PDA

View Full Version : Rage of Demons - Coming to D&D 5e this Fall

Treegreen
May 6th, 2015, 15:04
And, would you look at that! Smiteworks mentioned in the press release.

Rage of Demons (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/rageofdemons)

damned
May 6th, 2015, 15:48
And, would you look at that! Smiteworks mentioned in the press release.

Rage of Demons (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/rageofdemons)

Nice!

Mavrik6666
May 6th, 2015, 16:16
hopefully with less of a delay between publishing and availability in FG .. ala Princes of the Apocalypse....

I know it's not you guys, I am sure you had it par5ed the day it was out, but it is a little annoying

WhtZombie
May 7th, 2015, 21:27
hopefully with less of a delay between publishing and availability in FG .. ala Princes of the Apocalypse....

ala Princes of the Apocalypse??? I would am waiting on WotC to approve HotDQ....

Griogre
May 7th, 2015, 21:45
I would imagine that once SmiteWorks gets caught up it shouldn't take much more than a month or so to release the modules assuming reasonable review times at WotC. Depends on the module size though. With Princes, they went to one larger book.

Treegreen
May 7th, 2015, 23:36
I would imagine that once SmiteWorks gets caught up it shouldn't take much more than a month or so to release the modules assuming reasonable review times at WotC. Depends on the module size though. With Princes, they went to one larger book.

Probably safe to assume all future adventure releases will be one book priced around $50 retail. I got the impression Tyranny of Dragons was split-up because it wasn't finished yet, but they wanted an adventure on shelves to coincide with the release of the Player's Handbook. Either way, Out of the Abyss (the tabletop adventure for Rage of the Demons) isn't due for release until September. A month turn around seems reasonable, assuming they send it to Smiteworks when they ship it off for printing, but who knows what they are looking for when it goes into the approval process.

Nylanfs
May 8th, 2015, 03:19
I doubt that the adventures will cost 50

damned
May 8th, 2015, 03:37
I doubt that the adventures will cost 50

These are BIG adventures.... I think they might...

Nylanfs
May 8th, 2015, 03:59
Well HotDQ is $30 in hardback, I sincerely hope they don't cost more than the physical books.

Mavrik6666
May 8th, 2015, 08:49
Is there an official commitment from smiteworks or Wizards on the timescales for the release of digital content after physical content. If not then i better get my par5e skills up to speed and do it myself.

Treegreen
May 8th, 2015, 15:05
Well HotDQ is $30 in hardback, I sincerely hope they don't cost more than the physical books.

I wasn't very clear, but I meant future releases from the Wizards of the Coast RPG Team. As in, those which are not already being sold. Hoard of the Dragon Queen and The Rise of Tiamat were split up to meet their release schedule, but all evidence appears to indicate that future unreleased adventures will be one book priced around $49.99 retail. I'd assume based on the Fantasy Grounds pricing for The Lost Mines of Phandelver that the FG modules for HoTDQ and RoT will be approximately the same as the retail value of their hardback books. So, I was mostly pontificating that future releases will probably be around the $50 range looking at PoA and going forward.

Griogre
May 8th, 2015, 19:47
I concur with Treegreen, given WotC's past history with digital content - I expect licensed modules to cost approximately the same as the hardcover. Personally, for Princes and Rage of Demons I will just buy the FG modules and skip the hardbacks.

JeffKnight
May 8th, 2015, 21:17
I concur with Treegreen, given WotC's past history with digital content - I expect licensed modules to cost approximately the same as the hardcover. Personally, for Princes and Rage of Demons I will just buy the FG modules and skip the hardbacks.

I expect this is why we'll never see an "approved" product out anywhere near a book release. We'll always be waiting months beyond release because WotC will want their book profit.

Nylanfs
May 8th, 2015, 21:19
I would bet that Wotc sees more profit from the FG module's than a book. That being said Wizards of the coast are insane if they think I'm going to buy an adventure for more than $30.

Treegreen
May 8th, 2015, 22:50
I would bet that Wotc sees more profit from the FG module's than a book. That being said Wizards of the coast are insane if they think I'm going to buy an adventure for more than $30.

To be fair, they're a better value than two $30 books like HoTDQ and RoT. Combined they're 188 pages for about $60 retail. Princes of the Apocalypse is 255 pages for $50 retail. I'd be more upset about the $50 cost if they were short adventures that covered a small level range (e.g. An Adventure for characters of 5-7th level) instead of an entire campaign from 1-15th level.

Zacchaeus
May 9th, 2015, 15:52
To be fair, they're a better value than two $30 books like HoTDQ and RoT. Combined they're 188 pages for about $60 retail. Princes of the Apocalypse is 255 pages for $50 retail. I'd be more upset about the $50 cost if they were short adventures that covered a small level range (e.g. An Adventure for characters of 5-7th level) instead of an entire campaign from 1-15th level.

Indeed, superb value. If we think about 4e it took 5 modules at around £15 (don't know how much that is in dollars) each, so getting on for £75, to get from level 1-15. Amazon have the Princes hardback for under £25. I'm assuming around £30-£40 for the digital version so I'll be right in there when it comes out.

Treegreen
May 9th, 2015, 20:28
Indeed, superb value. If we think about 4e it took 5 modules at around £15 (don't know how much that is in dollars) each, so getting on for £75, to get from level 1-15. Amazon have the Princes hardback for under £25. I'm assuming around £30-£40 for the digital version so I'll be right in there when it comes out.

£15 is about $23. So, over $100 for 1-15.