PDA

View Full Version : custom tabletop

Niven81
April 30th, 2015, 20:39
Is there a tutorial for custom tabletops? I found one but it basically says to just copy what's in some else's custom tabletop and that leaves me out of figuring out things like the icons for the GM side bar things like the NPC, Library, etc buttons.

dberkompas
April 30th, 2015, 23:16
I wonder if there's a tutorial for creating a new desktop like you're asking.

If you pull apart the 5E ruleset, you can see the side bar graphics in graphics/icons,

Then do a global search in the parents directory, and look for that png name.

That might give you some insight into how easy/hard it might be for your background in development.

BoomerET

Nylanfs
May 1st, 2015, 02:08
This thread might be of some use. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18182-Change-the-theme-in-FG)

damned
May 1st, 2015, 06:12
Here you go (from a post I made on G+)

Fantasy Grounds - Basic Theme Extension

In this example Im only using 1 desktop elements - a tiling background with the logo already in place. In my case I dont really want my image to tile so Im going to use the maximum (horizontal) dimension which is 2048pixels.
So I start with an image that is 2048 wide and 1080 tall (largest common monitor size is 1920x1080 and larger ones will tile anyway as the largest image I can use is 2048).

Create the following files/folders:
extension.xml
logo.png
graphics\graphics_frames.xml
graphics\frames\scifi2048.jpg

note - traditionally this uses a PNG file because the DECAL usually has some transparency. if you dont need the transparency and you want to use a higher resolution graphic - use a JPG image as it will typically be MUCH smaller and will improve load times.
(new note added to this note! - use the decal extension instead of using decals in the background image)

As above the maximum image size is 2048x2048. if you use a decal (aligned with mid point of your window) and a right rect (right rect is aligned to the right of window and tiles vertically) these must also be within the 2048x2048 dimensions. They dont have to be in any particular position in the source graphic - you define the co-ordinates. If your window is larger than the middle rect frame it will tile both horizintally and vertically.
For reference the the code for decal and right is as per example below - your co-ordinates will be different. left, top, width, height.
<right rect="0,1080,100,600" />
<decal rect="0,1080,302,90" />

Example Files
extension.xml
Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

<!--
Please see the license.html file included with this distribution for
attribution and copyright information.
-->

<root version="3.0" release="3">
<properties>
<name>FG Con SciFi Theme</name>
<version>3</version>

<author>Damned</author>
<description>FG Con SciFi Theme</description>

<ruleset>
<name>CoreRPG</name>
</ruleset>
<ruleset>
<name>Numenera</name>
</ruleset>
</properties>

<base>
<includefile source="graphics/graphics_frames.xml" />
</base>
</root>

graphics_frames.xml
Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

<!--
Please see the license.html file included with this distribution for
attribution and copyright information.
-->

<root>
<!-- Desktop background -->
<framedef name="desktop">
<bitmap file="graphics/frames/scifi2048.jpg" />
<middle rect="0,0,2048,1080" />
</framedef>

</root>

My image is 2048x1080px and has been saved as about 65% jpg. I fade the edges to a solid colour in all directions so that it will tile.

Lots of samples to choose from here:
https://www.fg-con.com/free-downloads/

Wolfheart
May 1st, 2015, 16:26
Does this mean that if I have a 2048x2048 image as Background it will "fill" the screen (instead of tiling)? I just want a simple logo in the approximate middle.

Moon Wizard
May 1st, 2015, 17:34
The frame assets (including the desktop frame) are actually defined to be slices of a graphic used to tile in order to fill the available space, whatever the current desktop size actually is.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/framedef.xcp

A couple notes:
* You can build a desktop with a centered graphic using the decal tag within a frame definition.
* The latest CoreRPG release contains a background decal option built in, that allows the GM to turn the decal on or off, as well as be able to add more decals via extensions.

Regards,
JPG

Wolfheart
May 1st, 2015, 21:53
The frame assets (including the desktop frame) are actually defined to be slices of a graphic used to tile in order to fill the available space, whatever the current desktop size actually is.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/framedef.xcp

A couple notes:
* You can build a desktop with a centered graphic using the decal tag within a frame definition.
* The latest CoreRPG release contains a background decal option built in, that allows the GM to turn the decal on or off, as well as be able to add more decals via extensions.

Regards,
JPG

Hello Moon Wizard and thank you for the reply, I'm afraid I need to learn more before I can even begin to comprehend what "within a frame definition" means, lol. No worries though, I'll get there. Maybe. Some day :)

damned
May 1st, 2015, 23:38
Does this mean that if I have a 2048x2048 image as Background it will "fill" the screen (instead of tiling)? I just want a simple logo in the approximate middle.

