PDA

View Full Version : How do I view or edit a character once its complete?

Bluesmusic
May 11th, 2015, 20:41
Hi,
Once I complete a character and close down FG, the character isn't saved or after exporting the character, I'm unable to import the character to view/edit it. Suggestions?

Blues

Trenloe
May 11th, 2015, 20:43
It should be saved, unless you're using a demo/free license and were creating/editing the character in a campaign.

If you use "Manage Characters" your character will be saved in the local character database and you can export/import to/from XML if needed, or upload it yourself directly into a campaign when you connect to the GM.

Bluesmusic
May 11th, 2015, 22:34
Thanks. But how do I view the character, say the next day, after I log out of FG? Do I need to import it back into the manage character? The icon disappears. I have a license, and have been using the demo version. Is there another version to download once I purchased the license?

ddavison
May 11th, 2015, 22:46
You want to add your license key to your Settings window and then run a Check for Updates so that it installs the full version and not the Demo version.

Bluesmusic
May 11th, 2015, 22:59
Thanks.

Already did that. I am able to download purchased content so that should be taken care of. Other suggestions?

ddavison
May 11th, 2015, 23:47
Can you explain what you mean by "the icon disappears"?

This is how it works.
1. Go to Manage Characters
2. Choose your ruleset
3. Go to PCs and use the list editing tool to create a new character
4. Edit the character
5. Export the character if you want
6. Close FG
7. Re-launch FG and repeat steps 1-2.
8. Click PCs and all your characters you've already created will show up.

Nylanfs
May 12th, 2015, 00:35
Is the character made while connected to your GM's game? If so its stored on his computer.

Bluesmusic
May 12th, 2015, 01:36
Nylanfs, no I haven't connected to a GM yet.

ddavison, after I create a character, and close FG, when I reopen FG, the character is gone. When I'm creating a character, there is a box (icon) with his name in it in the PCs window. The character box/icon disappears every time I close down FG and reopen FG while following the steps. Any thoughts?

Bluesmusic
May 12th, 2015, 02:03
I'm running FG through Steam via Wineskin. I'm using the demo, but I purchased a monthly subscription and entered the key. I purchased the core class pack and can access it fine. Do I need to download a different FG than the demo?

Andraax
May 12th, 2015, 02:17
So, it's no longer shown in the character selection window?

Trenloe
May 12th, 2015, 04:34
I'm running FG through Steam via Wineskin. I'm using the demo, but I purchased a monthly subscription and entered the key. I purchased the core class pack and can access it fine. Do I need to download a different FG than the demo?
Sounds like FG can't access the app data directory - either it's invalid or inaccessible.

When you start up FG, click the "settings" button the main screen - where is your data directory pointing to? See the "Adding files from outside of Fantasy Grounds" section of this thread for info on checking/accessing this data directory: https://steamcommunity.com/app/252690/discussions/2/626329820884543295/

Bluesmusic
May 12th, 2015, 12:52
Andraax, yes, it is no longer in the character selection window entitled "Import Characters." That's the window that opens when I click on PCs.

Trenloe
May 12th, 2015, 15:04
After checking what I posted in post #11, try this:

When you load up Manage Characters, type /console in the chat window - a separate console window should open. Create a character and enter a few pieces of information. Then type /save in the chat window. Are there are errors reported in the console window?