image dimensions. My image was 1024,768.
8. Divide the total number of horizontal pixels (1024) by our number from step 6 (i.e. 7.2) = 142.22
9. Multiply the number from step 8 (i.e. 142.22) times 24 = 3,413.33. Why 24? It's a good even number that has a ton of divisible factors, 2,3,4,6,8,12. You get the picture. :)
10. Click Image in Paint.net to resize the image. Put a check-mark in the aspect ration Enter 3,413.33 for the horizontal value.
11. Save as jpeg.
12. Add the image to FG images folder in your campaign.
13. Open your campaign in FG and open the image and using the grid tool, trace a 24 pixel square over one of the map's squares.

Now you have a map where its grid lines up with the FG grid you overlay it with.

dberkompas
June 10th, 2015, 20:49
Awesome, thanks!

BoomerET

LordEntrails
June 10th, 2015, 23:10
Baron, thanks for the steps. Question, does this result in a 24 pixel X 24 pixel grid for each 10 foot square? From some other threads, it sounds like 50 pixel squares are more common (i.e. to match 50 & 100 pixel tokens). Any resaon not to use 50 instead?

Baron28
June 12th, 2015, 06:03
Baron, thanks for the steps. Question, does this result in a 24 pixel X 24 pixel grid for each 10 foot square? From some other threads, it sounds like 50 pixel squares are more common (i.e. to match 50 & 100 pixel tokens). Any resaon not to use 50 instead?

24 x 24 for a 5' square. It's really has to do with size of the file so that it will load fast for the players.

RCathcart
June 20th, 2015, 19:38
Has anyone created a complete FG module from all this stuff? I have the maps and the original text module, but has anyone created the complete FG 5e module for Against the Giants?

And is there any kind of general location for FG adventure modules that people can share? Not extensions and rulesets, but adventure modules for whatever games.

Thanks!

crb31
June 20th, 2015, 19:47
Thanks for sharing

dulux-oz
June 21st, 2015, 02:41
Has anyone created a complete FG module from all this stuff? I have the maps and the original text module, but has anyone created the complete FG 5e module for Against the Giants?

And is there any kind of general location for FG adventure modules that people can share? Not extensions and rulesets, but adventure modules for whatever games.

Thanks!

The Armory forum is designed for this type of stuff - unfortunately, at this time there is no sub-forum for Modules like there is for Extensions, Rulesets, etc. Maybe you could ask Moon Wizard to create such a sub-forum.

Cheers

damned
June 21st, 2015, 02:42

Thanks!

In almost all cases this is not permitted as this is copyright material and it cannot be distributed without agreement and/or license.
Sorry....

RCathcart
June 21st, 2015, 02:43
The Armory forum is designed for this type of stuff - unfortunately, at this time there is no sub-forum for Modules like there is for Extensions, Rulesets, etc. Maybe you could ask Moon Wizard to create such a sub-forum.

Ah, cool. I will do that. Thanks.

Moon Wizard
June 21st, 2015, 05:20
I don't have a problem adding a forum necessarily, but as damned pointed out, it's very rare that adventure modules can be shared since they're usually copyrighted material.

Regards,
JPG

RCathcart
June 21st, 2015, 21:26
Ideally, WotC would devote the relatively minimal effort it would take to convert their old modules to FG 5e. I'd pay a few bucks to have a FG verions of the Tomb of Horrors or Slavepits of the Undercity, just to name a few titles that would suck the money out of my wallet.

But I don't think they will. So that means that WotC & Smiteworks won't make some pretty easy money. And there will be FG users that do the conversions themselves, trade them in whatever ways they can, and the copyright issue will never go away.

In any event, whatever you can do to make original user-created adventure modules more findable, it would be appreciated.

Baron28
September 23rd, 2015, 04:14
I wanted to provide an update. I have brought all of the content for the Against the Giants modules into 3 separate FG campaigns and resized each of the maps so the FG grid lays nicely on each one. I plan on running the group through these adventures once they reach 9th level. Ideally, they would level up to 10 for G2 and level 11 for G3. I entered the encounters "as-is" and will adjust them according to the size of the party, player level and the intent of the encounter. With the size of these adventures and considering how often we play (once a week for 3 hours a session), I think I have 2 years of adventuring prepped for the crew.

