PDA

View Full Version : Feature: Option Popups

Falantrius
May 5th, 2015, 09:07
Not sure where to request features - but I would love to see implementation of the POPUP HELP when you hover over each of the options.

For example:

Chat: Show Portraits

popup help would say "When this option is ON, the players portrait will show on the left side when they enter text in the chat window."

For new users, this would be really helpful. Some of obvious, others are not.

Just my two cents worth.

Nickademus
May 5th, 2015, 09:16
"Add it to the wishlist"

Mellock
May 5th, 2015, 15:38
https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/ is where you can add to the wishlist.

I believe devs have mentioned they would like to add helpful hints to the many, many things you can do in FG. Don't know about the timeframe, but make sure you add stuff you want to the wishlist. There's much to do, but they try to cater to people's wishes :)

Moon Wizard
May 5th, 2015, 17:55
It's an interesting idea. I can see a few approaches:

Tooltips: Could convey more info, at the risk of obscuring UI elements.
In-line help: An idea I've been meaning to explore once I get time. Basically, a question mark button in upper right of each window that opens overlay or separate window with help text/graphic. The challenge here is the sheer immensity of adding help to every window in every ruleset (and even more so if need to support extension overrides for local languages)
Online help: A similar idea, but maybe a tad easier due to not needing to build overlay/help windows. Add the question mark button, but open URL link in browser instead.

I'm leaning towards the third option, since that would make it easier to implement in the rulesets, and potentially allow community wiki admins to contribute.

Regards,
JPG

Falantrius
May 6th, 2015, 00:18
It's an interesting idea. I can see a few approaches:

Tooltips: Could convey more info, at the risk of obscuring UI elements.
In-line help: An idea I've been meaning to explore once I get time. Basically, a question mark button in upper right of each window that opens overlay or separate window with help text/graphic. The challenge here is the sheer immensity of adding help to every window in every ruleset (and even more so if need to support extension overrides for local languages)
Online help: A similar idea, but maybe a tad easier due to not needing to build overlay/help windows. Add the question mark button, but open URL link in browser instead.

I'm leaning towards the third option, since that would make it easier to implement in the rulesets, and potentially allow community wiki admins to contribute.

Regards,
JPG
I think online help for HOW TO - like the syntax to weapon damage and stuff. But options should just be tooltip popups OR a HELP link to a Video explaining all the options.

Thanks for the link - I didn't know where the WISHLIST was.