When I wrote the above the Decal Extension wasnt available.
As Moon_Wizard says and as the
(new note added to this note! - use the decal extension instead of using decals in the background image)
says - use the Decal extension if you just want a logo.
Unzip the attachment - open up the \graphics\decals folder and insert your graphic file here. be mindful of the size of the file. you might even get rid of the files taht are in there.
edit the \extension.xml file
look for these lines -

OptionsManager.addOptionValue("DDCL", "option_val_DDCL_custom1", "desktopdecal_custom1", true);
OptionsManager.addOptionValue("DDCL", "option_val_DDCL_custom3", "desktopdecal_custom3", true);

<string name="option_val_DDCL_custom1">SXG Colour 1</string>
<string name="option_val_DDCL_custom3">SXG BW 1</string>

<icon name="desktopdecal_custom1" file="graphics/decals/sxg-colour-decal.png" />
<icon name="desktopdecal_custom3" file="graphics/decals/sxg-bw-decal.png" />

if you replaced the SXG images in there you need to put the new file names in the third section of code, and update the string description in the second part of the code.
if you are adding extra images start with the third section, dupe the existing lines, and make sure you specify a new unique name and the new image
then duplicate the second section and give them new names and new string descriptions
then dupe the first section and use the values from section 2 in part 2, section 3 in part 3.

put the extension in your extension folder - you can either place it like this:

%appdata%\fantasy grounds\extensions\SXGCustomDecal\+all your files
or you can zip up the contents of that directory (but not the root directory itself) and rename the file to something .zip and place the new file like this:
%appdata%\fantasy grounds\extensions\MyCustomDecal.ext

If you didnt change the name it will show up as SXG Custom Desktop Decal
You need to select it on loading your campaign and you will find the extra options inside your Campaign options settings

GBE300
May 23rd, 2015, 09:04
Hi All,

I'm building a campaign for 5E and I'm having some issues following the information above. My main goal is to adjust the background image of the desktop within the "5E Theme - Wizards" but I can not find this in my extensions folder. All I see here is 3 which I cant see in the campaign launcher (fate-BlankSkills.ext, Theme_Dungeons.ext, and Theme_Wodd.ext).

So I have two questions. First are there any themes specifically for 5E which I can download (not found any that are clearly for 5e and not older versions or rulesets)? Second can I use the wizards theme from above but change to a custome desktop.png image?

I'm not a coder, but I can follow a guide... I have tried to use a custom ruleset and change the images in it (keeping the correct names) but then that ruleset was never available in the Launcher ? Trying to do this as a theme so I dont have to worry about updating or other issues. Cheers.

Mask_of_winter
May 23rd, 2015, 09:07
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24251-Would-you-like-to-make-a-custom-skin-extension-for-Fantasy-Grounds

damned
May 23rd, 2015, 09:09

damned
May 23rd, 2015, 09:10

ninja'd.
again.

damned
May 23rd, 2015, 09:13
in fact just look at posts 4 and 8 above... they tell you exactly how to do it...

GBE300
May 23rd, 2015, 09:13
I like the look of the MoreCore Extension, but its listed as a CoreRPG... can this be used in a 5E game ? Also I have looked at the thread linked and the Youtube video, but again it does not seem to answer my question unless I'm missing something ? Thanks for any help and the replies so far.

Mask_of_winter
May 23rd, 2015, 09:21
The youtube video I posted will tell you exactly how to change the look of your 5e ruleset even though it was made using CoreRpg. 5e is a layer on top of CoreRpg. I know it's 40mins long but if you stick with it I'm sure you'll understand.

GBE300
May 23rd, 2015, 09:37
Thanks Mask, I will set some time aside tomorrow to do this then. I will also be trying to follow Damned's guide and see if I get that to work on the Wizards theme. I don't mean to sound like an *** or ungrateful but I didn't get a clear answer on my previous questions (although you have given me some options to try otherwise)...

Are there any themes specifically for 5E which I can download (besides ones listed on FG-con)?

Second can I use the 5E wizards theme from above but change to a custom desktop.png image? (ie adjust the current background by accessing the theme's data or by adding a new extention that overwrites it like with Damned's guide in post 4 above... not sure how this would work when the wizards theme and another extension are selected?)

Again thanks for helping a noob!

Mask_of_winter
May 23rd, 2015, 09:41
As far as I know the wizards' theme is the only openly available theme extension.

Yes you can change the 5e wizards theme's desktop.png image. I recommend making a copy of it first. And then you only need to enable YOUR extension. You don't need to have both.

GBE300
May 23rd, 2015, 09:48
Thanks Mask, Problem is I can't find the wizards theme in the data/extensions folder ? I like all the buttons for it, just want to change the BG image for it and keep the rest. So looking for the easiest route.

Mask_of_winter
May 23rd, 2015, 09:51
It might have been locked away in the vault.
Just take one of Damned's extension, strip it of all images and extension.xml code line you don't need and change the desktop.png in that one. Then you can enable both. I haven't tried it but it might work.

damned
May 23rd, 2015, 10:02
download the Horde theme - here is the direct link.
https://www.fg-con.com/FGThemes/FGHorde.ext

When you are ready crack it open using all the info you have been given above and remove my custom Icons.
Below screenshot is Horde + 5e.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/hord5e.jpg

Stop over complicating it and give it a try.

GBE300
May 23rd, 2015, 10:14
That helped ! I've been playing with it and I think I had two issues, now both solved! I think the way I was re-archiving (zipping) the file was breaking something. Also the extensions I was trying to change had the wrong "code" / position info as I was switching to a single full sized image, the horde file gave me the right code to use. Thanks for all the help and sorry for being dense! Got it going cheers guys!

Trenloe
May 26th, 2015, 20:05
If you just want to change the centre graphic, make a custom decal that you can select through the campaign options. Details here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23617-Test-release-v3-0-12&p=205072&viewfull=1#post205072

damned
May 27th, 2015, 03:50
https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Mask_Decal_Class.pdf

jreddin1
June 16th, 2015, 18:26
I have a really simple Theme that I wrote. PM me your e-mail address and I can send it to you. You can then unzip it and see how it works. It's not hard. One warning - I haven't replaced some of the PNGs with JPGs, so it's a bit bigger than it needs to be.