PDA

View Full Version : How to make an overlay and setup OBS for streaming!

Vishera
May 13th, 2015, 07:24
I created a mini-series detailing how to create the images for your live streaming overlay using photoshop and OBS.

I moved these videos from my old channel to the new one.

Link to my playlist (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTCVdZUjxeLzb4K8hX-L9zC8AsLValVPw)

Intro:
zYiOtqzYVaQ
Part 2:
0uWp_9jkt1s
Part 3:
nTEuIPk7d5U
Part 4:
UDzz8b0wckM
Part 5:
m18hlUKJ1fE

Mask_of_winter
May 14th, 2015, 02:36
Thanks for making these video tutorials! I once streamed a game but we used Google Hangouts On Air! and someone else was the camera guy. I much prefer this set up you have but I couldn't figure out how to stream on Twitch. Do you have any video tutorial to recommend on how to do that? Also, am I wasting my time with a very low upload speed of 0.7 Mbps?

Vishera
May 14th, 2015, 04:04
I just added 2 more videos, got one or 2 more probably tomorrow and it should be complete!

Vishera
May 14th, 2015, 04:10
Thanks for making these video tutorials! I once streamed a game but we used Google Hangouts On Air! and someone else was the camera guy. I much prefer this set up you have but I couldn't figure out how to stream on Twitch. Do you have any video tutorial to recommend on how to do that? Also, am I wasting my time with a very low upload speed of 0.7 Mbps?

Tomorrow's videos will cover video/audio bitrate to maximize the upload quality as well as little tips and tricks. I will also cover setting up your twitch channel briefly.

PsiKoTiK
May 17th, 2015, 21:53
Good job on these tutorials. You really break down the steps on how to stream and make it not as overwhelming (especially designing an overlay).

Zeus
May 18th, 2015, 18:56
Nice work Viscera - great simple to follow tutorial. I wasn't aware of the uber cool OBS software - I am going to have to check it out.

Moon Wizard
May 18th, 2015, 23:46
Made this thread sticky, and added link from wiki.

Cheers,
JPG

Vishera
May 30th, 2015, 09:41
Made this thread sticky, and added link from wiki.

Cheers,
JPG

thanks! I havent made any more but if there are any requests, PM me.

xcmkerr
May 31st, 2015, 23:53
Thanks much for this!

My only problem is that I don't want to advertise monster HP, etc. to the players who will probably have the stream open. My initial thought is to give my stream ID thing (yikes) to a player and have them stream it, but I don't know how to send them the scene I made. Is that even possible?

Mask_of_winter
June 1st, 2015, 01:46
Xorn opens a second client as player, doesn't pick up a character and uses that screen to broadcast.

Vishera
June 3rd, 2015, 02:54
Hence why my twitch name is "Behind the DM Screen" I do a different twist than most D&D Streamers. Most are from the player's perspective, while mine is from a DM's perspective. Gives the viewers a little different idea of what goes on behind the DM Screen ;)

eryndur
July 3rd, 2015, 22:12
Vishera, these were great, and extraordinarily useful! Will we see any more? I'd love to see you walk through how to tweak the settings on OBS, broadcasting etiquette, handling Twitch chat while gaming, etc. Keep it coming!

YAKO SOMEDAKY
July 28th, 2015, 17:21
The OBS used for make this video is OBS ou OBS multiplataform?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
July 31st, 2015, 20:49
And following a example.
I made this screen.

kylania
July 31st, 2015, 21:58
Well done! I love the little dice goblin. :)

Nylanfs
July 31st, 2015, 23:11
Should you really be mixing Paizo images and WotC images like that? :)

Griogre
August 1st, 2015, 01:42
LOL the world may end... :)

Nylanfs
August 1st, 2015, 02:46
At least it isn't a mix of Rifts, Gurps, Pathfinder, D&D, and Vampire.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
August 1st, 2015, 03:34
I mix only to fill the empty spaces :D
And is the Goblin servant of the GM :D

hangarflying
August 1st, 2015, 04:47
Excellent series of vids! Please finish them out.

Ferrin
August 5th, 2015, 23:46
I gotta say my favorite part of these videos is part 4.. Screeuurchhgaa-- "ok, that is a horrible sound"... So funny!

