PDA

View Full Version : Maps will not load when shared by the DM

PrestonLee
May 1st, 2015, 21:22
I looked through the forums for this problem and didn't find anything. Hopefully someone will be able to help me. When we enter a dungeon or combat and the DM shares the maps with everyone I can't see anything. The map window just says "loading" for a long time and then goes blank. The other players are able to see and interact with the map but I can not. Anyone have any idea what this is?

Trenloe
May 1st, 2015, 21:24
What user name do you "Join Game" as from Fantasy Grounds? There has been recent issues where a player's name had non standard characters in it ({ : etc.) and this screwed up accessing the images shared by the GM.

Also, ask the GM to look at what size the images they're sharing are. If they should try to keep the size of the image to below 1MB, smaller if possible.

PrestonLee
May 1st, 2015, 21:28
What user name do you "Join Game" as from Fantasy Grounds? There has been recent issues where a player's name had non standard characters in it ({ : etc.) and this screwed up accessing the images shared by the GM.

Also, ask the GM to look at what size the images they're sharing are. If they should try to keep the size of the image to below 1MB, smaller if possible.

I dont use any characters that aren't just letters.

If it were a file size issue though, wouldn't that mean that all of the other players would be experiencing this too?

Trenloe
May 1st, 2015, 21:32
If it were a file size issue though, wouldn't that mean that all of the other players would be experiencing this too?
Not necessarily. FG isn't a multi-threaded application - so things aren't done in parallel. For some strange reason it might be treating your connection as the last one it sends data to. Reducing the file size of maps is good practice anyway, and is usually the first thing to look at when some players have download issues.

Nylanfs
May 1st, 2015, 23:32
Especially if they users are on a wireless connection.

damned
May 1st, 2015, 23:45
the issue with wireless is usually caused when the wireless connection isnt actually that reliable. web browsing appears ok but larger file transfers - encrypted file transfers - sometimes fail.
set up a large ping on the wireless machine:

ping 8.8.8.8 -n 200

if you get more than say 2% dropout you might want to try finding a position closer to your WiFi device and retrying.

also on teh affected machine - delete the player cache - use the atomic symbol on the Join Game screen. this will clear any existing cache issues but cause that initial large download on your next connection.

Larac
May 2nd, 2015, 02:41
<https://tinypng.com/

Might help as well,
Good Luck!

Trenloe
May 2nd, 2015, 02:45
Another thing to do is on your player side, open the FG console window by typing /console in the chat window. This can sometimes give errors/warnings of file transfers and help to track down an issue.

Mask_of_winter
May 2nd, 2015, 03:08
I had that problem as a player when my data folder was in a google drive. It would cause the files to get corrupted.

Majorian
May 2nd, 2015, 04:01
Hi, I'm the DM in question. I keep the maps in the FG directory.

A little bit more information. Some players are using hamachi to connect, PrestonLee usually connects over the LAN at my apartment, but even if he connects using hamachi the problem still persists.

As for file size, most of the maps are in the 400-600kB range, so I'm not sure what to do there.

I suspect the issue might be his cache because it has worked in the past.

Trenloe
May 2nd, 2015, 04:21
I suspect the issue might be his cache because it has worked in the past.
Yeah, clear the cache first. Then if you still have issues check the console for errors/warnings (see post #8 above).