PDA

View Full Version : PFS #3-19 The Icebound Outpost, Friday 1 May, 1900 GMT/UTC

cmdisc
April 27th, 2015, 07:43
The calendar can be found here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1403

Those that sign up on the discussion thread here get priority over those that just sign up on the calendar. So please do both so I can better track interest. I know there are some GMs still getting Chronicles out from the recent CON, but if you have the latest one for your character, please send it to me along with your character's XML. After the session, I will be providing a fillable pre-chronicle to folks that don't have one. If you need your Chronicle for this back ASAP after the session, then let me know.

cmdisc
April 27th, 2015, 07:51
A small note of interest for those that played through "The Quest for Perfection" series, either with me or another GM, there is a slight nod to that storyline in this adventure. :)

kwarner1986
April 27th, 2015, 08:04
I'm game for this one, but I've got the following character I can bring.

Evelyn - Level 2 - Ice Sorceress
Archer - Level 2 - Longbow Fighter
Victoria - Level 2 - Wizard know it all

xazil
April 27th, 2015, 08:15
I'll come along too. I have a spread of characters. My level 4 samurai tank for upper tier or something we for lower

Farnaby
April 27th, 2015, 08:43
I'm in, no adventure in Vudra should go without a Vudrani.

I offer

Tarani, a lvl 2 fire wizard
Rashmi, a lvl 3 combat druid
Nenna, a lvl 3 debuffing witch
Cassilda, a lvl 1 investigator

May the Meerkats be ever in your favour.

Victor
April 27th, 2015, 09:33
I'm in.

cmdisc
April 27th, 2015, 17:31
Excellent (and quick) responses so far. There seems to be some making for a lower tier run unless those with lower level PCs feel like pushing the envelope and making a try for the out-of-tier gold.

And could I be mistaken? But Archer sounds like the name of a male character. Kyle, care to explain? :p

kwarner1986
April 27th, 2015, 18:10
Archer is a she. Her portrait does somewhat appear to be man-ish. She earned that nickname for her exceptional archery skills. Her real full name is Artoria Skylord.

Now if you were to make this a core run, I'll be playing my male character! Meet Arnold Cobblestone!

cmdisc
April 27th, 2015, 19:00
Alas I can't run this as core as the credit will be going to my dual-cursed oracle (with a dip into cross-blooded sorcerer) debuffer/reroll build.

Victor
April 27th, 2015, 19:29
And could I be mistaken? But Archer sounds like the name of a male character. Kyle, care to explain? :p

LOL, I think it's because he was raised in a country with loose morals that does not require by law names clearly denote gender. :)
You can call me Sally.

HoloGnome
April 27th, 2015, 19:38
I'm in - should be home in time. My preference is for subtier 4-5 and will bring Axxis (Level 5, now, I think). I could bring a 2nd level, however, if required (Bluebeard), but I would have to work on him before he can play and don't really have time ATM.

Farnaby
April 27th, 2015, 22:08
I'm willing to risk my lvl 3 witch in a higher tier.

cmdisc
April 27th, 2015, 22:22
I'm going to reserve the last spot for a friend of mine and give him first crack at it. But others can line up if they wish. If I don't hear back from him in a few days, I'll release the slot.

Victor
April 28th, 2015, 05:25
I can bring Bramble Level 2 Ranger, or Daget Level 4 Sorcerer.

cmdisc
April 28th, 2015, 10:04
Ok. I have 1 vote preferring low and 1 for high, with the other 3 being able/willing to swing either way.

Thus far for lower tier we are looking at:
Sorcerer or Wizard or archer 2
Druid or Witch 3 (or something else)
Ranger 2
Something from Xazil
Bluebeard 2 (class?)

And for higher tier:
Samurai 4
Witch 3
Sorcerer 4
Axxis 5 (class?)

Kyle, are you willing to run one of your 2nd levels through a 4-5? The payoff is sitting at over 1200 for those playing out-of-tier if that makes a difference to you. But if you think it's too much of a gamble, then we either go lower tier, get you a 4th level pregen, or have you sit this one out.

