PDA

View Full Version : 5e Magic Items

Niles
April 28th, 2015, 20:16
Are the 5e magic items the same as the magic items in 3.5? Has anyone made a magic item module for 5e? Seems this would be one of the more important things to include from the DMG. Any word on when the DMG will be available? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Mike

Larac
April 28th, 2015, 20:33
I have been adding to one as I go.

Right now I am building a txt file to use parse to bring them into FG.

The format for Magic Items is really easy, then add it to a custom module.

Many 3.5 items work in 5e with no issues others are fiddly.
But it is a start.

I think if the ones I do are all from the SRD it is legal but these days it is hard to tell.

Too many Corp. Stooges and back yard lawyers who give them power around.

Copyrighting common words and suing folks for using tech.

Just saying they can be used in 5e will most likely get a C&D these days.

Larac
April 28th, 2015, 21:43
Like this,

+1 Armor
Armor
The most basic form of magic armor is a superb product of physical and magical craft.
You have a +1 bonus to your Armor Class while wearing this armor.
A suit of +1 armor never rusts or deteriorates, and it magically resizes to fit its
wearer.

+1 Weapon
Weapon
Magic weapons are unmistakably finer in quality than their ordinary counterparts. You
have a +1 bonus to the attack rolls and damage rolls you make with this weapon.
Some +1 weapons (swords in particular) have additional properties, such as shedding light.

Bag of Holding
Wondrous item, uncommon
This cloth sack has an interior space considerably larger than its outside dimensions,
roughly 2 feet in diameter at the mouth and 4 feet deep. The bag can hold up to 500
pounds, not exceeding a volume of 64 cubic feet. The bag weighs 15 pounds, regardless of
its contents.
Placing an object in the bag follows the normal rules for interacting with objects.
Retrieving an item from the bag requires you to use an action.
The bag has a few limitations. If the bag is overloaded, or if a sharp object pierces it
or tears it, the bag ruptures and is destroyed. If the bag is destroyed, its contents
are lost forever, although an artifact always turns up again somewhere. If the bag is
turned inside out, its contents spill forth, unharmed, but the bag must be put right
before it can be used again. If a breathing creature is placed within the bag, the
creature can survive for up to 10 minutes, after which time that creature begins to
suffocate.
Placing a bag of holding inside a portable hole opens a momentary gate to the Astral
Plane. Any creature within a 10-foot radius of the gate is drawn to the Astral Plane,
the gate closes, and the portable hole and bag of holding are both destroyed.
If a portable hole is placed into a bag of holding, a similar gate appears, but it leads
to a random plane of existence.

Through Parse puts these into FG under the Module Name, then under Magic items.
Each category is then shown Armor, Weapons and so on.

Now I still need to then make the non id, text and other things but it gets the base in quickly.

Zacchaeus
April 28th, 2015, 22:25
Magic items will, of course, be in the DMG when it is released which should be shortly I believe. I can't honestly remember all the magic items from 3.5 but there are many similarities. What you would have to bear in mind is that 5e's 'bounded accuracy' concept might not suit a direct port of magic items from another system which doesn't use bounded accuracy, so you might overbalance things a bit if you used the 3.5 ones indiscriminately.

Any mod made of the 5e magic items would not be distributable for copyright reasons. You can as Larac says par5e them from the DMG if you have a paper copy of that book, but only for personal use.

Larac
April 29th, 2015, 21:38
Is there a way to use the Magic Items Modules for 3 3.5 in my 5e FG?

I have written up a few of my custom items then Par5ed them in.

But if I could us the older stuff then mod it for 5e would be nice.

I suspect that the formats will cause havoc, but figured I would ask.

Just finished about 40 items.

I find Par5e as the quickest way to enter data into FG atm.

Trenloe
April 29th, 2015, 21:44
Is there a way to use the Magic Items Modules for 3 3.5 in my 5e FG?
Change the <ruleset> tag in definition.xml to 5E (capital E), this will allow you to activate the module in a 5E campaign.