Ferrin
August 6th, 2015, 01:16
And a problem I ran into, OBS classic does not have the filter function in which he speaks of cropping. You have to run the multiplatform version or crop using the alt hot-key and manually re-size the window.

ffujita
December 12th, 2015, 04:47
Could you post times when you're streaming? I'm still at that point where I can learn from expert GMs. If you had archives that I could watch not in real time, that would be even better.

JohnD
December 12th, 2015, 08:26
It would be interesting to do this but what's mentioned here for set up is beyond me.

Nylanfs
December 12th, 2015, 12:53
Could you post times when you're streaming? I'm still at that point where I can learn from expert GMs. If you had archives that I could watch not in real time, that would be even better.

His twitch channel is here, just subscribe :)

https://www.twitch.tv/behindthedmscreen

martel
December 25th, 2015, 22:07
very nice tutorial..

thks

Weepdrag
January 8th, 2016, 06:30
Very nice set of videos. I do have a couple of questions though,

Do your players always log into roll20 in a certain order? I couldn't find anything about defining a particular spot for each player that logs in.

Are your frame graphics dynamic for the player names or do you adjust them on each session?

Thanks

FSHSchmo
January 15th, 2016, 23:42
Very good videos! I know what I will be doing this weekend!

Vishera
January 21st, 2016, 06:36
Sooooooo I suck at checking this, and just noticed all the feedback!! It's been almost a year since I took a break from my D&D games (life stuffs) but I plan to come back to it here soon! I lost my streaming overlay but I am re-making it now and should be up to play more games here shortly!! Stay tuned!

Vishera
January 21st, 2016, 06:37
Very nice set of videos. I do have a couple of questions though,

Do your players always log into roll20 in a certain order? I couldn't find anything about defining a particular spot for each player that logs in.

Are your frame graphics dynamic for the player names or do you adjust them on each session?

Thanks

There is no specific order, because if a player gets logged out or disconnected and they re-connect, the order sometimes changes. I have the player name graphics separate so I can move them if their cam moves it's placement.

Vishera
January 21st, 2016, 06:38

there are a couple highlights saved to my twitch channel, and I plan to have all my future sessions also uploaded to a new youtube channel!

Weepdrag
January 21st, 2016, 16:56
Thanks Vishera, That was the solution that I came up with. We'll be streaming soon with all of the great help and videos.

Vishera
January 21st, 2016, 16:58
Youtube channel is up! (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTLrxFp5-Le-6pvxP2TEQ6g)

Skillkoil
February 3rd, 2016, 15:31
Vishera has a new group of adventurers in his campaign and streams on Tuesday on https://twitch.tv/behindthedmscreen at 5 MST whish is GMT -7 or 7 EST. The campaign has just started so you can start watching next Tuesday and will not have missed much at all. Also if you can't catch the stream you can always watch it later on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTLrxFp5-Le-6pvxP2TEQ6g Vishera is a great representative of Fantasy Grounds and how it can bring gamers together from all over the world. So come watch and support him and Fantasy Grounds at the same time.

Vishera
February 4th, 2016, 01:10
Moved the videos from my old channel to my new YT channel! Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to see as a video tutorial. I am going to make a short How-to video on map making.

corwynn
February 10th, 2016, 21:38
Still waiting on more dummies. :)

Vishera
February 11th, 2016, 08:04
Still waiting on more dummies. :)

What would you like to see? Map Making? or more streaming how-to's?

corwynn
February 11th, 2016, 15:01
You'd mentioned that you were going to dig into the OBS settings.

casteffens
February 20th, 2016, 09:11
Tomorrow's videos will cover video/audio bitrate to maximize the upload quality as well as little tips and tricks. I will also cover setting up your twitch channel briefly.

Is this one up? Couldn't find it on youtube.

