PDA

View Full Version : Projecting from the ceiling to a game table

ddavison
May 5th, 2015, 01:36
I found an attachment for projectors that provides a first source mirror that is adjustable and easily attached to most projectors. See the link below.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201089436232?lpid=82&chn=ps

I've been thinking about doing this for a while, and this finally looks like it will be "neat" enough to consider. I wasn't really a fan of doing a 2nd suspended mirror and having that mounted separately to my ceiling. I have an electrical outlet on my ceiling next to the location where I plan to mount the projector. Through a miscommunication, I didn't also put an HDMI port next to it. Now I need to either put in a new port and re-run a cable through finished drywall or look for a wireless solution. Has anyone had experience with wireless projectors? It looks like I might be able to go full wireless, bluetooth or maybe even Chromecast. I already have a Chromecast, but I'm not sure if I can broadcast FG and/or Photoshop through it. Is anyone here using something like that at all? I need a decent projector that will work from a 9-foot ceiling bounced through that sort of projector attachment and hopefully with a way to do it without having to hang wires down or route through a finished ceiling.

My "extra" projector is a lower resolution DLP Viewsonic projector that only has an SVGA and S-video connection, so I'm already assuming I'll need to get a new projector.

Nickademus
May 5th, 2015, 01:45
I wish you luck. I used to play Rock Band in my friend's conference room that had a projector aimed at the wall. It can be very convenient not to have a screen sometimes.

damned
May 5th, 2015, 03:48
it wont work with Chromecast.... thats all I can contribute!

Falantrius
May 5th, 2015, 09:10
I build theaters for ppl and my suggestion to you would be to build a table with a flat screen in it - and put a sheet of poly over the top. This is similar to what the Microsoft surface does but you build it yourself - which is cheaper. Alternately, you can buy a table and CUT the hole in the table - the size of the screen and mount it under it. Personally I think this works better than a projector.

When using projectors for the table, the players tend to get in the way of the projection a lot.

damned
May 5th, 2015, 11:16
I like the flat screen TV thing better too... probably a higher resolution as well.

PopinFRESH
May 5th, 2015, 21:20
I found an attachment for projectors that provides a first source mirror that is adjustable and easily attached to most projectors. See the link below.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201089436232?lpid=82&chn=ps

I've been thinking about doing this for a while, and this finally looks like it will be "neat" enough to consider. I wasn't really a fan of doing a 2nd suspended mirror and having that mounted separately to my ceiling. I have an electrical outlet on my ceiling next to the location where I plan to mount the projector. Through a miscommunication, I didn't also put an HDMI port next to it. Now I need to either put in a new port and re-run a cable through finished drywall or look for a wireless solution. Has anyone had experience with wireless projectors? It looks like I might be able to go full wireless, bluetooth or maybe even Chromecast. I already have a Chromecast, but I'm not sure if I can broadcast FG and/or Photoshop through it. Is anyone here using something like that at all? I need a decent projector that will work from a 9-foot ceiling bounced through that sort of projector attachment and hopefully with a way to do it without having to hang wires down or route through a finished ceiling.

My "extra" projector is a lower resolution DLP Viewsonic projector that only has an SVGA and S-video connection, so I'm already assuming I'll need to get a new projector.

Hey Doug,

As previously noted, chrome cast wouldn't work for this, however, a small NUC form factor PC (such as a Gigabyte BRIX) would be a good option to mount along with the projector. You could then use a short 6" - 12" HDMI cable to output to the projector and Bluetooth / WiFi to connect to the internet and wireless Keyboard & mouse. The only drawback is this is significantly more expensive than a $35 Chrome cast. If you have a Mac, you could also accomplish this wirelessly with an AppleTV and AirPlay. I no longer have a projector but I've been running some in-person games via Steam's In-home streaming to a Steam Machine hooked up to my 55" TV and it's worked pretty well so far. I'm mostly using Fantasy Grounds to manage the story progression, handouts, maps, etc. and we do the rest by hand. I run the PC instance via Steam's In-home streaming and then run a second GM instance on my second PC.

BRIX: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856164021&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Mini-PC+Barebone-_-N82E16856164021&gclid=CKaEteS1q8UCFRc2gQodoWoAqg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Regards,
-PopinFRESH

P.S. A good 1080p projector is also going to be fairly expensive.

Andraax
May 6th, 2015, 00:35
As previously noted, chrome cast wouldn't work for this,

Why not? I had previously casted my session to a Chromecast, and just tested it out again, and it still works fine. The only issue might be the projector's ability to handle the output from Chromecast, but I know that some of them at least can handle it.

ddavison
May 6th, 2015, 01:20
It looks like Chromecast added an experimental mode where you can cast your entire desktop - much like Apple TV's mirror mode. The TV route is probably cheaper. It would mean that I'd have to cut a shelf in the table though, if I wanted a flat surface.

Andraax
May 6th, 2015, 01:45
Actually, Chromecast has had the ability to cast the entire screen since nearly back to when it was released. What they added recently was the ability to cast any individual window by itself.

damned
May 6th, 2015, 05:27
Actually, Chromecast has had the ability to cast the entire screen since nearly back to when it was released. What they added recently was the ability to cast any individual window by itself.

Ahh - that is the difference then. As a GM Doug is probably only wanting to stream the second instance of FG.

PopinFRESH
May 7th, 2015, 09:07
Ahh - that is the difference then. As a GM Doug is probably only wanting to stream the second instance of FG.

Yeah, I didn't realize they had added that functionality to cast other windows. Good to know!

-PopinFRESH

ddavison
May 7th, 2015, 14:20
I will probably experiment some with Chromecast on my newer (but still old) projector to make sure it works well before I decide if I want to go that route. My wife is already giving me irritated looks when she sees me searching for a new projector to buy.

JohnD
May 7th, 2015, 22:50
I will probably experiment some with Chromecast on my newer (but still old) projector to make sure it works well before I decide if I want to go that route. My wife is already giving me irritated looks when she sees me searching for a new projector to buy.

Most women are like that, doesn't matter what the item is.

damned
May 8th, 2015, 01:29
My wife is already giving me irritated looks when she sees me searching for a new projector to buy.

Good!
You already get to work full time in the gaming industry - at least you still have to experience some of the same stuff the rest of us mere mortals do too.