I suspect that the formats will cause havoc, but figured I would ask.
Probably. Give it a go and find out! :o

Niles
May 1st, 2015, 00:44
Trenloe, I've never tried to do that. Where do you find the definition.xml?

Trenloe
May 1st, 2015, 05:12
Trenloe, I've never tried to do that. Where do you find the definition.xml?
The modules files (.mod extension) are just ZIP files renamed from <module name>.zip to <module name.mod> - so you can rename your .mod file to .zip and extract the files for viewing/editing.

When you come to recreate your module, zip back up all of the files (from within the directory where all of the definition.xml, db.xml, etc. files are - select all of these files and zip the up), then rename the resulting .zip to .mod and copy to your <FG App Data>\modules directory. Use ZIP compression, not RAR or 7z or similar.

Make sure you use an editor that can verify XML syntax - because if you don't have XML syntax correct then the modules won't be available or will raise errors when opening. Notepad++ (https://notepad-plus-plus.org/) with the XML plugin activated is a good (free) editor that a lot of people on these forums use for editing FG XML.

Xorn
May 1st, 2015, 14:00
I would take Larac's advice and just use PAR5E to make a magic item module; watch my PAR5E tutorials if it will help, but the Magic Items section of PAR5E is about as easy as it gets. Larac literally just posted the whole format. :)

My only snag with PAR5E is there is no place to put non-ID'd information. Normally I just drag and drop a magic item from my module into my campaign items, then adjust the non-ID'd fields (if I'm going to use them).

jajen2003
September 4th, 2015, 03:25
Can we put tables into the magic items we create via PAR5E?

Zacchaeus
September 4th, 2015, 12:39
Yes, you can include tables using par5e in anything.

Karykzen
September 4th, 2015, 15:07
Only Issue I found with magic items after PAR5E-ing them into FG is the generic ones like +1 Armor, and +1 Weapons. You can't simply drag on drop those. While not brain science, if you as the DM want to award Chain +1, or a Mace +2, then you have to create those within Fantasy grounds before adding them to a treasure parcel.

Like this,

+1 Armor
Armor
The most basic form of magic armor is a superb product of physical and magical craft.
You have a +1 bonus to your Armor Class while wearing this armor.
A suit of +1 armor never rusts or deteriorates, and it magically resizes to fit its
wearer.

+1 Weapon
Weapon
Magic weapons are unmistakably finer in quality than their ordinary counterparts. You
have a +1 bonus to the attack rolls and damage rolls you make with this weapon.
Some +1 weapons (swords in particular) have additional properties, such as shedding light.

Bag of Holding
Wondrous item, uncommon
This cloth sack has an interior space considerably larger than its outside dimensions,
roughly 2 feet in diameter at the mouth and 4 feet deep. The bag can hold up to 500
pounds, not exceeding a volume of 64 cubic feet. The bag weighs 15 pounds, regardless of
its contents.
Placing an object in the bag follows the normal rules for interacting with objects.
Retrieving an item from the bag requires you to use an action.
The bag has a few limitations. If the bag is overloaded, or if a sharp object pierces it
or tears it, the bag ruptures and is destroyed. If the bag is destroyed, its contents
are lost forever, although an artifact always turns up again somewhere. If the bag is
turned inside out, its contents spill forth, unharmed, but the bag must be put right
before it can be used again. If a breathing creature is placed within the bag, the
creature can survive for up to 10 minutes, after which time that creature begins to
suffocate.
Placing a bag of holding inside a portable hole opens a momentary gate to the Astral
Plane. Any creature within a 10-foot radius of the gate is drawn to the Astral Plane,
the gate closes, and the portable hole and bag of holding are both destroyed.
If a portable hole is placed into a bag of holding, a similar gate appears, but it leads
to a random plane of existence.

Through Parse puts these into FG under the Module Name, then under Magic items.
Each category is then shown Armor, Weapons and so on.

Now I still need to then make the non id, text and other things but it gets the base in quickly.