PDA

View Full Version : The One Ring: A Gathering Shadow (Sat 8pm UK time)

Valarian
May 1st, 2015, 08:51
I'm thinking of starting up what, I hope, will be a long running campaign for The One Ring. This will greatly depend on the mix of players and characters. The details of the story are to be decided from the characters that players come up with. The theme will be a gathering darkness as the shadow takes power once again in Mordor. The setting will start around 2949 TA, and I'll continue as long as we can all keep it going in terms of ideas and enjoyment of the game. This could mean a one shot if things don't work, or it could mean a two year campaign.

As a GM, I want players who will engage with the setting, the story and their characters. I want players with a mature (in outlook not age) attitude, who will act as the free-folk of Middle-earth are liable to act. You will gain shadow (especially for misdeeds) and lose hope, this is not a punishment but part of the setting. I'm open to starting the setting in Eriador or in Rhovanion, but I want players who are interested in story over character "optimisation" or making the system work for them. Preferably no Dunedain or Elves. If you want to play one of those races, I want a good backstory and reason for it. Ideally, ordinary folk who have decided to act rather than sit back and watch. A holding or steadfast could form a part of the game, with the characters protecting their home. This will be a two-way process, the more players give me as story from their characters and engage with the setting, the more I'm going to be able to provide as a GM and the longer the story will go on.

I would prefer to run using the text-chat, but I'm open to using voice chat if all players agree. If so, probably a Skype group or Google Hangouts. My characterisation and description are better in written media, and I can publish the chat logs for the players to refer to.

Depending on interest, I'll look to create characters next week (9th May) and start the week after. If players are keen, then the online character builder (https://azrapse.es/tor/sheet.html) can be used and we can start on the 9th May. Please respond and give an idea as to what sort of character you'd like to play.

Calendar Entry: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1410

Stuart
May 2nd, 2015, 08:57
8PM Saturday GMT works fine for me, definitely interested.

jujuex
May 2nd, 2015, 09:32
Would love to join you guys. Have never played "The One Ring", but I have heard great things about it. If you guys would be willing to teach I would be willing to learn. I have applied on the calendar page from the hyper-link you have provided. Look forward to joining you guys next week. Btw Valarian would love to speak with you prior to next Saturday, "Character Creation Day," to ask all my noob question so that I am not taking up to much of your attention. I have a skype account user name jujuex1. Talk you guys guys later :).

VenomousFiligree
May 2nd, 2015, 09:43
I'd like to join in. I'll get some info to you over the next few days. Putting down my vote for text chat.

Valarian
May 2nd, 2015, 09:52
I'd certainly prefer to run text chat. My descriptions are far better in written form and you don't get the squeaky goblin sounding as if it ought to be a troll (gruff bass voice).

Jujuex ... are you available this evening (my time)? I could do an intro session for you and Werd if you're interested. Or chat on skype to take you through the basics of the system.

damned
May 2nd, 2015, 10:16
Valarian - I posted a screenshot from FG Con 6 on G+ and several people there expressed an interested. Would you have room if I directed people here?

Valarian
May 2nd, 2015, 10:43
All full now - got 6 potentials. I'll post if a slot opens up though. One of the people I know wants to play, from FGCon, can't make Saturdays.

Tompa
May 2nd, 2015, 11:03
I am also interested if additional slot opens :-)

borusa32
May 2nd, 2015, 11:10
I am always interested in playing in this ...however I have a cranky idea that I want to explore...

VenomousFiligree
May 3rd, 2015, 09:46
Are we going to discuss character concepts before next Saturday, or wait for the character creation session? It would be good if we can have good party concept rather than a number of individual PCs...

Valarian
May 3rd, 2015, 14:28
Feel free. The thread is open for discussion. So far we've got a Beorning Huntsman (Warden), but he's more of a boar hunter than a bowman so there's an opening for an archer if someone prefers ranged combat. Other that that, things are still open. I too would like a company with a common cause and reasons for doing what they do.

VenomousFiligree
May 3rd, 2015, 21:22
I've a hankering for playing a dwarf, but that's not cut and dried. My 'canon' knowledge is restricted to the books (a long time ago) and the films more recently, so need to do a bit of 'revision"! :)

borusa32
May 4th, 2015, 07:12
I am going to be a Woodman or Barding I think. Probably more motivated to mend things than break them.

