PDA

View Full Version : Using class packs

Aabreus
April 28th, 2015, 03:51
So I was thinking of running a campaign using this, but I want to test beforehand. Basically, I purchased the gm monthly subscription and a class pack (in this case cleric) and I want to know if there is a way to generate characters similar to the character builder wizards released for 4e. does anyone know if this is possible or is it a generic build your character from scratch kind of thing?

Trenloe
April 28th, 2015, 05:30
This video might help give you a good overview of the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nurEMR4JJeU

Griogre
April 28th, 2015, 06:15
It's more a general build from scratch were you can drag and drop large amounts of data at once if you have a pack, but you still need to know how to actually build a character. It might have been better to try out 5E in FG by buying the basic rules pack for $3 because it has four classes and races as well as some background customization. It's a shallow pack that has bits of things from a the wizard, rogue, cleric and fighter packs, and bits from the customization pack so it gives you a better overall feel but you cleric pack would have more options for building different clerics. The cleric pack has all the domains and builds for clerics in the PH but nothing else, I think. The basic pack just has a life domain cleric but it also has the races and backgrounds found in the free basic rules. You can uses the information from either pack when building a character - or you could just simply add in everything by hand.

Entering things by hand is fairly easy except for spells which if you put in the entire spell description can be a bit of typing.

Aabreus
April 28th, 2015, 06:18
I got the generic feel of what it was, Unfortunately it doesn't fit what we need for our play. Most of us are parents and so can't spend the time gethering all the information to create from scratch which was why I was investigating this. I appreciate the answers though folks.

Griogre
April 28th, 2015, 07:20
I don't want to over or under sell FG, but VTTs are very good, in general, for parents. I don't know if you already use one or not but the not having to travel, don't need a babysitter, able to play on a week night when the kids have gone to bed is big. As is the being able to stop at the end of a session and the next session have everything exactly the way it was at the end are huge time savers.

Circling back to 5E character gen if you know your character stats, background, race and class it is very fast to build a character but the FG character sheet is like a paper sheet in that if someone picks Magic Missile as a cleric spell when they shouldn't there is nothing build in to stop it.

Out of curiosity, if you like the 4E character builder from DDI - why don't you play 4E and import your DDI characters into FG? The FG 4E ruleset is very good.

damned
April 28th, 2015, 08:09
I don't want to over or under sell FG, but VTTs are very good, in general, for parents. I don't know if you already use one or not but the not having to travel, don't need a babysitter, able to play on a week night when the kids have gone to bed is big. As is the being able to stop at the end of a session and the next session have everything exactly the way it was at the end are huge time savers.

Circling back to 5E character gen if you know your character stats, background, race and class it is very fast to build a character but the FG character sheet is like a paper sheet in that if someone picks Magic Missile as a cleric spell when they shouldn't there is nothing build in to stop it.

Out of curiosity, if you like the 4E character builder from DDI - why don't you play 4E and import your DDI characters into FG? The FG 4E ruleset is very good.

Im a parent of kids under 10. I could not have started RPGing again without a VTT.
This is not a character builder - and that has advantages as well as disadvantages. Its hard to house rule when your system wont let you step out of line.
The 4E ruleset along with the DDI module builder... is a very good ruleset.