PDA

View Full Version : 5E Offical LMoP module - Error when loading encounters into combat tracker

neologiker
May 1st, 2015, 02:51
Hello all,

I decided to use a different map for Thundertree while running the official 5E module, Lost Mine of Phandelver. I loaded up the new map fine and placed all the pins for the adventure text. Clicking on those brings up the adventure text as expected. I then needed to place all the monsters in their starting position on the new map, so I clicked the Encounter link in each pinned adventure text segment, which opened the encounters; in turn, I uncheck the Placement checkmarks for each mob, and that turns the checkmarks into tokens. So far so good. I drag the tokens to their new starting positions on my new map. Clicking the little down arrow at the bottom of the encounter window successfully loads the monsters into the encounter tracker, so it seems like everything is working fine.

Now here's where I have problems. If I close FG and then open it and load up the new map, everything works (clicking the pins, then clicking the encounter link in the adventure text), UNTIL I try to load the encounter by pressing the down arrow. At that point, I receive the following error: "Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_combat.lua"]:611: addToken: Parameter 1 is not the name of a valid image." The monster loads into the combat tracker, but its token does not appear on the map. In cases where there are multiple monsters in the encounter, only one of the monsters loads into the combat tracker. I'm guessing the error interrupts the process at that point.

Any ideas?

Moon Wizard
May 1st, 2015, 09:55
I think this is related to a similar issue I'm looking at addressing for the next release. Basically, you can not add campaign objects to module data, due to some legacy code assuming that module records only use module data.

The workaround in this case is to not use the module placement. It's a little more work, but after adding to the combat tracker, you can drag the red faction marker from the bottom of the combat tracker onto a map to quickly place all faction tokens on the map in a line. Then, adjust position and ready to go. It's how users did it before we added encounter placements.

Cheers,
JPG

neologiker
May 2nd, 2015, 17:38
Thanks, Moon Wizard. Can you tell me if I've followed the correct steps for your workaround?

1. Open an encounter.
2. Drag the encounter icon to the combat tracker.
3. Drag the red faction marker to the map.

If that's what you meant by "after adding to the combat tracker, you can drag the red faction marker... onto a map", then here are a couple other issues I've had (just in case you're not aware of these).

When testing this with LMoP, using P3-06.07 - Dragon's Tower, dragging the main encounter icon onto the combat tracker produces the same error as above twice, and also adds 2 Young Green Dragons, even though there is only one in the encounter. Dragging just the Young Green Dragon's icon from the encounter to the combat tracker works fine.

Performing the same test, but with P3-06.02 - Blighted Cottages, results in two occurrences of the same error, but this time there are six monsters in the encounter, and only two of them show up in the combat tracker. If I repeatedly drag the encounter icon onto the combat tracker, two more monsters are added every time.

Now, dragging the red faction icon to the map also produces strange results.

No matter where I drop the faction icon, the monster tokens appear in the upper left corner of the map, which doesn't help if I'm scrolled over to view the right side of the map!

If I've had to drop the encounter icon on the combat tracker multiple times to get the correct number of monsters in the encounter, dragging the faction icon onto the map piles most of the tokens one on top of the other, instead of spread out, again all in the top left corner of the map. If I manually drag the monster icon from the encounter tracker, one time for each instance of the monster, and then drag the faction icon onto the map, they are spread out and easy to move, but still in the top left corner of the map.

Anyway, I hope this is of some help!

Moon Wizard
May 3rd, 2015, 10:53
Let me look into it a little more with the data you provided. Also, I am working on a fix for the next release for module records being edited with non-module links getting rewritten on reload.

Regards,
JPG

JohnD
May 3rd, 2015, 21:52
Nothing wrong with two green dragons; the party just dies a bit faster that's all.

Moon Wizard
May 3rd, 2015, 23:45
OK, I looked a little more into this today.

I'm not seeing any script errors on loading of encounters (tried dragging encounter link to CT as well as clicking Add to CT button on bottom of Encounter record). However, I am running a slightly newer version of software and module where I've addressed the issue of setting campaign links on module records (image, encounter, etc.).

On the faction drag placement, it looks like the calculation for calculating the mouse position when dropping the faction marker is bugged. I'll put that one on the list to fix too.

Cheers,
JPG

Nickademus
May 4th, 2015, 00:13
On the faction drag placement, it looks like the calculation for calculating the mouse position when dropping the faction marker is bugged. I'll put that one on the list to fix too.

I actually didn't know you could drag those to the tokens on the map. I just drag them to the faction symbol in the CT entry. That has worked fine for me (and thus will work until this bug is fixed).