PDA

View Full Version : cant seems to open port 1802

LordSerpentus
April 29th, 2015, 17:06
i have port forwarded 1802 to this reserved IP on my router. i even gave my router special application rules as well. nothing seems to work, i'm trying to learn to use fantasy grounds and just subscribed but its not working.

ddavison
April 29th, 2015, 17:13
Hey LordSerpentus,

Shoot an email to me at [email protected] and I can hop on a Skype or Google hangouts session to help you out.

-Doug

Nylanfs
April 29th, 2015, 20:03
Check the firewall on your computer also.

Trenloe
April 29th, 2015, 20:07
i'm trying to learn to use fantasy grounds and just subscribed but its not working.
Just as an FYI - you can learn Fantasy Grounds without having port 1802 open. Connection on port 1802 is only needed when you are going to be a GM and you need players to connect to you. You can even run another instance of FG on the same computer as the GM instance and "Join Game" using a server address of localhost - this is invaluable for new GMs to enable you to see what the players see (which is different from what the GM sees - especially the combat tracker).

Obviously, in the long run you'll need to get the connection on port 1802 working (unless you never intend to be a GM), but it won't stop you firing up FG and playing around to learn the product.

Niven81
May 2nd, 2015, 02:55
This is a problem I've been seeing a lot lately, hell even I'm having a problem now and I never did before.

damned
May 2nd, 2015, 04:03
make sure you havent got FG running on another PC in the house and then reboot your router Niven81.

Niven81
May 5th, 2015, 14:43
Thanks. Only PC in the house with FG installed so, safe on that front at least.

my01cobra
August 11th, 2015, 23:20
We are having this issue as well. The GM and I are in the same house, using the same server. His IP address is reserved and set up with the port forwarding to 1802 and I am unable to connect to him. Are we doing something wrong?

ddavison
August 11th, 2015, 23:31
If you are connecting from inside the same house, don't use the alias system. Instead, simply enter the local IP address of the host for your connection.

my01cobra
August 11th, 2015, 23:49
We've tried that too. We just connected his computer via cable. He has been attempting to run a test campaign but it keeps coming up as a failure. I'm in the process of deleting the program from my computer completely and will reinstall. He has purchased the ultimate license so we can play with our friends. Do I also need to purchases a license in order to play with him?

MadBadHare
August 11th, 2015, 23:58
We've tried that too. We just connected his computer via cable. He has been attempting to run a test campaign but it keeps coming up as a failure. I'm in the process of deleting the program from my computer completely and will reinstall. He has purchased the ultimate license so we can play with our friends. Do I also need to purchases a license in order to play with him?

Nope - Any license can connect to an Ultimate license. :) which includes the Free/Demo license.

my01cobra
August 12th, 2015, 00:08
Okay, now I'm at a complete loss on what to do next. We just can't seem to connect. Our modem/router is a single unit and port forwarding seems pretty simple. I'm hoping the screenshot comes through of what the modem/router settings are. Is this what the setting should be?

Moon Wizard
August 12th, 2015, 00:32
If you are really on the same local network, you do not need port forwarding and any router configuration is unneeded

What are the IP addresses reported by Fantasy Grounds on the launcher screen after you select Load Campaign button for both GM and player machines? (This can verify whether you are on same LAN or if there is some sort of wireless router in between.)

The player instance should just be using the internal IP address of GM instance if on same LAN. Using the external IP address or alias will not work.

Regards,
JPG

my01cobra
August 12th, 2015, 00:45
My IP address is 10.0.0.2 and his (GM) is 10.0.0.4

Moon Wizard
August 12th, 2015, 01:02
If you are entering 10.0.0.4 as the host name on your machine and it does not connect, it probably means that a firewall on either your machine or GM machine (or both) is blocking network access.

You can try checking Windows Firewall settings (as well as any third party firewalls, such as Avast or McAfee).

The GM can also try connecting with a second instance of FG to "localhost" to test network access on their machine.

Regards,
JPG

my01cobra
August 12th, 2015, 03:03
At this point, we have both turned off all firewalls both windows and third party. He still hasn't been able to run a successful test and I get this (image) when I try to connect to him.

Nylanfs
August 12th, 2015, 03:41
No, Is he running a firewall on his computer? If so double check and make sure that FG is allowed through it.

Trenloe
August 12th, 2015, 05:35
At this point, we have both turned off all firewalls both windows and third party. He still hasn't been able to run a successful test and I get this (image) when I try to connect to him.
To confirm - when you try to "Join Game", the GM has their campaign fully loaded? i.e. they've selected a campaign from the "Load Campaign" screen, pressed the "Start" button and Fantasy Grounds has fully loaded to the FG desktop? (Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I have to get this out of the way first).

my01cobra
August 13th, 2015, 05:25
We were able to get it all figured out. We basically uninstalled all antivirus/firewall programs from each commuter and made sure the 1802 port was open on both computers just to be safe and we were able to connect.
Thanks for all your help!!

ddavison
August 13th, 2015, 15:15
To be clear, we don't recommend anyone ever run without antivirus or to shut off their firewall completely. What was the brand of the A/V? It is possible that it was blocking access, but the best route would be to unblock it through the A/V and firewall you have running.