Bilbotorm
November 25th, 2016, 16:32
Thanks a lot for this turorial, I'll have to try but my skills kinda sux.
Just 2 questions basically:
1/ Would you advise your players to connect to the stream even if there's probably a delay ? or it's better to have them trying to connect to FG as usuall and put the webcam images somewhere on their desktop (using what video software ?)
2/ to FG staff, I like how simple and great your adventure game league stream on youtube are, with a simple theme and name using the same theme as FG. Just wondering if you're using OBS as described here and using an overlay of your own ? would it be possible to it as well ?

thanks everyone, to make this software even better & better :)

jcoman1
December 13th, 2016, 20:40
Thanks Vishera, the multicam quandry is now resolved. In my primary group I will be turning over DM duties in January which will allow me to don my Tech cap and delve into streaming the game properly. I have a stream but found the riggers of DM'ing and maintaining the Twitch/OBS to be more than I cared to tackle. We will see how it goes. We might be better suited for a podcast ;)

Bilbotorm
December 14th, 2016, 21:35
Thanks a lot for this turorial, I'll have to try but my skills kinda sux.
Just 2 questions basically:
1/ Would you advise your players to connect to the stream even if there's probably a delay ? or it's better to have them trying to connect to FG as usuall and put the webcam images somewhere on their desktop (using what video software ?)
2/ to FG staff, I like how simple and great your adventure game league stream on youtube are, with a simple theme and name using the same theme as FG. Just wondering if you're using OBS as described here and using an overlay of your own ? would it be possible to it as well ?

thanks everyone, to make this software even better & better :)

Quoting myself to bump a bit my question and see if someone around knows for 1/ ?
(and for 2/, still hope templates could be shared one day, it rox and looks neat on youtube, need the same ! (but i have no skills :/))

jcoman1
December 14th, 2016, 21:59
Quoting myself to bump a bit my question and see if someone around knows for 1/ ?
(and for 2/, still hope templates could be shared one day, it rox and looks neat on youtube, need the same ! (but i have no skills :/))

I'll help you bump this. I too have inquired how they are managing the video for the stream. I have some experience with Twitch streaming. That in mind, my group will all be in FG and let the delay be as it wants to be. Ppl are aware of it and just accept it.

Bilbotorm
January 24th, 2017, 09:57
Just wondering if there's any chance to have some input on how FG crew achieve their net streaming + overlay ?

thanks !

ddavison
January 24th, 2017, 18:46
David, our DM, uses OBS for setting up the different views and the overlays and then we use Skype for the VOIP.

jcoman1
January 24th, 2017, 19:51
David, our DM, uses OBS for setting up the different views and the overlays and then we use Skype for the VOIP.

With all due respect unless David knows something about Skype not known to the general population, using it for capturing video is a trick. Skype does not anchor video chat frames. They appear at random and will move if a person is dropped from a call. I guess it is possible that David pulls everyone into the call, then sets the frames manually each time in the overlay. That's a lot of fuss.
There is a way to do it but I will not divulge it here :square: - it's not through Skype.

While I don't want Smiteworks to "gum up the works" if supporting its own audio/video chat client would "gum up" Fantasy Grounds. I don't want to suggest anything that could cause problems for what is otherwise nearly perfect in my mind. FG is a fantastic piece of software. My hats off to you guys. You have resurrected my Tabletop gaming. BUT...if you find a way for support an unobtrusive audio/video module that allowed for fixed webcam frames, plus the Syrinscape integration piece that we already have...well, I would nominate you all for sainthood.

ddavison
January 24th, 2017, 19:58
With all due respect unless David knows something about Skype not known to the general population, using it for capturing video is a trick. Skype does not anchor video chat frames. They appear at random and will move if a person is dropped from a call. I guess it is possible that David pulls everyone into the call, then sets the frames manually each time in the overlay. That's a lot of fuss.
There is a way to do it but I will not divulge it here :square: - it's not through Skype.

While I don't want Smiteworks to "gum up the works" if supporting its own audio/video chat client would "gum up" Fantasy Grounds. I don't want to suggest anything that could cause problems for what is otherwise nearly perfect in my mind. FG is a fantastic piece of software. My hats off to you guys. You have resurrected my Tabletop gaming. BUT...if you find a way for support an unobtrusive audio/video module that allowed for fixed webcam frames, plus the Syrinscape integration piece that we already have...well, I would nominate you all for sainthood.