Personally, I'm fine with either way the group wants to go. I have yet to hear back from d1wright who I'm holding the 6th spot for, so we'll see if that makes a difference.

xazil
April 28th, 2015, 11:52
I would probably prefer my samurai as he has been through the Shades of Ice and is kind of used to the cold now. :D. HG's Axxis is a druid.

KevenSimmons
April 28th, 2015, 11:59
Looks like a full table already, but put me on the waiting list in the event someone has to bow out.

cmdisc
April 28th, 2015, 12:07
Looks like a full table already, but put me on the waiting list in the event someone has to bow out.

Sure thing. If Dave doesn't nab the spot by Thurs night, it's yours. What characters do you have available for this?

Farnaby
April 28th, 2015, 12:09
Ok. I have 1 vote preferring low and 1 for high, with the other 3 being able/willing to swing either way.

Thus far for lower tier we are looking at:
Sorcerer or Wizard or archer 2
Druid or Witch 3 (or something else)
Ranger 2
Something from Xazil
Bluebeard 2 (class?)

FYI, for lower tier, I'd use my Investigator 1 or Fire Wizard 2, not the Witch or Druid.

HoloGnome
April 28th, 2015, 15:24
Kyle doesn't need to run a 2nd level - he has Diana who is level 4 or 5, I think. Bluebeard is a drunken barbarian, but I really don't have time to fix him. He is at the level 1-2 boundary and I need to look at his overall character concept. I would end up playing a pregen (Amiri, I guess) and just apply the credit to a new 1st level. But, it seems like maybe everyone can play the upper subtier without any issues, assuming everyone agrees.

Axxis is Wizard/3, Druid/2 + Companion.

cmdisc
April 28th, 2015, 19:42
Ok Keven, Dave has declined so you're in.

KevenSimmons
April 28th, 2015, 21:52
Great, thanks for the opportunity. Sounds like we're leaning into the higher tier, so I'd be bringing a Pal 3, or Witch 6 - whichever rounds out the group better.

Farnaby
April 28th, 2015, 22:26
Okay, here's Nenna Witch 4:

cmdisc
April 29th, 2015, 14:10
Great, thanks for the opportunity. Sounds like we're leaning into the higher tier, so I'd be bringing a Pal 3, or Witch 6 - whichever rounds out the group better.

Will need to be your Pali, as this is a 1-5 level scenario and your Witch is overqualified. :)

kwarner1986
April 29th, 2015, 15:54
I don't want to use Diana, because she's getting the Pirates credit from Hawkwing.

I'll be willing to gamble my level 2 character seeing how they are all range and we have some frontliners. My concern is getting one-shot. Evelyn is definitely out for this session, it would not be wise to bring an Ice Mage to a place with ICE in the title.

That just leaves Victoria or Archer. Looking at the party makeup we could use both of them, but can only have one.

Archer would be the safest pick:
She uses a composite longbow and can fire twice in a round. Each arrow can do 7-15 damage. She has a variety of arrows: piercing; blunt; blunt, silver; piercing, cold iron. She also carries a couple Oil of Bless Weapon. She has 19 AC, 14 Touch, 15 FF, and 18 HP. She can also spot enemies and track, but I think HG has that covered with his druid.

Victoria is mostly likely the best option for the group, but the biggest risk of being one-shot:
She brings great utility to the party that seems to need it. She can easily figure out any magic items that party gathers, her Spellcraft Take 10 is 22. She has every knowledge in the game. The lowest is 7 and the highest is 12. The spells she would prepare this party would be: Silent Image, Color Spray, Vanish, Enlarge Person, and Mage Armor. She also carries the following Wands: Burning Hands, Cause Fear, Heightened Awareness, and CLW. I'm also planning to buy a shield wand for her as well.
If prepared she has 23 AC, 15 Touch, 18 FF, but only 10 HP.

