PDA

View Full Version : Gauging Interest

Nickademus
May 1st, 2015, 04:52
I'm curious if there is enough interest in something a bit different from the norm to make is worth the time of myself or another GM to do.

The idea is a game on FG that has the feel of an old-school video game. Story-driven with a focus on combat and tactics, bringing an atmosphere of the classics like Zelda, Final Fantasy, Mega Man or Secret of Mana.

System: 5e
Players: 3 or 4
Character Creation: Premade characters
Slot: *assume something you're able to do*
Campaign Emphasis: combat and action
Tools: FG and Team Speak
Music: classic video game music via TS

While the game would use the 5e ruleset, this would just be the shell for running it in FG. The actual content would vary from using most of the ruleset with game-specific additions to using the bare bones of the ruleset and relying on custom content for rules. (Even though the game would be focusing on combat like a video game does, I don't want a lot of rules content bogging things down.) The characters will be built from custom races and classes that match the game.

I see a lot of people saying they prefer role-playing over hack and slash (and such I run two RP-focused games) but I think this is different from the typical D&D/PF grind and could be refreshing while having a sense of nostalgia. What do you guys/gals think?

jujuex
May 1st, 2015, 05:02
I think it would be awesome to create and play, but working out the mechanics for character creation for some of the unique abilities from those mentioned games might be tricky :).

damned
May 1st, 2015, 06:18
Leave the munsters with their same attacks but give them tint amounts of HP so they are dangerous until you strike them... Allow you to flow thru scene after scene - each monster posing a challenge but not a life threatening one (usually!).

Nickademus
May 1st, 2015, 20:47
I already figured that. I'm not concerned with the building of the game. I wouldn't have any trouble with that (if I was planning to actually run something like this).

My post was more for people's opinions about playing in such a game.

Nickademus
May 2nd, 2015, 01:57
After looking more at 5e, I feel that it would be an ideal choice for recreating the action video game environment. It has just enough combat tactics to give some breathing room while not having the mountains of choices that make PF combat lag a bit.

damned
May 2nd, 2015, 10:10
There is a GM over here in Aus who runs a face to face game every week called Die with Honour. Its been running for several years at least. It has no end, players and characters comes and go and keep striving towards a victory that stays just out of reach... I think you would get players without too much trouble.

Welcome to the final slaughter of the mercenary scum of adventurers that claimed to fight for the king of Cormyr, the righteous, and the victorious...Huh. AS if they can barely keep them selves alive let alone victorious. The last of the die hard adventurer's all worn out and tired trying to finish a job meant for an army that is all dead...and their next, but they do not know that.

Party of 4-5 Gamers required for the last act of defiance against the evil in stone mount. One of the most blackly and evilest hearts of the land. Guaranteed miss-recognised and distorted creatures of the land ever. It took 4 battalions of men - which included knights, footmen, archers, priest and Magi - just to halt the wave of demons and monsters flowing from the black heart into -the once rich- now war torn land. While every one else is licking there wounds you lot (players) and two other mercenary parties - that did not enter main battle - are being sent in to the heart of mountain and make sure it is clear…. Or not. This is an ongoing decade spanning Campaign that takes off from where you left off the previous year and for new players it also a new campaign at the same time.

Trenloe
May 3rd, 2015, 17:22
There is a GM over here in Aus who runs a face to face game every week called Die with Honour. Its been running for several years at least. It has no end, players and characters comes and go and keep striving towards a victory that stays just out of reach... I think you would get players without too much trouble.
Just like the GM who runs this in Aus (Sal), you'll have to swear and curse at the players when they make a lucky roll! ;)

Nickademus
May 3rd, 2015, 21:38
Just like the GM who runs this in Aus (Sal), you'll have to swear and curse at the players when they make a lucky roll! ;)

Already got that down. ;)