David actually does get us into the call first and adjusts the layout. Skype has a couple different views and dynamic is one of them. You want it to be as fixed and predictable as possible and not change your actual window size either. I haven't actually set up an OBS overlay yet, but I suspect you could create a series of layouts to automatically work with Skype for 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 participants and then only turn on the one you want at the time that you want them. You might have to do some similar shenanigans for labels as well.

jcoman1
January 24th, 2017, 20:20
Yes, prefab layouts would do it. Dave is the man.

Galach
January 24th, 2017, 20:43
Recently, my group discovered VSee, a communication software much like Skype or Hangouts, but with a huge advantage when used in conjunction with OBS: in VSee, each camera opens a new window.

Those windows can be resized at you pleasure, can be pinned on specific parts of your desktop, and you can save where they are, so when you open VSee again, the windows will be right there on that exact spot.

When configuring OBS, you can assign that windows to a place on your layout, so each time you open OBS, VSee and Fantasy Grounds, everything will be in place as the last time you used them. Better, since each person have it’s own window, if someone enter or leave the conference, it won’t mess up your layout.

The only issue I noticed in VSee is that, when more than six people get in the conference, the cameras start to lag a lot, but this could be my own connection, because I am recording the games and also usually DMing them.

VSee can be found here (it is free): https://vsee.com/

And here are some examples of my recorded games using this setup (sorry, they are in portuguese... lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L2DzNc4VVg&t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4akyB39sN8

(this one don't have cameras on, but shows how I had improved the previous layout)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4TNCrA2Trs&t

Bilbotorm
January 24th, 2017, 21:00
DDavison : thanks for confirming =)

jcoman1
January 25th, 2017, 02:25
Recently, my group discovered VSee, a communication software much like Skype or Hangouts, but with a huge advantage when used in conjunction with OBS: in VSee, each camera opens a new window.

Those windows can be resized at you pleasure, can be pinned on specific parts of your desktop, and you can save where they are, so when you open VSee again, the windows will be right there on that exact spot.

When configuring OBS, you can assign that windows to a place on your layout, so each time you open OBS, VSee and Fantasy Grounds, everything will be in place as the last time you used them. Better, since each person have it’s own window, if someone enter or leave the conference, it won’t mess up your layout.

The only issue I noticed in VSee is that, when more than six people get in the conference, the cameras start to lag a lot, but this could be my own connection, because I am recording the games and also usually DMing them.

And here are some examples of my recorded games using this setup (sorry, they are in portuguese... lol)

(this one don't have cameras on, but shows how I had improved the previous layout)

Thanks for ths tip. I'll check this out

HoratioDrank
April 17th, 2017, 01:22

I'd like to confirm that VSee is an excellent piece of software to use with OBS while streaming a Fantasy Grounds game. It's completely free. You can check my Twitch channel (link in my signature) and see my episodes. My group uses VSee.

Vishera
June 7th, 2017, 19:42
Xorn opens a second client as player, doesn't pick up a character and uses that screen to broadcast.

That's a good idea. My channel is more to show the DM side of it but I may switch it up.

shadzar
April 5th, 2018, 12:53
extra advice about various services.

VSee is free, for now, but it can glitch and fail to connect if someone has a wonky versin error and can't get upgraded. if you need video the two best options currently are VSee and Discord. the rest are memory hogs and memory leaks, or jsut don't work that well.

one thing about streaming on Twitch especially, unless you have partnership or 100+ viewers per stream, you will never get the best video feeds such as YT will offer. so unless you have the best internet connection and upload speeds, the best thing to set your software to is 720p30.

1080p will only have good quality to viewers for Twitch partners, for everyone else buffer badly as can be seen in the most recent FGFridays VODs.

60 FPS isn't needed for anything basic cams and FG does. it will just give problems and more buffering from the Twitch ingest servers if you are not partner.

sure you can have a buffering live stream and export a pretty video to YT, but then why bother streaming it live if the quality of the stream is gong to be so poor many people can't watch it?

for OBS, this has probably been mentioned, but you need to set your video to 1280*780 where it says Rescale for streaming. Might need to put in Advanced mode instead of standard.

