PDA

View Full Version : Switching to ultimate subscription and back.

Tideturner
May 10th, 2015, 16:00
Hi,

Our group will be switching to Fantasy Grounds in a couple of months, with our GM getting the Ultimate license, the 5E core books and such.

In the mean time, I want to run a few one random dungeon runs, so we can familiarize ourselves with the tools.

I currently have the regular licensed software (non-subscription), the 5E core rule booksand The Lost Mine adventure.

Can I buy the ultimate subscription for a few months, and then switch back to my regular license afterwards? If so, how does that work? Do I have to manually change keys in the setting, or does the software automatically know what license I'm currently using?

/Tideturner

dulux-oz
May 10th, 2015, 16:04
Not a direct answer to your question (btw, the "short" answer is yes - I think) but if you're doing this to help learn the system then might I also suggest that you and your friends watch a couple of the Tutorial Videos available on the FG Wiki.

Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to find mine useful as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig). Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because practically all the Rulesets are built on top of the CoreRPG, so learning it will stand you all in good stead for learning and playing any of the others (such as the 5E Ruleset you plan to game with).

Oh, and Welcome and have fun!

Cheers

Tideturner
May 10th, 2015, 16:26
Thanks.

We're 6 in all. A couple of us like to get to know all the nuances of the rules and tool, but the rest would rather just play. So some hands on practise sessions is the best way to go for them.

But for me, on a lazy Saturday those tutorials are probably just what I need. I'll watch those :)

Nylanfs
May 10th, 2015, 16:41
Yes I believe you would have to switch your key I believe. Personally I would go ahead and buy the ultimate on the 6 month payment plan through Paypal over the subscription.

damned
May 10th, 2015, 23:27
You can only run the one license on the machine at a time so you will have to swap keys. Also if you are doing this and your Full is a Subscription and you want to change to Ultimate subscription you first have to cancel the Full and then get the Ultimate as PayPal only allows you to have one concurrent subscription.

Nylanfs suggestion is also worth checking out. Will cost you closer to $20/month for 6 months but then you will have the outright license.

Trenloe
May 10th, 2015, 23:42
To expand on what damned said: the Ultimate licence upgrade from full is $115. If you're in North America you can get this on PayPal payment terms (no interest if paid within 6 months). So, if you pay within 6 months it's less than $20 a month and you'll end up with a permanent ultimate license.

Otherwise, as others have said above, you can get an ultimate subscription when you need it and swap out your licence keys and run an update. All of your purchases are linked to your FG website username (entered in the FG settings window) and/or your Steam user ID if bought through Steam, they aren't linked to the licence key so what you want to do is pretty easy.

Tideturner
May 11th, 2015, 14:10
For now, it's just me wanting to upgrade my regular (non subscription) license to ultimate subscription for a couple of months.

When our DM gets the software, he'll get the non subscription ultimate license. Might look into the paypal 6 months deal if it's available here. We're in Denmark and Sweden.

Oh, and if it matters, I bought everything through this website, not steam.

damned
May 11th, 2015, 14:11
Im pretty sure the PayPal finance is only available in the US.
If you only need it for a month or two Id just cancel my current and take out an Ultimate - and dont forget to swap back when you are done!

Trenloe
May 11th, 2015, 15:13
If you only need it for a month or two Id just cancel my current and take out an Ultimate - and dont forget to swap back when you are done!
The OP has the one off purchase full licence, not a subscription. So, just get an ultimate subscription for as long as you want, then cancel that subscription when you no longer need it and enter your full licence key to swap back.

Tideturner
May 11th, 2015, 16:22
Thanks for the input guys.

Went ahead and got the ultimate subscription.

Our first session is set to be this Saturday. Looking so much forward to it :)

Diceman
May 13th, 2015, 19:15
Thanks for the input guys.

Went ahead and got the ultimate subscription.

Our first session is set to be this Saturday. Looking so much forward to it :)

As someone who is also new to Fantasy Grounds I will say you are going to be pleasantly surprised. My group and I have run two sessions so far and they have been very successful.

I will also recommend watching as many videos as you can. I watched all of Xorn's videos, the Dev videos, and a few others on youtube and I learned quite a bit about using the interface. It really prepared me for helping my players roll up characters and get started.

Finally, I am running the "Lost Mines of Phandelver" and I wanted maps for a few of the encounters that are only "Theater of the Mind" in the printed version of the campaign. I was able to add the maps and link the included encounters quite easily. I also created a custom encounter into the story window complete with maps,encounters and parcels in under ten minutes using information I gleamed from watching the videos.

Watch the videos. :D