With that being said, I'll post both characters and if the players have any thoughts on who should I bring feel free to express your concerns, and if a certain GM wants to tell me bringing Victoria is hazardous to my health, I will take his high recommendation.

kwarner1986
April 29th, 2015, 15:58
And Archer

cmdisc
April 29th, 2015, 16:19
20pts of damage will outright kill Victoria. Archer would need 30 to do the same job. 20pts done in one shot would be difficult to reach outside of a critical for just about any scenario of 1-5 level range. 30pts would be even harder to achieve in a single shot or attack series. But crits can and do happen (ask Skellan how that went playing Reta Bigbad in 'We Be Goblins Too!'). So there is always a risk. Obviously the way to minimize that is to stay out of reach or behind cover so that you're not getting targeted and don't go first if you think there might be traps, haunts, ambushes, etc.

Lastly if you do find yourself targeted, you always have the option to start praying. :)

HoloGnome
April 29th, 2015, 19:02
Kyle - you can't Take 10 when identifying items with Spellcraft + Detect Magic. Detect Magic requires concentration which counts as distraction that negates the ability to Take 10. Any times in our community where that has been allowed have actually been incorrect. Strange but true! ;)

cmdisc
April 29th, 2015, 22:24
I'm not so sure about that. The skill entry doesn't say anything about not being able to take 10. Plus the little bit of Paizo forum chat that I've seen seems to indicate the belief that you can do it. It would seem that the Spellcraft check is part of the Detect Magic spell as you concentrate. It isn't called out as a specific action type other than it requires 3 rounds to receive an answer. But then I haven't thought of it before in the way you're suggesting. Interesting....

Victor
April 30th, 2015, 00:12
Did a little looking and I have to agree with cmdisc. Also, I don't know if I have ever had any GM say I could NOT take 10 on a spellcraft with detect running. Altho just because most people do things one way for a long time does not make it right. Just easy.
I guess this is the wrong thread to discuss this also.

Victor
April 30th, 2015, 00:18
I think its pretty clear, this is under the description of how detect magic works.

3rd Round: The strength and location of each aura. If the items or creatures bearing the auras are in line of sight, you can make Knowledge (arcana) skill checks to determine the school of magic involved in each. (Make one check per aura: DC 15 + spell level, or 15 + 1/2 caster level for a nonspell effect.) If the aura emanates from a magic item, you can attempt to identify its properties (see Spellcraft).

Victor
April 30th, 2015, 01:04
High Tier it is! Here is Daget L4 Sorcerer

HoloGnome
April 30th, 2015, 01:29
Yes...you can make a spellcraft check in the round it becomes applicable (roll d20). You cannot Take 10. Concentrating on any spell counts as being distracted and the spell calls for a check (roll). The Take 10 rules should be clear (I think). Sorry can't explain more fully...typing on my phone. But if someone finds a ruling regarding detect magic and spellcraft, that would be interesting!

Victor
April 30th, 2015, 01:46
Did more reading and talking to xazil and yea, I totally see your point and agree it's a better way to do it. I could still see the other interpretation being used or the DM handwaving some simple items the party may need but the added mystery and challenge of the spellcraft roll is only a good thing. Save your thumbs.

HoloGnome
April 30th, 2015, 02:35
Yes...good and very appropriate in the context of identifying unknown magical items.

Here is the rules source:
Cannot Take 10 on Spellcraft While Using Detect Magic (https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2p5og?Archmage-Path-Powers-Questions#7)

KevenSimmons
April 30th, 2015, 04:42
Chagrek Pallgreaves; Pal 3

cmdisc
April 30th, 2015, 06:39
Yes...good and very appropriate in the context of identifying unknown magical items.

Here is the rules source:
Cannot Take 10 on Spellcraft While Using Detect Magic (https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2p5og?Archmage-Path-Powers-Questions#7)

Wow! And they couldn't be bothered to mention it in the Spellcraft section?

Nice find, HG!

Yet another rule that you have to dig for in order to understand. It seems like there are too many times the rules are obscure and understood only by putting different sections together piece by piece. Like 'personal' spells as potions or how Greater Trip works.