There isnt a single RPG stream that would require higher than 720p30 because there really isn't that much fast movement going on. setting your output stream resolution and FPS too high, can cause dropped frames, buffering, desync, and all manners of other problems that can easily be avoided by understanding Twitch doesn't give everyone the same quality for streaming, it has to be earned on an account by account basis.

jcoman1
April 5th, 2018, 13:39
extra advice about various services.

VSee is free, for now, but it can glitch and fail to connect if someone has a wonky versin error and can't get upgraded. if you need video the two best options currently are VSee and Discord.

My group has been using VSee for over a year (every Friday night) with problems I can count on one hand. Discord video has been a dissapointment. Currently we are using VSee for Cams and Discord for audio as the Discord audio is cleaner.

JohnD
June 26th, 2018, 01:33
The tutorials talk about using roll20 for webcams. I'd rather not do that. Does this change the process in a difficult direction?

LordEntrails
June 26th, 2018, 01:36
The tutorials talk about using roll20 for webcams. I'd rather not do that. Does this change the process in a difficult direction?
I don't think so. Rob2e did a stream on streaming a week ago. It seems really simple... *G*

Check it out; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbXRgq_NGKs

JohnD
June 26th, 2018, 01:56
The last time I tried to record a session on OBS, I only had my voice and none of my player's voices on the recording. We were using TeamSpeak and no webcams. Obviously I did something wrong.

Majyk
June 26th, 2018, 02:56
The last time I tried to record a session on OBS, I only had my voice and none of my player's voices on the recording. We were using TeamSpeak and no webcams. Obviously I did something wrong.

Yeah, for the Mic section in OBS’ main working page, you also need to setup a Desktop Audio section as an option.
That is a “if you mute it, the stream won’t hear anything” section. Without one, the stream doesn’t get anything you hear through your headset.

G’luck on the next one!

mlesnews
August 29th, 2018, 01:52
Yeah, for the Mic section in OBS’ main working page, you also need to setup a Desktop Audio section as an option.
That is a “if you mute it, the stream won’t hear anything” section. Without one, the stream doesn’t get anything you hear through your headset.

G’luck on the next one!

I tried my first streaming session of last week's adventure and did not get any audio, I don't think that it streamed (does twitch save it to your videos section afterward?). Only the recorder seemed to work but one thing that wasn't mentioned in any of the streaming for dummies, was what you had mentioned, adding a Desktop Audio section (as a source in OBS, correct?) Thanks in advance and happy gaming. As a side note, I think I need to commission an artist to create personal icons (animimated for nitro discord would be nice) and other areas so I don't run into any licensing issues. Sounds/Musics is another area of contention, I did find some royalty free music/sounds https://www.youtube.com/audiolibrary/soundeffects so I don't have to worry about having to edit out anything with a license.

Majyk
August 29th, 2018, 19:48
I tried my first streaming session of last week's adventure and did not get any audio, I don't think that it streamed (does twitch save it to your videos section afterward?). Only the recorder seemed to work but one thing that wasn't mentioned in any of the streaming for dummies, was what you had mentioned, adding a Desktop Audio section (as a source in OBS, correct?) Thanks in advance and happy gaming.

Yup-yup, that is correct.
Glad it helped out! It is a good idea to “Start Recording” and Stop it, then playback the file created to be sure the volume levels are good, too.
Too many early sessions sounded good live, only to learn the volume of the Desktop Audio source was still too low.
If so, you can play with individual Mic volume sliders in whatever chat program your group uses to balance quiet vs loud talkers you play with.
If still not enough, add a “Filter” by Clicking on the Audio Source Gear button and choose Gain.
Too loud, lower it. Too quiet, bump it a few notches.

During play, I like to see if any Equalizer levels are redlining, and if so, to tweak the Gain on the fly.
Levels should stay in the 50% Green to Full Yellow range.

Nice link for muzak, too. Good gaming, back at’cha!

Twitch won’t save streams unless you turn this option on in your channel on Twitch settings itself, online.
You can upload your vids but they’ll only remain online for a few weeks(just re-up ‘em then).

shadzar
September 19th, 2018, 01:46
We were using TeamSpeak. Obviously I did something wrong.

i think this is self realization in action. ;) don't use Teamspeak, just get a discord. video, voice, even text. Discord does it all for free.