PDA

View Full Version : Connection problems - even on local network

albinonewt
May 9th, 2015, 15:42
So, I've tried using IPVanish, and I still can't get players to connect. I also tried with someone else that was in the same apartment as me, using external IP, Alias, and Internal IP. Nothing has worked so far to get someone to connect to my game. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Matt

damned
May 9th, 2015, 15:52
sent you a PM

Trenloe
May 9th, 2015, 16:02
I also tried with someone else that was in the same apartment as me, using external IP, Alias, and Internal IP.
Sounds like your connection is being blocked on your actual computer.

As a quick test, try: Run Fantasy Grounds and load up a campaign as a GM (FG fully loaded into the campaign). Start another instance of Fantasy Grounds on the same computer and "Join Game" with an address of localhost

If this works, but the other person in your apartment (on the same local network) can't connect, then try some of the following (we'll concentrate on just getting the other person in the apartment connected to your first, before trying the external connection). This also assumes you're running on Windows. Try each of the following in order - trying to connect from the other person in the apartment each time:

Make sure you only have one network interface on your computer running. If you are using a wired connection, turn of the wireless network connection on the computer (temporarily disable it). If you have a VPN adapter/connection setup on your computer, disable that. If you have virtual machine software installed on your computer, disable any network interfaces it may have created. You want only one network interface active.
Make sure the single active network connection is not assigned as Public - Windows firewall by default blocks Fantasy Grounds on a network designated as public. If you can't change it to private or work then open windows firewall and allow the FantasyGrounds.exe application.
Temporarily disable Windows Firewall or any other firewall software you have running.
Try to connect you the other person's computer with them running FG as a GM.

Those should be a few things for you to try.