PDA

View Full Version : Module Question

Nickademus
May 2nd, 2015, 01:04
I'm thinking about making a module containing custom content. I'm curious if there is a community module (or a module shell) that has the class definitions for the new drag-and-drop content that the 5e ruleset has. Obviously the WotC modules are locked due to the data, but the xml structure should still be free to share. Anyone have knowledge of this?

Trenloe
May 2nd, 2015, 01:06
You're best looking at PAR5E and the documentation that comes with that.

Moon Wizard
May 2nd, 2015, 01:08
You can also look in the campaign/scripts/manager_char.lua file which handles all the PC sheet drops, as well as the reference_* window classes for each reference type.

Regards,
JPG

Nickademus
May 2nd, 2015, 01:18
So the automation for races and classes came from PAR5E, not the WotC Store products. Nice. Thanks.

Trenloe
May 2nd, 2015, 01:24
So the automation for races and classes came from PAR5E, not the WotC Store products.
To be precise - the automation comes from the base 5E ruleset. As long as the race/class/whatever object you drag/drop is in the right format, the 5E ruleset will process the data correctly.

Dakadin
May 2nd, 2015, 01:25
The automation should be in the ruleset if you get them setup your modules in the same format. The reference_* window classes that MW mentioned should have the fields used and the manager_char.lua should reference how it adds the individual items to the characters.

EDIT: LOL. Should have realized that Trenloe would beat me to it. ;)

Nickademus
May 2nd, 2015, 01:35
I watched some of the PAR5E tutorial video, and it seems like a very useful tool. Of course you people already knew that. What I'm curious about is why there are no empty modules yet. I realize you must parse all the WotC data, but do people not make custom data yet?

Is there any reason not to make an empty module shell that people can use to type in new classes/races/backgrounds/feats/skills/etc.?

Larac
May 2nd, 2015, 02:17
Par5e is very good for moving content into FG is large chunks.

Once you do a few sections it becomes very quick.

Like I added 50 or so Wondrous Items in in a few hours, but that was adjusting them to 5e and removing prices and stuff.

The Magic Item is really simple

NAME
Type, rarity
TXT

No codes or anything added.
Unless you have a table to make.
Xorn's hot key list for autohotkey makes tables much faster, as well as a few others he did.

I am looking at making an Outline that can be used that has some of the basic structure done, with headers and such for story section.
Still learning Par5e so may be a few before I have something that works.

Got Spells that work, Magic Items, and Race all working.
Made more than a few errors and corrected WOTC helps as well as changing Caps on a list and such.
When you get an error or it does not build a module look at the last thing that worked should help find the error.
Also may examples on the 2 main topics here that I found my error talked about.

Be careful when setting up the DIR and such and assigning them, and be sure to make save the settings so once you have them they are there, to load.
Has to be NAME.properties to show on the load list btw.

I did buy the PHB Deluxe as it saves so much time.

Being able to use a text editor makes it much faster, than open a window paste, and repeat in my mind.

Can not do everything through Par5e but it does the lions share.

Trenloe
May 2nd, 2015, 02:34
Is there any reason not to make an empty module shell that people can use to type in new classes/races/backgrounds/feats/skills/etc.?
The reason being: people enter their data into a text file and use PAR5E, once you're used to it the process is quicker than manually copy/paste/typing directly in XML.

Making your text compatible with PAR5E means that any future updates to the 5E ruleset as far as module data goes can be incorporated into the PAR5E application and you just run your original saved data through the new PAR5E - quick and easy. If you had manually created the library XML, even from a skeleton, you'd have to know exactly what the new changes/additions were and would have to go into the XML and manually make all the required changes.

Nickademus
May 2nd, 2015, 02:41
Perhaps I didn't explain my thought clearly. I'm not talking about the data PAR5E uses, but rather the format of the xml from the file that PAR5E creates. In theory, this is the same structure the xml would need to be in if PAR5E wasn't used.

Edit: Ah, I see now. I thought PAR5E was designed to parse pdf's. It didn't dawn on me that it is just text files and that anyone could type up the text. Much easier.

Larac
May 2nd, 2015, 03:21
Nick
You got it.

It works great as a data entry tool.