PDA

View Full Version : Help with Token Please

HansKishel
April 26th, 2015, 20:26
I tried searching but did not find this....so sorry if I missed the obvious answer...

I can't figure out how to share the default tokens that came with FG with the players. I can get some that I downloaded and placed in the shared folder location to share but can't find the files for the default tokens that come with FG

help please.....I am sure this is something easy I am missing

Zacchaeus
April 26th, 2015, 21:14
I believe, but I'm prepared to be corrected on this, that only tokens in the shared folder can be shared with players. So if you want to share tokens make sure that they are in that folder. The ones which come with FG can't be put in that folder, so only ones that you have obtained elsewhere or have made yourself can got in there. Having said that you can assign any token that you own to a players character sheet once they join your game, so they don't really need to be shared.

Loucifer
April 26th, 2015, 21:25
Also, Portraits are not shared. even if you force the module to load, the players still do not get access.

Griogre
April 26th, 2015, 21:40
Players are suppose to bring their own Portraits for their characters so individual portraits are local to each machine. If you are the GM, after they connect to you, you can change their portraits to something on your local machine though.

HansKishel
April 27th, 2015, 00:05
Ok so the default tokens can't be shared, that would be why I could not....kind sucks but now I can stop trying to get it to work

Thanks all

Moon Wizard
April 27th, 2015, 01:45
Some GMs prefer to have full control over which tokens are available to the players, which is why there is a host and shared sub-directory under the tokens directory. This was the original design for Fantasy Grounds. Over time, tokens were added to modules, and since originally most modules were and still are GM modules, the behavior is that all module tokens are also host only.

As we have expanded our library of game systems and modules, we have been thinking about other strategies for sharing the smaller images (tokens and portraits), but it is a longer term design and implementation task.

Regards,
JPG

HansKishel
April 27th, 2015, 12:06
Some GMs prefer to have full control over which tokens are available to the players, which is why there is a host and shared sub-directory under the tokens directory. This was the original design for Fantasy Grounds. Over time, tokens were added to modules, and since originally most modules were and still are GM modules, the behavior is that all module tokens are also host only.

As we have expanded our library of game systems and modules, we have been thinking about other strategies for sharing the smaller images (tokens and portraits), but it is a longer term design and implementation task.

Regards,
JPG

I understand now why it is the way it is, and I can appreciate the logic behind it. I just wish I could get to the images of the characters and share them so the players could select their own token. They get all prickly when I make choices for them..:p

Moon Wizard
April 27th, 2015, 22:42
A workaround for sharing tokens to players is to open a map/image (even a blank one), then drop their token options on the map for them to review and then drag to their character sheet. It's a lot more work, but lets you give them choice.

I use this method to give them elemental tokens (which they then place on their hot key bar), which they can use to denote the various wall spells in D&D.

Regards,
JPG

HansKishel
April 28th, 2015, 02:59
Thanks Moon Wizard.

I had started to figure that out, but now I know it is the way to do it for the default tokens.

If I buy a token pack, I should be able to share that with the players, correct?

Trenloe
April 28th, 2015, 05:16
If I buy a token pack, I should be able to share that with the players, correct?
Nope. The same restrictions discussed above apply.

HansKishel
April 28th, 2015, 12:26
So if I buy the D&D 5e complete character pack and I am the DM, I can't share the character stuff with my players....? ie they would have to buy the pack(s) they wanted to use themselves?

damned
April 28th, 2015, 14:40
So if I buy the D&D 5e complete character pack and I am the DM, I can't share the character stuff with my players....? ie they would have to buy the pack(s) they wanted to use themselves?

while they are connected to you they can access all the material... except possibly the portraits and tokens (I cant test those right now but I belive they still wont share). they can read all the race and class and equipment and spells etc etc and can build character and drag stuff to char sheet etc.

Trenloe
April 28th, 2015, 15:21
My reply was specifically to your question asking about tokens. This thread is talking about players not getting access to the tokens in GMs modules (although the GM can assign a token to a player, just the players can't use the GMs tokens).

All the other library data (races, classes, spells, equipment, etc.) that the players use is based off what the GM has installed and has chosen to share with the players.

HansKishel
April 28th, 2015, 15:32
Ok

Thanks for the info. I will make a new post if I have other questions.