Nylanfs
September 23rd, 2015, 05:23
Awesome, now if Doug and John can get WotC to let them sell converted modules you could make some residual cash off it. :)

Wazoodust
September 23rd, 2015, 21:45
That's one I'd definitely buy, and probably several others if WoTC would license them. ( maybe someone should forward this thread to the WoTC guys, they may not have even considered this stuff seriously if at all)

Goltron
September 24th, 2015, 00:22
I'm just putting the finishing touches on giving I6 - Ravenloft the 5e/FG treatment, it's a shame that when it's done it can't be enjoyed by other users. Hopefully it's something that WotC look into as there is so much content potentially available to be fantasy groundsified.

Baron28
September 28th, 2015, 19:02
I've converted 6 first edition modules to FG campaigns. Keep on the Borderlands (which my Wed night group finished 2 weeks ago), White Plume Mountain (which they just completed the wilderness travel portion and almost 1/3 of the adventure), Tomb of Horrors, and all 3 Giants modules. For completeness, I want to convert the Drow series D1-D3 and Q1 - Queen of the Demonweb Pits.

I have the content to convert Ravenloft, but I couldn't find any good maps. Can you point me someplace where you got them?

If anyone is interested where I got content, maps, etc. for the adventures I mentioned above, shoot me a message and I would be happy to point you in a direction. Unfortunately, I can't just give away the finished module.

MickeyFlint
January 8th, 2016, 21:37
Baron28 I would love to do what you did. I have not DM'd since back in AD&D and started playing again in 5e a year and a half ago. I have been asked to take up the DM mantle again, and G1-3 was my all time favorite module as a kid. I would very much like to go through and update it for 5 so I can run it for friends who have never heard of it. Any help or direction you could provide would be most appreciated!

damned
January 8th, 2016, 21:49
Welcome MickeyFlint.
If you are using Voice (highly recommended) then dont worry about converting all the text into the game - keep the physical book or pdf handy and ready or paraphrase from there as you go.
Get the maps into the game - you can find most of these on the net already and you can usually find cleaned up versions - otherwise you might have to do some cleanup - mostly of the secret doors and traps but you may as well remove numbers too.
Set up your monsters - there are a few conversion scaling guides for earlier versions to 5e that you can use to ensure the right challenge level but I wouldnt get too hung up on that. Gauge it by how hard/easy they find the first couple of encounters and then just tweak them as you go.

Baron28
January 8th, 2016, 21:54
Against the Giants Maps: https://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mwa/archiveall Parts 1, 2 and 3. Go to this site and do a search on Giants.
As far as the content goes, Google is your friend. As far as converting 1E to 5E, there are a number of conversion tools out there. I didn't go that route, I did it purely based on HP and adjusted encounters accordingly. Treasure I adjusted per conversion tools, but I also took a "Monty Hall" approach where I would offer (in part) what is detailed in the original module or they could roll for treasure based on the tables in DMG. I like the roll option because it puts some fun into the player's hands as to what their reward is for slaying creatures. For skill checks, I used my best judgement to determine the DC.

Damned's approach is very streamlined since you're not documenting the story content in FG.

Hope this helps.

DAWPage
February 9th, 2016, 15:45
One of the biggest problems we all have with maps is getting the FG grid to lay exactly on the map image grid. Here are the steps to solving this problem:

1. Open your image up in Paint.net. If you don't have this tool, google it and download it.
2. Open up a calculator.
3. Change the cursor in Paint.net from a drawing tool to a selection tool
4. Size the map image so you can clearly see the map image grid.
5. Draw horizontally around 10 squares. On the status bar in the lower left corner, you will see the area of your selection. For example, mine was 72,8
6. Divide the number of pixels selected horizontally (72) by the number of squares on the map selected (10) = 7.2
7. On the status bar in the lower right corner, you will see the image dimensions. My image was 1024,768.
8. Divide the total number of horizontal pixels (1024) by our number from step 6 (i.e. 7.2) = 142.22
9. Multiply the number from step 8 (i.e. 142.22) times 24 = 3,413.33. Why 24? It's a good even number that has a ton of divisible factors, 2,3,4,6,8,12. You get the picture. :)
10. Click Image in Paint.net to resize the image. Put a check-mark in the aspect ration Enter 3,413.33 for the horizontal value.
11. Save as jpeg.
12. Add the image to FG images folder in your campaign.
13. Open your campaign in FG and open the image and using the grid tool, trace a 24 pixel square over one of the map's squares.

Now you have a map where its grid lines up with the FG grid you overlay it with.

I found this very helpful, thanks!!!
So helpful, I decided to autocalulate it for you. Just punch in the numbers, press the Calculate button, then you get your new image size.

https://www.alonlinetools.net/MapConvertionInstructions.aspx