VenomousFiligree
May 4th, 2015, 08:15
I think it'll be good to have a tie to a holding of some sort. Where are we going to be based, Eriador probably gets my vote?

Valarian
May 4th, 2015, 08:20
I've a hankering for playing a dwarf, but that's not cut and dried. My 'canon' knowledge is restricted to the books (a long time ago) and the films more recently, so need to do a bit of 'revision"! :)
Dwarves are good. Erebor wasn't repopulated until 8 years ago though (2941 was when Thorin and company retook Erebor, starting the game in 2949), so what was your Dwarf doing before then and what is his interest in the Anduin valley. He could be from the Blue Mountains (where Thorin took his people and built a home), or from the Iron Hills (and settled in Erebor with Daín Ironfoot when he became king).

Callings in the game are Warden (motivated to defend the free folk but can desire power), Scholar (motivated by knowledge but can fall prey to the lure of secrets), Slayer (motivated by revenge but can lose yourself in it), Treasure Hunter (motivated to find treasure but can succumb to dragon-sickness).

Valarian
May 4th, 2015, 08:21
I think it'll be good to have a tie to a holding of some sort. Where are we going to be based, Eriador probably gets my vote?
It's looking like the Anduin Valley, between the Misty Mountains and the forest so far. Trips into/through Eriador and elsewhere are possible. I'm not tying the company to Rhovanion.

Valarian
May 4th, 2015, 08:23
I am going to be a Woodman or Barding I think. Probably more motivated to mend things than break them.
Woodmen make good healers. Bardings (or Lakemen) make good spokesmen. Depends on the sort of mending you have in mind. Crafting would be physical mending of stuff (and could help reduce shadow in fellowship phases). Dwarves tend to head to the forges for that, rather than song.

VenomousFiligree
May 4th, 2015, 09:31
Dwarves are good. Erebor wasn't repopulated until 8 years ago though (2941 was when Thorin and company retook Erebor, starting the game in 2949), so what was your Dwarf doing before then and what is his interest in the Anduin valley. He could be from the Blue Mountains (where Thorin took his people and built a home), or from the Iron Hills (and settled in Erebor with Daín Ironfoot when he became king).

Callings in the game are Warden (motivated to defend the free folk but can desire power), Scholar (motivated by knowledge but can fall prey to the lure of secrets), Slayer (motivated by revenge but can lose yourself in it), Treasure Hunter (motivated to find treasure but can succumb to dragon-sickness).

Hmm, Scholar sounds a bit different (for a dwarf). Maybe he's searching for something around the Mountain Hall area of the Misty Mountains...

borusa32
May 4th, 2015, 18:21
Yes, would wish to be a healer-I have a feeling that may come in handy. So a woodman it is. Might know the dwarf.

VenomousFiligree
May 6th, 2015, 21:12
Decisions, decisions... The more 'revision' I do the more I wan to play all options!

What's the party make up so far?

VenomousFiligree
May 6th, 2015, 22:15
Just seen the three PCs in the calendar.

Valarian
May 7th, 2015, 08:33
Aye, we look to have 2 Woodmen and a Beorning so far. The vale of Anduin looking a lot more likely as a playing ground though, as previously stated, this doesn't prevent excursions to Eriador or Rohan in the game. Some of the threads I have in the back of my mind would take you on some fairly epic long journeys. A Dwarf of Erebor would be a nice addition, if you're still looking to playing one - perhaps you have been giving mining advice at Firienseld (Mountain Hall) or travelling the roads between the Blue Mountains and Erebor.

As I've said, the more back story and character goals I can get out of you on Saturday the better for me as the GM and, ultimately, you as players. A scholar Dwarf sounds really interesting, though probably still fairly decent in a fight. What is he researching or looking for? Lost Dwarf crafts skills (could take you in to some dark places)? Trading routes (a reason for travelling all around Middle-earth)?

VenomousFiligree
May 7th, 2015, 19:49
Definitely going with a dwarf, just not sure whether to go Slayer or Scribe...

Valarian
May 9th, 2015, 20:05
Server is running for tonight's game. For those who are still to connect.

Valarian
May 16th, 2015, 20:14
Calling all Middle-earth adventurers ... the server is awaiting.