PDA

View Full Version : regarding map packs.

Diceman
April 30th, 2015, 12:19
Greetings,
Still very new to FGs. I was looking through the available map packs and token packs and I had a few questions.

1) with the map packs that feature multiple tiles, and also composites of tiles in the pack, can you create your own composite maps using the individual tiles included in that pack?

2) is it possible to convert maps featured in .pdf files to work with FGs?

3) I own several of the fiery dragon and precis intermedia paper miniature .pdf files. Can they be used to create portraits and tokens?

My plan is to purchase the 5E character packs and monster packs, then run the lost mines of phandelver campaign before/while I work to recreate my epic table top campaign into FG's. So I am trying to figure out the best way to balance between using pre-made material and creating my own material without breaking the bank. I don't have nearly the time I would like to load everything into FG's by hand so I am open to finding generic material to speed up my work.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Diceman

Dracones
April 30th, 2015, 14:57
It is possible to extract the maps from PDF files and use those in FG. I'm on Linux so I use a command line tool called pdfimages which extracts them, but if you're on Windows I'm sure there are tools out there to copy the images from PDF files into jpegs.

Portraits are pretty much just small square images. So you just need an image editor where you can crop/resize the portrait down to the proper size and put in in the FG portraits directory. For tokens look at a tool called TokenTool (https://www.rptools.net/toolbox/token-tool/) This will let you create your own custom tokens and it's pretty easy to work with.

damned
May 1st, 2015, 06:57
Hey Diceman!

Extract Images using NitroPDF or even just using the SNIPPING tool in Windows.
Are you using Voice?
Dont Input EVERYTHING in FG if you are.

Priority -
NPCs
Maps
Encounters

Then if you have time -
Key room descriptions

Then you can do anything else you think you might need.
For the rest just do it by Voice as you would around the table.

Sometimes I will grab an image like this: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/character-portrait-thumbnails-for-an-rpg
and chop it up and then I have another 20+ portraits. of course these are not for redistribution without artists consent.