But that's a discussion for another thread. ;)

xazil
April 30th, 2015, 08:43
Here is Haplo and his trusty steed Swiftness.

I am purchasing a +1 enhancement to his armour and 2 Oils of Bless Weapon prior to start.

cmdisc
April 30th, 2015, 09:30
@ Victor The XML you sent me is of Daget at 3rd level. Not sure if you have a 4th level poking around or if you just need to update the one you sent me. Either is fine. If you don't have time before game day, I'll have the server up at least an hour before so you have time to hop in and adjust things as necessary.

@ Farnaby Unless I missed it somewhere, I need Nenna's latest Chronicle as soon as you're able to pass that along.

I have all characters loaded. APL is 3.66...rounded to 4 so we're definitely set for upper tier.

Attached is a fillable pre-chronicle for anyone who needs it. Send that back at your leisure after the session. If you need your Chronicle ASAP let me know and I can start prepping it beforehand so I can get it out after the session. Otherwise I'll probably take a few days to get them out and report the session.

HoloGnome
April 30th, 2015, 10:58
Yeah - it's a pain...but somewhat understandable from the standpoint of distraction. And, btw, the same thing applies to Detect Secret Doors - no Take 10 on any skills while using it since the spell requires concentration...and it gives unique value to Bard.

With Swiftness and Blood in this one, we should also discuss Animal Companions and initiative. The way it should work is that animal companions act on their own initiative. If the AC init is lower and the master wants to act in concert, then the master must delay and vice versa if AC init is higher, unless the master forgoes their actions in the round to delay upwards in the order (but loses an action). Otherwise, the AC is commanded as a free action on the master's turn and acts on their own initiative. In short, if you act in concert, you always want the AC to beat your init roll and it gives improved initiative value for ACs. The only auto-adjust without losing an action is downwards in the order. It also gives value to the AC having a standing order like Defend so that it can act without being commanded if it wins the init and hostile forces approach.

xazil
April 30th, 2015, 12:20
Actually there is a small difference - Swiftness is a mount most of the time. Mounted Combat Rules - "Your mount acts on your initiative count as you direct it." (CRB pg. 201)

HoloGnome
April 30th, 2015, 12:44
Yes - good point - mounts are slightly different. But when not acting as mounts, our ACs go on their own inits. My post was mostly about acting in concert for flanking, etc., since blood is not a mount. :D ...but he does make a bloody mountain out of his enemies. hehe.

Farnaby
April 30th, 2015, 13:01
Here's my last chronicle:

Victor
April 30th, 2015, 18:52
@ Victor The XML you sent me is of Daget at 3rd level. Not sure if you have a 4th level poking around or if you just need to update the one you sent me. Either is fine. If you don't have time before game day, I'll have the server up at least an hour before so you have time to hop in and adjust things as necessary.

Oops, will look at that and update it and get you the file today.

With Swiftness and Blood in this one...

Oh boy! An 8 player game! *smirk*

HoloGnome
April 30th, 2015, 18:57
Oh boy! An 8 player game! *smirk*

Yeah - not lookin' so good for the BBEG. :p

kwarner1986
April 30th, 2015, 18:59
Wow! And they couldn't be bothered to mention it in the Spellcraft section?

Also they have an FAQ! Put in there! Don't make player dig through hundreds of pages.

Victor
April 30th, 2015, 19:12
Also they have an FAQ! Put in there! Don't make player dig through hundreds of pages.

I thought that was part of the game. :) *snark*

cmdisc
April 30th, 2015, 21:20
For some, it is.

Victor
April 30th, 2015, 21:59
Daget's updated xml. I will still need to buy a couple of things beforehand as well but that can wait til we play. He has 2 level 2 spells listed but only can use one, I'll fix that too at gametime. cya then. :)

HoloGnome
May 1st, 2015, 04:08
Don't we have to dig through hundreds of pages to make the characters in the first place? Hopefully, some of these kinds of issues will eventually make it into the FAQ. That would be nice for all concerned.

