PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Connectivity and Bandwidth

laxarus
May 4th, 2015, 23:09
I DM a cyberpunk 2020 game and am about to deploy overseas. I don't mind attempting do design and build my own modules to add on to FG to run the game system but I am concerned that I will have limited bandwidth with which to connect to players. Having read multiple reviews where people complain about connectivity issues with this software I figured I would ask if it's worth buying if I plan to use it under conditions where it wouldn't work for our game.

seycyrus
May 4th, 2015, 23:36
Well, one of the members in my group was in the Air Force and took part in some exercises in some island. He connected to use from his hotel room. Didn't seem to have any issues. The same guy was able to connect in from Alaska, and his internet from ther wasn't that great either.

Nylanfs
May 4th, 2015, 23:36
Most connectivity issues are using wireless, if you would have access to the router or could talk to your IT support about getting a wired connection that would be best.

Bandwidth isn't really an issue except when sharing images, and most of the bandwith is right upfront as the players connect. If you arrange a time a day or two ahead of time you can setup your campaign and they can log-in and get it when they can. It will run smoother.

laxarus
May 5th, 2015, 00:21
I don't think I will have access to high levels of bandwidth and I intend to use a chat/video program besides. Is this going to be an issue? Just how much of a bandwidth hog is this program once graphics have synced?

Nylanfs
May 5th, 2015, 00:34
Next to nothing really, the program was designed over 10 years ago when the baseline was still dial-up. :)

Trenloe
May 5th, 2015, 03:13
I intend to use a chat/video program besides.
If you're going to use video then this will be the first to fail/disconnect/become unusable with low/restricted bandwidth. If you think you'll be able to use video then you'll have absolutely no issues with Fantasy Grounds. Pen-and-paper RPGs don't need high FPS or low pings to work well, if an image takes 20 seconds to share, who cares? Just chat among yourselves while you're waiting for it to load...

If your bandwidth is really low then you'll have to forget about video, and you might even have issues with voice - then you might want to consider doing all of your FG role-playing using the built in text capabilities - this will run fine over even very low bandwidth connections.

people complain about connectivity issues with this software
This is not due to FG hogging bandwidth, this is usually due to network routers needing specific configuration, ISPs not providing the right access until you request it, security software restricting access, etc..

damned
May 5th, 2015, 03:25
deploying overseas - with the military... if you are on a military provided internet link you will very unlikely be able to set the required Incoming port to be able to HOST games. as a player it probably would work but as a GM unlikely...
if you are able to run a VPN service - like Hamachi or many others - you should be ok - but again this might be blocked on a military network....