PDA

View Full Version : Inexperience Required: Beginners' D&D 5e Lost Mine of Phandelver Campaign

lukemm
May 12th, 2015, 14:45
Update: Game full! Depending on how this one goes, I'll run another session soon.

FG License: Standard
Game System: D&D 5e

Time Zone: Eastern Time USA
Day of week and time: Tuesdays or Thursdays, starting at 8p EST
Planned start date: June 2nd, 2015
Planned Frequency: Every other week
Term: Just the Lost Mine of Phandelver module
Text or Voice: Text for gameplay, Teamspeak for out of character questions, etc.
Voice software used: Teamspeak
Roleplay & Combat mix: 50/50
Number of Players in game & needed: 4-5
Character starting level & equipment: 1
Character restrictions: Players will use the pre-generated characters from the Starter Set

Details of your scenario: This will be a beginner focused run-through of the Lost Mine of Phandelver module that comes with the D&D 5e Starter Set. We'll use the pre-generated characters that came with the Starter Set, forgoing the complexities that come with character creation in favor of more streamlined play. Hopefully, by the end of this, the group will:
1) Be comfortable with the 5e rules set
2) Have experience with the role-playing aspect of the game
3) Mastered the Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop.

Selfishly, I'm also using this as an opportunity to gain comfort and familiarity running a 5e campaign on Fantasy Grounds. I'm new too, so adjust your expectations accordingly! This is going to be a learning experience for everyone involved! As such, things might move at a slower pace than experienced players (both tabletop and FG) would feel comfortable. Therefore, being new yourself is strongly encouraged.

Link to Gamecalendar page:*https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1422

If you're interested, please sign up via the Game Calendar link above.

-LukeMM

jshauber
May 12th, 2015, 14:55
I have commitments already for those days but it is good to see a new GM jump in and give it a try.

I am sure you will fill up and have loads of fun!!!

lukemm
May 12th, 2015, 18:45
I have commitments already for those days but it is good to see a new GM jump in and give it a try.

I am sure you will fill up and have loads of fun!!!

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to it. I'm really impressed with Fantasy Grounds and after playing with it solo the last few weeks, I'm really excited to dive in.

lukemm
May 13th, 2015, 14:49
Hmm....I don't seem to be getting a lot of traction here. I feel like there are a lot of new players looking for groups, what's keeping people from jumping in? The date/time? Not creating characters? Not wanting to play the starter module? Any feedback would be useful!

JohnD
May 13th, 2015, 20:42
It could be that you're not starting for another ~3 weeks. However, keep plugging it and post in threads where new people are saying they want a game... people may not be savvy on proactively approaching a DM.

thefish199
May 13th, 2015, 23:54
I'm free those nights and would love to join ! I'm very new to all this but i do have the starter set here at home but nobody irl to play with.

sorn
May 14th, 2015, 07:32
I would love to get involved lukemm, my problem is that with my work schedule I don't always have specific days/nights off. Hard for me to confirm that I could be there every given play time. Which sucks when you want to get back into gaming!

lukemm
May 14th, 2015, 13:26
Hi Sorn,
Is there a different night that you do always have off, or could have off in an every-other-week type scenario? Otherwise I'd be happy to have you as an alternate in case we need someone and your'e available.
-Luke

lukemm
May 14th, 2015, 13:26
We've got three confirmed right now, looking for 1 or 2 more!

Moresh
May 14th, 2015, 16:19
I am interested and new to fantasy grounds. i only have the demo right now, so i would need upgrade to play under the your standard license? not a problem if so just want to keep cost down until I see more of what fantasy grounds has.

Macabreus
May 14th, 2015, 16:44
that time works perfectly for me, in fact i just posted looking for around that time in the evening during the week. I just signed up on the calendar

sorn
May 14th, 2015, 18:49
Unfortunately no lukemm, I do a four day on, five day off rotation for work. Makes it easy to plan weeks/months ahead as my schedule doesn't change, just means I don't have the same days off regularly. Though by the looks of my schedule I think I could pull it off if we play Tues or Thurs EST evenings. If I work days I'm off at 7EST, though at some point I'd either miss a week due to work.

sorn
May 14th, 2015, 18:50
I applied anyways lukemm, and we'll go from there. Haven't used FG to play yet so do I need to pick up any of the 5E stuff?

scottburger31
May 14th, 2015, 22:57
I would love to try and get into your game. i'm new to this whole system so definitely wanting to learn.

lukemm
May 15th, 2015, 00:01
Ok, this game if full and I'm closing the ranks. The players are:

Moresh
mkamzng1
Bluesmusic
thefish199
Macabreus

and we'll have Sorn as an alternate if we need a fill-in.

I think at this point it makes sense to move game administration to Google Groups. Can you all please private message me an email address I can send you an invitation for? Thanks! I'm looking forward to this.

-Luke

lukemm
May 15th, 2015, 00:02
I would love to try and get into your game. i'm new to this whole system so definitely wanting to learn.

Sorry, we're all full! I plan to run a few of these, so be on the lookout for the next session. I'll have a similar post in this same forum.

lukemm
May 18th, 2015, 15:58
Anyone who hasn't yet sent me a PM with their email address, please do so. I need to get a google group invite to you. Thanks!

Bluesmusic
June 2nd, 2015, 23:29
lukemm, I sent you a pm with my email. I'm ready to play but need info to connect with you.

jenovvson
June 2nd, 2015, 23:34
I just signed up on the calendar. PM me with the details please.

Edit: NVM. I just saw that your game was full. If there is an opening please let me know!

lukemm
June 2nd, 2015, 23:47
Hey Blues, I sent you an email to join the google group, did you not get it?

lukemm
June 2nd, 2015, 23:47
I just signed up on the calendar. PM me with the details please.

Edit: NVM. I just saw that your game was full. If there is an opening please let me know!

Hey Jenovvson,
I actually need another player, are you good for tonight at 8p EST? If so PM me your email address and I'll invite you to the google group.
-LukeMM

lukemm
June 3rd, 2015, 00:04
This game is supposed to be starting tonight, 8p EST. I *think* I'm full, but I'm not 100% sure who's going to join. If anybody is available tonight at 8p EST and wants to be put on stanby, PM me. If I'm not full I'll PM you the details and you'll be in for the full campaign.
-LukeMM

Dairyman
June 19th, 2015, 01:53
Will you be running any more of these campaigns? Im new to FG and havent played D & D since the 1980's. I did buy the 5e starter set. I would love to try this out.