Farnaby
May 1st, 2015, 12:56
I just noticed that I sent you the wrong xml file. That was one I was playing around with.
I've attached the correct one. Sorry about that.

Please note that I purchased a Headband of vast intelligence +2.
Also, because I have Vomit Swarm as a spell, please prepare a spider swarm. :D

cmdisc
May 1st, 2015, 16:41
K. Thanks. Got her loaded. Will need to prep a swarm for you. I'll be pulling the server up about an hour before game time.

cmdisc
May 1st, 2015, 19:03
Server is up. Post here or find me on TS if you have any issues.

Farnaby
May 2nd, 2015, 01:56
Here's Nenna's pre-chronicle.

Ignore the ignore day job roll please.
I get the faction goal of defeating the aspis consortium.

Cheers.

kwarner1986
May 2nd, 2015, 03:25
Thanks for the run through.
Archer gets the Silver Crusade Mission for letting a NPC go who could who had no way of escaping.

Here's Archer Pre-Cron.

cmdisc
May 2nd, 2015, 13:36
I would like to reverse the tables here and say thank you as GM to Players for running through this scenario with me. As the group came together, I was concerned that the party was so powerful and numerous (you all have great builds and we had 2 pets along too) that it was going to be a cake-walk and you were going to carve through every encounter that came your way. But that didn't quite happen. Several of my dice were hot that night which happened to give one or two of you pause and the way encounters unfolded kept you on the move (or actually quite stationary) and strategizing.

So all in all, I was worried it was going to be a boring slaughter-fest, but you made it fun by staying on your toes and out-maneuvering what came at you, in spite of some unlucky dice.

And for future note, Nenna, that is NOT the best way to trigger traps and haunts. Just sayin'...

HoloGnome
May 2nd, 2015, 14:06
Mnyahhh...you and your battleaxe crits. :p :D Famous last words: "I'm double-provoking." Hehe. That was another fun tapestry adventure! Good job and thanks for running it!

Farnaby
May 2nd, 2015, 19:26
That was fun. It was positively "puntastic".
Thanks for the game.

cmdisc
May 2nd, 2015, 21:02
Here are the first 2 Chronicles. Let me know if there need to be any changes.

I'll start the preliminaries on the others tonight and finish them up as pre-chronicles come in.

cmdisc
May 3rd, 2015, 09:52
Here are some of the others. Again let me know if I missed anything. Easy enough to change as I've kept the unsigned versions on record.

HoloGnome
May 3rd, 2015, 15:54
Thanks, cm! Looks good. Really enjoyed the adventure! :)

cmdisc
May 3rd, 2015, 20:21
Game is reported. Again any issues with the Chronicles, let me know.

Kyle, I have the basic info added into your Chronicle. Once you get back to me with the needed corrections, I should be able to turn it out to you quickly.

It was fun guys. Now onto the next one. Hmm....so many options.

cmdisc
May 4th, 2015, 08:45
Argh! This goes for not being very computer savvy. My Adobe updated and changed the interface. So refiguring things out, I see that I put "Comments" in as the text...which doesn't save as part of the form when I sign and save. So I'll need to redo the Chronicles since what I sent out still has changeable fields. Will get to them later today and repost. In the meantime, I've pulled off the ones I've posted so far.

Farnaby
May 4th, 2015, 09:53
Don't you just love computers?

It's the meerkats man, they get everywhere! :)

cmdisc
May 4th, 2015, 20:22
Ok. Here are the 5 corrected ones that I have info for.

Edit: pdf's removed

Farnaby
May 4th, 2015, 20:23
Thanks! Appreciate the work you put in.

kwarner1986
May 9th, 2015, 04:36
Finally fixed, I bought everything that should have been bought from the last three sessions. Surprising it's not as long of a list as I thought. Amazingly the Wand of Cure Light Wounds was never used until this session, so I can get away with you adding it this game. Sorry for dumping the list of items on you, I will make sure to do pre-chronicles in the future.

cmdisc
May 9th, 2015, 14:45
Here you go. Let me know if you need anything changed.

Edit: pdf removed.