PDA

View Full Version : Locking the character sheet

VenomousFiligree
April 26th, 2015, 08:36
Once you have constructed the character sheet is there a way to lock the construction side and still allow entries to be edited? The other night I was playing End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse and found my players kept inadvertently creating new entries on the sheet.

damned
April 26th, 2015, 09:43
No. I dont believe you can.

Hector Trelane
April 26th, 2015, 13:34
I think designating certain PC sheet fields as editable only by the GM could be useful

Trenloe
April 26th, 2015, 17:06
It's been discussed before, but no one has added it to the wishlist. Perhaps one of you can do that: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

VenomousFiligree
April 26th, 2015, 18:00
I'm not convinced the wish list works, there's 14 pages of 'wishes', something like this will just get lost....

Trenloe
April 26th, 2015, 18:10
I'm not convinced the wish list works, there's 14 pages of 'wishes', something like this will just get lost....
The devs have stated many times that they regularly go through the wishlist and plan future updates based on the entries there.

There is a lot better chance of feature requests not getting lost on the wishlist than there is embedded in a forum post somewhere.

It's up to you - if you want some new piece of functionality, the official process is to add it to the wishlist.

Moon Wizard
April 26th, 2015, 19:50
Yes, the challenge is that there will always be more wish list items than time to build all of them. Additionally, I seeded the original wish list with all of the feature requests for the last 10 years, that was scattered over at least 3-4 forum threads not including those lost in individual threads. While we can't address them all, at least they're in one place and the community can voice which ones are more important.

Regards,
JPG

VenomousFiligree
April 26th, 2015, 19:55
I'm sure the devs do, but most of the community probably don't, so the small things aren't likely to get voted on (in my opinion).

I think the idea is sound, however the wishes have become too many (in my opinion) for it to work satisfactorily.

Moon Wizard
April 26th, 2015, 19:59
You'd be surprised at how useful it is. Often, when I'm planning to make changes to a system within FG, I'll come the wish list for related items, easy additions or top requests.

Another challenge we've had in terms of throughput on wish list items is that neither Unity nor official 5E support was on the list, but they are both necessary and big projects in their own right.

Cheers,
JPG

Hector Trelane
April 29th, 2015, 04:27
It's been discussed before, but no one has added it to the wishlist. Perhaps one of you can do that: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Just posted this idea (as I understand it). See here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=94148

Thanks to devs for your attention to this list.

Magnimost
January 9th, 2016, 11:54
Added my vote so my PCs don't "accidentally" bump up their income :P

Vishera
February 2nd, 2016, 22:27
Exactly. +1 as players tend to 'change their spells' because it doesn't fit their background etc. too bad, you picked it you got it.

Andraax
February 2nd, 2016, 22:55
I don't play with players I don't trust.

Jwguy
February 3rd, 2016, 15:40
I'll give it a bump, too, although I am largely of the same opinion as VenomousFiligree on the matter of the wishlist.

Andraax
February 3rd, 2016, 15:49
I'll give it a bump, too, although I am largely of the same opinion as VenomousFiligree on the matter of the wishlist.

I love when the new guys don't believe the main developer when he says he uses the wish list to plan future updates.

Jwguy
February 3rd, 2016, 15:55
I love when the new guys don't believe the main developer when he says he uses the wish list to plan future updates.

And I love when someone picks a fight with new guys despite not being all that old, themselves. =P

Trenloe
February 3rd, 2016, 16:24
The main developer has stated many times, including in this thread, that he frequently uses the wish list when planning new features/releases. If you at least want something considered then add it to the wish list and/or vote for it. If you don't believe the main FG developer then don't use the wish list and see your request float around in the ether. Personally, I believe Moon Wizard when he says he uses the wish list. Up to you, do what you want, but don't be surprised if a random thread amount 10's of thousands doesn't get picked up by the devs.

Jwguy
February 3rd, 2016, 16:43
Geez, it's like you can't even not have faith in something, around here. Almost like being a tiefling in a community made up entirely of paladins. :bandit:

Sorry, but there have been things kicking around at the top of that list and beyond it for such a long time that I don't feel obligated to keep faith in it, and from the reasons I've been made aware of, the insistence and rabid defense that this topic seems to bring doesn't help to convince me otherwise.

I mean, just as an example, the earliest record of vision being suggested was back in 2008? and its sat at the top of that wishlist for 3-4 years? There are other examples, too, but that's besides the point of this thread and I'm not trying to wound anyone, because I know how much work the devs do put in to keeping the program working. I've been contented with Fantasy Grounds and the content the team has rolled out; just don't try to shove peoples' heads in the dirt because they don't put any stock in the wishlist like you all seem to.

Trenloe
February 3rd, 2016, 17:03
You're not listening to what is being said. The primary place the devs use for looking at new features is the wish list. If you want the best chance of a feature request being implemented in future add it to the wish list.

Yes, some things stay there for a long time - because they may be too resource heavy/impossible to implement in the present architecture, or for other reasons the devs weigh against current and future development plans/priorities. But this doesn't mean that it gets forgotten. In your specific example: have you heard of the move to the Unity platform? Have heard of the acquisition of tabletop connect (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26242-SmiteWorks-is-growing!-We-have-acquired-Tabletop-Connect)? Both of these will allow some of the highly voted features from the wish list to be implemented. The Unity move has been on the table for a while and is progressing, and there was no point in implementing graphical heavy features in the current architecture with the unity move upcoming.

Anyway, the point that Andraax and I were trying to make is that some people in this thread appear to not believe what the main developer is telling you. I trust what the devs tell me, I don't think they're lying and that they do use the wish list. You can disbelieve and think you're being lied to and not use the wish list - your loss.

Jwguy
February 3rd, 2016, 18:04
And you're not really listening to what is being said, either, Trenloe.

No-one has accused the developers of lying, nor has anyone said they don't ever look at the wish-list in earnest. Not one person has suggested this, in this thread, whatsoever, from what I can see. Where you're getting this idea despite that is beyond me.

I made the tiniest comment about my views on the wishlist being largely the same as the original poster's (that it doesn't always work for some issues because things can easily get buried and that smaller, niche items get less votes) and then later elaborated after Andraax's rather spiteful comment that I just don't put a whole lot of faith in it, primarily because of how it tends to stagnate and how a lot of items just hardly ever seem do anything regardless of vote number or otherwise.

I don't see how that's a problem - even in your own words, you made mention about priorities and resources changing things up. I'm not complaining about that, but I don't see why I'm supposed to prostrate myself before the wishlist despite that. And yeah, I know about tabletop connect and unity and what have you. Great, those are some great examples. If the wishlist starts picking up steam after they're implemented, maybe my faith in it (as important as it seems to be, to some of you) will be restored?

That said, this entire conversation is proving the "rabid defense" remark, earlier. It really shouldn't come to borderline aggressive posting whenever someone mentions the slightest deviance from development or wishlist or what other holy grails might be out there.

Moon Wizard
February 3rd, 2016, 18:12
I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this matter, and I do truly understand everyone's positions. And I appreciate the supportive words.

If people would like to add additional commentary or weight to the forums on features, I'm fine with that. I might not always see it, but I try. I think some of the users that have been here a while are just trying to make sure it all gets captured and not lost.

The wish list is more of a white board or spread sheet of features I draw from. Many features have more votes simply because of their age or popularity, so I try to look at the wish list comprehensively. Also, I have to balance this with new product DLC considerations as well as business and technology needs.

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread, because I think it has run its course.

Thanks,
JPG