PDA

View Full Version : How do I Make Custom Tokens that look like 5E MM Tokens?

arksorn
May 2nd, 2015, 17:47
I like the token format used for the 5E MM tokens. But there are some that are missing and I would like to add some of my own. How do I Make Custom Tokens that look like 5E MM Tokens?

I have tokentool if that is used, but I don't see a base format that matches.

damned
May 3rd, 2015, 08:15
tokens are just .png files.
Typically you should aim for 50x50px for Medium, 100x100px for Large etc.
TokenTool works just fine.

arksorn
May 3rd, 2015, 14:09
Thank you damned.

I meant specifically, the format for the ring size, color, and shadowing that they use?

damned
May 3rd, 2015, 15:21
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6908881/Creating%20TokenTool%20Overlays%20with%20the%20GIM P.pdf

arksorn
May 3rd, 2015, 15:57
Thank you again damned.

Does anyone know specifically what settings FG used? I will try my best to match and if know one knows, I'll post my best attempt here.

damned
May 3rd, 2015, 16:01
here is a really quick and dirty version.
if you asked Zeus or Doug really nicely they might post theirs....

Zeus
May 3rd, 2015, 19:44
Let me check with Doug on the legalities of sharing the token background and border. If Doug and Wizards are happy for us to share then I'll post up the master I made.

JeffKnight
May 4th, 2015, 03:45
Let me check with Doug on the legalities of sharing the token background and border. If Doug and Wizards are happy for us to share then I'll post up the master I made.

That'd be great for people like me who love uniformity. :D

ddavison
May 5th, 2015, 23:06
We would like to keep the official versions separate from community made versions. I will see if Zeph wouldn't mind creating a slightly derivative, but similar version that he can share here.

arksorn
May 6th, 2015, 00:13
Thanks ddavison

As you know, there are so many one-off npcs in D&D. I would very much like those to look as close to the official version as possible. Same for player drawn images for their PCs.

Not trying to remake all of the monster manual, just trying to make a great consistent look for my games with lots npcs and pcs included.

arksorn
May 14th, 2015, 00:17
Hi ddavison

Have you had a chance to check with Zeph yet?

CraneBane
January 24th, 2017, 11:33
Bumping this old thread in the hope of seeing the aforementioned "slightly derivative, but similar version" of the official token background that is used in the Monster Manual tokens.

Also, I would really like to know the pixel resolution the MM official token are made with. I often see that FG recommends 50x50px or 63x63px for medium sized creatures, but the official tokens seems to be of a much higher resolution. They scale really well when zooming in and I would like my own tokens that I create to do the same and be consistent with the official tokens.

Specifically I would like to learn the pixel size of the medium, large and huge creature tokens in the Monster Manual. I don't know how to find this information on my own since we are unable to export these tokens.

damned
January 24th, 2017, 11:50
If you make the tokens of higher resolution they will use more memory but scale better.
I believe the official stance is to keep the Wizards official content identifiable and that means not releasing the exact token frame.

Zacchaeus
January 24th, 2017, 11:55
The .png's in the Monster Manual are 50x50 for small/tiny 100x100 for medium 200x200 for Large 300x300 for really big and 400x400 for really really big. (And pretty much all tokens done by Zeus in all of his work are the same dimensions, LMoP, HotDQ etc))

For Volo's Guide and SKT I just used 100x100 or 256x256 for everything. For modules that TASAgent did (COS, SCAG, OotA etc) he used 256x256 mainly. ddavison used the same resolution as Zeus in products such as Primeval Thule and the Tome of Beasts.

As far as I know no slightly derivitive token background was ever made available.

CraneBane
January 24th, 2017, 12:25
Thank you for the reply. This was exactly what I was hoping for.

Actually I am surprised that the official medium MM creatures are a mere 100x100px; when I create tokens of this size they tend to look considerably worse when zoomed in.

I realize that the pixel size will have a bearing on FG system performance, but I am actually more concerned with the tokens scaling correctly when when I place them on the battlemap. I sometimes have problems with NPC tokens of more than 100x100px (I use 100x100 grid) that when placed on the battlemap somehow minimize the size of the tokens already there. I guess this has something to do with "Release/Lock Token Scale" setting and/or the "Reset Individual Token Scale" - I find this rather confusing to be honest.

Ideally I would like to create my tokens where the pixel size would follow the creature size and thus avoiding this problem. Maybe you have some helpful input on this matter?

Thank you again for your great support.

Zacchaeus
January 24th, 2017, 12:41
Yes, normally when I have a new map and after I've set the grid I place a token on it and then click release token scale and then lock token scale and then delete the token. Now, any token subsequently placed on the battlemap should be correctly scaled no matter what its size.

CraneBane
January 24th, 2017, 13:07
Yes, normally when I have a new map and after I've set the grid I place a token on it and then click release token scale and then lock token scale and then delete the token. Now, any token subsequently placed on the battlemap should be correctly scaled no matter what its size.

That is a fantastic piece of advice for a work-around. Thank you very much Zac. Using this technique I guess I can create all token 256x256px (or whatever) regardless of creature size, and not have to worry about scaling issues ... right?

Trenloe
January 24th, 2017, 16:17
I sometimes have problems with NPC tokens of more than 100x100px (I use 100x100 grid) that when placed on the battlemap somehow minimize the size of the tokens already there.
Look at the campaign auto resize setting - by default it resizes tokens to fit within a sqaure at 80%. So, if the token is 100x100 and the square is 100x100 the token will be resized to 80x80.

Ideally I would like to create my tokens where the pixel size would follow the creature size and thus avoiding this problem. Maybe you have some helpful input on this matter?
Setting a specific token size based off a creature size only really has merit if you always have maps of the same square size. If you don't (and most commercial maps will have differing pixels-per-square sizes) then your tokens will be resized anyway.

ddavison
January 24th, 2017, 16:36
I always change my campaign preference to do a 100% resize instead of 80% because I like the bigger tokens and I normally use round ones anyway. Moon Wizard likes 80% so they don't completely fill the square.

Zacchaeus
January 24th, 2017, 18:02
I always change my campaign preference to do a 100% resize instead of 80% because I like the bigger tokens and I normally use round ones anyway. Moon Wizard likes 80% so they don't completely fill the square.

Oh, so that's why we have two options at 80% and 100% :)

Zhern
January 25th, 2017, 16:01
If you are looking for a bit more customizability for token frames, you can always use Token Stamp (https://rolladvantage.com/tokenstamp/). You don't have to make a new frame to use with it like you would for Token Tool. You get a decent number of shape choices and can change the colors of the border, background, text, and choose from several overlay options, though.

JohnD
January 26th, 2017, 03:52
If you are looking for a bit more customizability for token frames, you can always use Token Stamp (https://rolladvantage.com/tokenstamp/). You don't have to make a new frame to use with it like you would for Token Tool. You get a decent number of shape choices and can change the colors of the border, background, text, and choose from several overlay options, though.

Nice.