PDA

View Full Version : Steam + OS X = No New Rules?

Pagan71
May 3rd, 2015, 23:50
Acquired Fantasy Grounds from Steam for Mac OS X. Installed easily and seamlessly updated license.

However, I cannot add any downloaded rulesets (from the world at large) to the environment. Clicking the folder icon in the top left and adding anything - modules, rulesets, etc. works without issue. When I restart, FantasyGround hangs then crashes out. If I go remove whatever I added, it restarts without issue.

Thoughts?

damned
May 4th, 2015, 00:34
Hi Pagan71 - what folder are you putting the modules/rulesets etc into?

Valarian
May 4th, 2015, 01:02
I think he may mean from Steam. Unfortunately, Steam will only allow the download against one "game" and this is the Windows version. The workaround for Mac Users is to send the receipt for the downloadable content to Doug at the Smiteworks support at fantasygrounds.com email address. He can then add the rights to the store and the updater will download them.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/faq.php?faq=license_and_purchasing_issues#faq_dela yed_orders

Pagan71
May 4th, 2015, 02:10
I'm installed through Steam - the license even works fine on the Mac. Any attempt to add content NOT purchased from Steam fails.

/Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Fantasy Grounds/FantasyGrounds.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/users/Wineskin/Application Data/Fantasy Grounds

From there, I am placing campaigns, rulesets, modules, and extensions in their appropriate directories.

Thus far, any resource not “purchased” prevents the app from booting. Icon appears in the dock, the pinwheel appears and then the application fails.

Pagan71
May 4th, 2015, 02:19
Example as I just tested it...

I run FG from Steam - completely successfully. I then use the folder icon to access the resources. I then add Valarian's DresdenFiles.pak into the rulesets space. I close and relaunch FG. The application shows in the dock, I get a pinwheel for a bit and then the application crashes without splash. I haven't run FSEVENTER yet to trace every single file touch (but can) and am sure my system is powerful enough (MBP, Mid-2012, 2.7 GHZ i7, 16GBRAM, 500GB SSD, Nvidia GeForce GT650M)

damned
May 4th, 2015, 02:31
it sounds like you are doing everything correctly. also your computer is fast enough.
we will need a mac user/dev to chime in at this point....

ianmward
May 4th, 2015, 08:02
Hi,
Can you check that it is not running out of disk space or memory? I have seen FG die if there is not enough memory. Also, have you switched off Steam Overlay for FG? This is not necessarily related but is recommended.

Zeus
May 4th, 2015, 10:22
Example as I just tested it...

I run FG from Steam - completely successfully. I then use the folder icon to access the resources. I then add Valarian's DresdenFiles.pak into the rulesets space. I close and relaunch FG. The application shows in the dock, I get a pinwheel for a bit and then the application crashes without splash. I haven't run FSEVENTER yet to trace every single file touch (but can) and am sure my system is powerful enough (MBP, Mid-2012, 2.7 GHZ i7, 16GBRAM, 500GB SSD, Nvidia GeForce GT650M)

Make sure that your on the latest version (3.0.13), if not do an update. Can you also check the path to your app data, you can do this by clicking Settings on the launcher and checking the path that is set. By default it should be pointing to a path that is inside your FantasyGrounds.app file. If your continuing to experience problems you can try and change this to an external path e.g.

/Users/<your username>/Library/Application Support/FantasyGrounds

If you have existing campaign data, you can then copy any existing campaign data over to the new path and then relaunch FG.