PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question(s) about layering for rulesets

irpagan
May 11th, 2015, 21:25
After keeping a log of the edits I've been making I realized I should make this a layered ruleset.

I get that if I mod record_char_main.xml I have to replace the whole thing, but I wondered if I added to base.xml, do I need to include only the include statements I added with the import picking up the rest or do I need to keep the whole thing intact including my changes? Also for example if I add a new font can I add only the .fgf and a lite graphics_fonts.xml or do I need it all. Apologies if these questions have been answered elsewhere I found information I felt was somewhat conflicting so I thought I'd ask for clarification.

-d0gb0y

Trenloe
May 11th, 2015, 21:30
You only need to have <include> statements for things you have changed in your layered ruleset.

You also only need to include <windowclass> entries that have changed - you don't need to include the whole XML file if you just changed one <windowclass> entry within that file.

You could take it a step further and use merge rules to reduce the code in your layered ruleset even further.

irpagan
May 11th, 2015, 22:23
You only need to have <include> statements for things you have changed in your layered ruleset.

You also only need to include <windowclass> entries that have changed - you don't need to include the whole XML file if you just changed one <windowclass> entry within that file.

You could take it a step further and use merge rules to reduce the code in your layered ruleset even further.

Awesome, thank you that's the info I needed.

damned
May 12th, 2015, 11:52
After keeping a log of the edits I've been making I realized I should make this a layered ruleset.

I get that if I mod record_char_main.xml I have to replace the whole thing, but I wondered if I added to base.xml, do I need to include only the include statements I added with the import picking up the rest or do I need to keep the whole thing intact including my changes? Also for example if I add a new font can I add only the .fgf and a lite graphics_fonts.xml or do I need it all. Apologies if these questions have been answered elsewhere I found information I felt was somewhat conflicting so I thought I'd ask for clarification.

-d0gb0y

Whachaworkingon?

irpagan
May 12th, 2015, 15:44
@damned One of my favorite games of all times Talislanta, simple dice mechanic lots of freedom and a very unique world. Chose to start with version 5, if I can get that down I'll work backwards to 4 which is similar. Talislanta is creative commons 3.0 so I should be good there.

I did have a question: I pulled over all my files into a separate directory made sure I was only calling the files I changed and started a test campaign ... I am not seeing any of the changes I made for things like attributes etc, I got the layout as it currently is but all the frames are empty. My understanding was if I pulled say template_char.xml and record_char_main.xml over then the layer would read my files instead of what was in core.

When you create a campaign does it pull the ruleset everytime? e.g. if I change something -- next time I start the campaign it shows. I believe that answer is yes but I want to make sure there isn't some catch -er certain things that don't.

Secondarily is it possible I have an ordering problem as in I need to load one before the other? Talislanta before Core or vice versa.

Lastly, I am positive it is something I'm doing. Everytime I say oh that looks fairly understandable I get bit, but I do it anyway.

-d0gb0y

irpagan
May 12th, 2015, 16:31
Not sure what happened there, my post went away ...

@damned - working -er attempting to work on Talislanta, it's probably my number one game of all time. Since it is under the creative commons 3.0 license and all the material is available free online I thought I'd tackle version 5. If I can get that down I'll work also do 4 which is similar but the mechanics change a bit.

Which brings me to a couple of questions;

I moved over all my files, and created a campaign for testing. When I initially opened it I had forgotten a couple of entries in base.xml. When I go to create a PC I see the frames, etc but no controls. My understanding was if I pulled over say template_char.xml and record_char_main.xml with the appropriate entry in base for record_char_main.xml I should get both since its from my layer.

Question 1: Adjustments to a ruleset get updated in the campaign immediately correct?
Question 2: Is it possible I have a order issue e.g. I need to import one before the other or does it default to Mine being the defacto with core imported?

I'm sure this is something I am not quite understanding.

-d0gb0y

irpagan
May 13th, 2015, 00:09
Okay third times a charm, I suspect I might be being moderated for your name :) lol, I am attempting to create a ruleset for Talislanta fifth edition. If I can get it right I'll tackle 4th as well since their similar and maybe third. It's probably my top game of all time to play.

irpagan
May 13th, 2015, 00:18
Yep, that was it :)

So now to my question I moved all my files over into a separate folder and created a campaign for testing purposes. When I logged in the first time I originally forgot an item or two in base so I had to add those and restart the campaign. The way I understand it all I need in base is the includes I'm using so for example the include for record_character_main.xml, it's include statement in base and template_char.xml in campaigns, template_char gets called implicitly by record_character_main.xml (*I think) I couldn't find an import for it unless I missed it somewhere. I see the frame layouts but I don't see the functionality so obviously I am doing something incorrectly.

Since I directly added those files it should override anything else correct?

Also gameelements.xml doesn't seem to be being overridden. Is it possible I need a load order? Its core first then the ruleset layer or extension correct?

-d0gb0y

damned
May 13th, 2015, 01:44
You might have had a URL link to Talislanta or the SRD etc. Links require moderation until you get to about 10 posts.

If you are layering on CoreRPG whatever files or windowclasses you define in your layered ruleset will replace those in CoreRPG.
If you were layering on PF then it could be a load order as Pathfinder sits on 3.5e sits on CoreRPG for example...

irpagan
May 13th, 2015, 04:35
I am layering of off CoreRPG, it seemed the thing to do in order to reduce the issue of abstraction and cleave as close to source as possible.

I figured out a part of my problem, apparently I need to learn to spell or use copy -n- paste when in a hurry. There also appears to be some dependencies graphics wise which will take me a bit of time to sort through. That's okay though I now understand the issue.

-d0gb0y